backlit keyboard on an ibook

Posted by: davet608

backlit keyboard on an ibook - 03/02/05 05:35 AM

I just bought an new ibook! I love it! but I would like to have a backlit keyboard. Does anyone know of an aftermarket keyboard that can be bought? Ive seen tutorials on using 0.5mm fiber optic cable but it just looked kinda hoky. Any help would be greatly apreciated!

Thanks!!!

Dave
Posted by: whitlock

Re:backlit keyboard on an ibook - 03/02/05 05:52 AM

Other than stealing a PB's keyboard, I think you would have to mod it. I spent a few minutes searching around and could not find any aftermarket keyboards for an iBook.

Good luck!
Posted by: davet608

Re:backlit keyboard on an ibook - 03/02/05 06:19 AM

Will a powerbook keyboard fit a 14 inch ibook? do they have all the same conections and so on? Will thew backlite on the PB keyboard even work if it was placed on a ibook?

Thanks again!

Dave
Posted by: Tayklor

backlit keyboard on an ibook - 07/10/06 10:21 AM

I like the .5 mm FO cable. OK
Posted by: Tayklor

No Pb - 07/10/06 10:22 AM

:secret: I like the .5 mm FO cable. OK
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: backlit keyboard on an ibook - 11/17/06 06:49 AM

Small LEDs used in cell hones could work and tap into the +5v line and ground to a USB.
Posted by: 987687

Re: backlit keyboard on an ibook - 11/17/06 08:18 AM

It depends on what iBook you have, the older ones have a clear keys and light would go through them. The newer ones have opaque keys so it wouldn't work. I have actually thought about backlighting the keyboard on my clamshell iBook.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: backlit keyboard on an ibook - 11/17/06 03:07 PM

You can swap the keys from an older iBook to get the translucent ones. I imagine PowerBook keys would fit too, but the keyboards themselves are not interchangeable. There are several different versions of th backlit keyboard, none of which will fit an iBook (or much else). The keyboard itself is not the whole shebang. PowerBooks shipped with the backlit version have two ambient light sensors which sit under the speaker grilles and connect to the logic board. The top case is also a different part on the PowerBooks where the backlight was optional.