Cheap Cooling Solution

Posted by: JediJoker7169

Cheap Cooling Solution - 08/30/05 12:38 PM

You know those foam sheets that shipping companies and the postal service sometimes use to cushion packages? It makes an excellent cheap cooling pad. It takes on and sheds heat well, and is suprisingly supportive of weight. My 12" AlBook does not sink into it at all. This would be especially useful for the owners of wooden and/or pressboard desks, which don't do a very good job of shedding heat, but sure do collect it easily.
Posted by: KnifeLord

Re:Cheap Cooling Solution - 08/30/05 12:51 PM

Great idea Jedi, thanx for the tip!

-Knife

Re:Cheap Cooling Solution - 08/30/05 04:13 PM

A way to improve the effectiveness of this external heatsink is to place a sheet of cardboard on top of it. If you plan on making this a permanent component, you might consider glueing the cardboard to the foam. You can put one on the bottom, too.

Re:Cheap Cooling Solution - 08/31/05 11:54 AM

Just to be clear, I am talking about the sheets that have all those little bumps on them, not the flat ones. With the flat ones, you get no ventilation. Heheh... Sorry if I screwed anyone up. Another good, cheap pad is one with a cardboard bottom and sliced-in-half-lengthwise corks glued down so they form iscoceles right triangles with the corners. There is no need for a cardboard top. This is actually better than the bumpy foam.