Screen flip ala gateway cx2000s FOR IBOOK MOD

Posted by: xbetterforworsex

Screen flip ala gateway cx2000s FOR IBOOK MOD - 10/30/05 05:33 AM

Has anyone ever seen one of these style laptops taken apart? I'm trying to figure out the twist deal with the monitor.

Post edited by: xbetterforworsex, at: 2005/10/30 16:28
Posted by: destructospin

Re:Screen flip ala gateway cx2000s - 10/30/05 06:30 AM

this isn't an appropriate forum for that kind of question....
try some other PC forums online, try Google-ing an answer
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re:Screen flip ala gateway cx2000s - 10/30/05 06:46 AM

destructospin wrote:
Quote:

Maybe she wants to do this with a Mac using those parts. Maybe she just wants to toy with it. Maybe she wants to take those parts and forge a nuclear bomb. Who cares? There are people on here, myself included, that use PC parts for modding. Frankly, it's not "appropriate" for you to decide what should be posted here and what should be posted elsewhere. You’re not a moderator. B)

As for the question at hand... I don't know the answer whistle :pinch: :silly:

Post edited by: shadowboxer47, at: 2005/10/30 14:48

Re:Screen flip ala gateway cx2000s - 10/30/05 08:28 AM

shadowboxer47 wrote:
Quote:
destructospin wrote:
Quote:

Maybe she wants to do this with a Mac using those parts. Maybe she just wants to toy with it. Maybe she wants to take those parts and forge a nuclear bomb. Who cares? There are people on here, myself included, that use PC parts for modding.

exactly. I'm trying to figure out if I can mod an ibook (15") into a swivel screen itablet ie something along the lines of a gateway cx2000s

Thanks anyway shadowboxer.
Posted by: destructospin

Re:Screen flip ala gateway cx2000s - 10/30/05 08:30 AM

being that there was no further information given, i assumed it "inappropriate"
it seemed the person was asking about a pc laptop, perhaps to buy
without the information on the ibook mod/conversion, how was i to know?
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re:Screen flip ala gateway cx2000s - 10/30/05 08:40 AM

I imagein that they used a rounded cable setup that helps the LCD swivel around easyly. My best guest is to rewire the LCD from a flat ribbon like cable to a round cable and rebuild the mounts and add some sort of a swivel. Thing is you won't beable to make it turn 360 or more.

Re:Screen flip ala gateway cx2000s - 10/30/05 09:00 AM

TCPMeta wrote:
Quote:
I imagein that they used a rounded cable setup that helps the LCD swivel around easyly. My best guest is to rewire the LCD from a flat ribbon like cable to a round cable and rebuild the mounts and add some sort of a swivel. Thing is you won't beable to make it turn 360 or more.

That might actauly work just fine. I only need it to swivle 180 cause I want it to lay back down on the keyboard. That just might do that trick. Now anybody know a good place that will sell you a LCD touch screen? I'm thinking of just buying a broken table pc and useing the screen from that? Dunno how that wil go though.

Re:Screen flip ala gateway cx2000s - 10/30/05 10:23 AM

Checkout ebay for a touch screen LCD. Heres a few samples for a search.

POS system
Par register
LCD touch
Touch screen

The only problem is that you will end up disabling the built on LCD and using the other LCD though the VGA on the ibook. For the touch function to work you would need a touch screen that uses a USB or Firewire connection. Avoid serial connections because iBooks don't have serials. Unless you can find a Serial to USB converter then you can use a Serial based touch screen.

Post edited by: TCPMeta, at: 2005/10/30 18:25
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:Screen flip ala gateway cx2000s - 10/30/05 12:23 PM

troll touch has some nice ones. There are also clear covers you can put over the screen for somewhat limted touch, but not too bad. Also, infared (IIRC) adapters you can use to achieve the same effect.
Posted by: photoworkplace

Re:Screen flip ala gateway cx2000s FOR IBOOK MOD - 10/30/05 06:13 PM

I would take a look at these people

http://www.screentekinc.com/

Using something with a Wacom digitizer is
a better solution than what a pressure
sensitive screen gives you which is in
essence only mouse emulation.
But the real issue is even if you get it
working there are really no programs to
make full use of the inking capability.

For what you are talking about I think you
would have a better chance of putting the
iBook guts into the PC case than getting
the hinge to fit in an iBook
You might want to think of a hinge and
slider mechanism such as this. Even if you
have to make a connector that allows you to
unplug adjust the screen and than plug the
connector back in.

One last note I have responded to this post
using nothing but a 3lb. slate PC
Traitor you might say! Yes but I am
a Professional and I need tools not
ideology to get my Job done.
Unfortunately Mr. Jobs does not want to
offer us these tools.
Joseph

Re:Screen flip ala gateway cx2000s FOR IBOOK MOD - 10/31/05 02:35 AM

TCPMeta wrote:
Quote:
Checkout ebay for a touch screen LCD. Heres a few samples for a search.

