AlBook Hack To Dual-Boot OS 9/X?

Posted by: JediJoker7169

AlBook Hack To Dual-Boot OS 9/X? - 10/08/05 06:35 PM

One of the things I'm unhappy with about my PB G4 12" is that it won't dual-boot OS 9 and X. Can you hack the firmware to allow it to? I know why Apple got rid of support, but I really wish they hadn't. And, thinking into the future, do you think they'll still have Classic support for the x86 version of Tiger? I would assume it will be gone in Leopard, but what about Tiger? It shouldn't be too much trouble, seeing as the Mactels will probably have a base level 2.66 or above processor.
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re:AlBook Hack To Dual-Boot OS 9/X? - 10/08/05 08:38 PM

Apple won't wase their time with porting OS 9 to a x86 CPU.

Re:AlBook Hack To Dual-Boot OS 9/X? - 10/08/05 09:09 PM

That wasn't what I was suggesting... I was thinking that they might have an emulator built-in to the Rosetta system. Since Rosetta is supposedly "no lag," putting OS 9 on top of it shouldn't really be much of a problem. You are correct, though: a port would be pointless.
Posted by: maestro

Re:AlBook Hack To Dual-Boot OS 9/X? - 10/09/05 02:53 AM

Why in the world would you want to use OS9? No matter, you can use classic. I know its not the same. You could always sell you book and buy one that is dual boot.
-maestro
Posted by: mordaskyt

Re:AlBook Hack To Dual-Boot OS 9/X? - 10/09/05 03:37 AM

The last book to dual boot is the 1ghz titanium, I believe. A VERY nice book at that.
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re:AlBook Hack To Dual-Boot OS 9/X? - 10/09/05 06:14 AM

Get an older machine wink

Post edited by: shadowboxer47, at: 2005/10/09 13:15

Re:AlBook Hack To Dual-Boot OS 9/X? - 10/09/05 06:22 AM

I wouldn't give up this computer, and I have an old iMac that I suppose I could use, but I would need to put more RAM into it. I was just hoping there would be some way to do it on my primary machine, and I'm not giving up hope. I have a friend who just hacked his iBook G3 (solid white with opaque keyboard) to run while closed, so he could use an external screen effectively, so I think this could be done. It may be more work than it's worth, but oh well. As far as why, there are still apps that I use that haven't been ported to OS X, and running them in classic is, well, inefficient. And since the processor in this 'Book is only 1.33 GHz, I can't really keep it running in the background all the time, which would make it less inefficient, but still... OS 9 was a great OS, safer in many ways than OS X, and I really think Apple should keep that in mind.

Re:AlBook Hack To Dual-Boot OS 9/X? - 10/09/05 06:23 AM

I wouldn't give up this computer, and I have an old iMac that I suppose I could use, but I would need to put more RAM into it. I was just hoping there would be some way to do it on my primary machine, and I'm not giving up hope. I have a friend who just hacked his iBook G3 (solid white with opaque keyboard) to run while closed, so he could use an external screen effectively, so I think this could be done. It may be more work than it's worth, but oh well. As far as why, there are still apps that I use that haven't been ported to OS X, and running them in classic is, well, inefficient. And since the processor in this 'Book is only 1.33 GHz, I can't really keep it running in the background all the time, which would make it less inefficient, but still... OS 9 was a great OS, safer in many ways than OS X, and I really think Apple should keep that in mind.
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re:AlBook Hack To Dual-Boot OS 9/X? - 10/09/05 07:04 AM

I'm with you on that. I have many pro apps in classic that I use all the time. Since they do the job, I see no reason in spending $$$ on buying an OSX version.

There's always hope. If you get it to work, do a Mod Guide! laugh
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re:AlBook Hack To Dual-Boot OS 9/X? - 10/09/05 09:14 AM

I know with PCs you can use like Lilo and GRUB from Linux to boot multiple OSes with out Linux being on the system. Can't you do that with Yabboot?

Re:AlBook Hack To Dual-Boot OS 9/X? - 10/09/05 04:20 PM

I found Yaboot, but the file I downloaded is in the fomat ".deb" ... What do I do with it? :S

Re:AlBook Hack To Dual-Boot OS 9/X? - 10/14/05 07:06 PM

Is .deb a Debian file type? If so, I still don't know what to do with Yaboot. :S
Posted by: anil8tor

Re:AlBook Hack To Dual-Boot OS 9/X? - 10/15/05 12:14 AM

Apparently .deb files are compressed Debian files that can be converted to .tar or .gz with this pearl-script. What good this does us? I donít know. I think you need to find the file in a .pkg file instead... You might try this: http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2001/05/msg01020.html
Good Luck!
B)

Edit: Oh yeh, yaboot is a boot loader, its used to choose between several OS's on the same machine smile

Post edited by: anil8tor, at: 2005/10/15 07:17
Posted by: burtman

Re:AlBook Hack To Dual-Boot OS 9/X? - 10/15/05 05:42 AM

yaboot is a bootloader that is used at boot time to pick an operating system to load. Macs that can dual boot allow you to pick the OS to boot from a control pannel. Even if you did install it it's not going to help you boot OS 9, because your Mac is missing the Mac OS ROM chip that OS 9 looks for at boot (thats what apple removed when they dropped OS 9 Support). Unfourtunetly thier is not a lot you can do about that.

Re:AlBook Hack To Dual-Boot OS 9/X? - 10/15/05 07:09 AM

Well crap... It was worth a try...