POS system
Par register
LCD touch
Touch screen

The only problem is that you will end up disabling the built on LCD and using the other LCD though the VGA on the ibook. For the touch function to work you would need a touch screen that uses a USB or Firewire connection. Avoid serial connections because iBooks don't have serials. Unless you can find a Serial to USB converter then you can use a Serial based touch screen.Post edited by: TCPMeta, at: 2005/10/30 18:25

I've been looking for a usb or fireone one on ebay, but mosly all I can find are installed in monitor ELO ones. I'm going to keep looking though.

oojacoboo wrote:
Quote:
troll touch has some nice ones. There are also clear covers you can put over the screen for somewhat limted touch, but not too bad. Also, infared (IIRC) adapters you can use to achieve the same effect.

I looked at troll touch but they didnt seem to have any parts, but pre built. Am I wrong??? I might have missed it. Link me?

photoworkplace wrote:
Quote:
I would take a look at these people

http://www.screentekinc.com/

Using something with a Wacom digitizer is
a better solution than what a pressure
sensitive screen gives you which is in
essence only mouse emulation.
But the real issue is even if you get it
working there are really no programs to
make full use of the inking capability.

For what you are talking about I think you
would have a better chance of putting the
iBook guts into the PC case than getting
the hinge to fit in an iBook
You might want to think of a hinge and
slider mechanism such as this. Even if you
have to make a connector that allows you to
unplug adjust the screen and than plug the
connector back in.

One last note I have responded to this post
using nothing but a 3lb. slate PC
Traitor you might say! Yes but I am
a Professional and I need tools not
ideology to get my Job done.
Unfortunately Mr. Jobs does not want to
offer us these tools.
Joseph

Yeah I like the wacom better as well. But I really wanted to make this out of an ibook. I think I can build something pretty easily to use to flip it around. That part I'm not worried about anymore. Now I'm more interested in running the drivers for the interface.
And your itable sounds awesome, from what I've read. I just really want to be able to utilize both parts, as I am a webdesigner and I work in real estate. I really need to have a keyboard. smile

Re:Screen flip ala gateway cx2000s FOR IBOOK MOD - 10/31/05 03:23 AM

Having been working with a pure "slate" style of computer for a while having a physical keyboard ever-present takes up a lot of space.
A Bluetooth keyboard and mouse back in the office go's a long way.

These people make a very nice onscreen keyboard
AssistiveWare - Assistive Technology Products.webloc

Also here are some places to check out

http://digitalww.com/121TSK.htm
http://www.magictouch.com/products.html
http://www.cybertouch.com/index.html

This is the new Troll Touch screen that if you wanted to play with you could probably get it to work

http://www.trolltouch.com/slipcover.html

Hope this helps
Joseph
Posted by: maestro

Re:Screen flip ala gateway cx2000s FOR IBOOK MOD - 10/31/05 08:26 AM

xbetterforworsex, first what are your modding capabilities? I say this not to offend you, but to say this
mod you seek will be very high on the difficulty scale. You may want to start with something easier, unless you
have a lot of modding experience. Im not trying to shut this idea down, its a great idea, but it will take quite a bit
of cash and engineering skill.

-maestro

Re:Screen flip ala gateway cx2000s FOR IBOOK MOD - 10/31/05 12:29 PM

Never know, I've seen frist timers go way beyond what most modders havn't done or prefected. For a example my frist project was taking 13 386 Acers and craming all of them into a trunk and running them as a beowolf cluster for a local BBS server. All I knew then was how to take a PC apart and clean out the dust lol.

Re:Screen flip ala gateway cx2000s FOR IBOOK MOD - 10/31/05 05:25 PM

Well let me say this about the whole matter!
"Necessity is the Mother of Invention"
I am a person who likes building things that I need. So to tell the truth the iTablet was my first "Mod".
And very well might be my last, or at least until I am faced with the problem of not being able to find the tool that I need to get the job done.
So weather it is your first or fiftieth if it is something that you really need the odds are you'll get it done!
Will it be the best or prettiest ? If it is doing what you need it to do you will cut it a lot of slack
Joseph

Re:Screen flip ala gateway cx2000s FOR IBOOK MOD - 12/09/05 06:50 AM

maestro wrote:
Quote:
xbetterforworsex, first what are your modding capabilities? I say this not to offend you, but to say this
mod you seek will be very high on the difficulty scale. You may want to start with something easier, unless you
have a lot of modding experience. Im not trying to shut this idea down, its a great idea, but it will take quite a bit
of cash and engineering skill.

-maestro

I'm just coming out of a really busy season so I haven't been able to do anyhting with this. BUT I did go to school for audio engineering and I understand signal flow and can solder like crazy. It's my first mac mod idea, but I don't think I'll be gatting aroud to it until after the holidays. But then I definatly WILL try it! I have an old ibook that my roommate laft behind and it works, so I'm going to use that. smile