Software mods on your PowerBook?

Posted by: honestpuck

Software mods on your PowerBook? - 06/05/04 05:55 AM

Hi all,

I'm the proud owner of a 15" PowerBook and I'm wondering what sort of hacks people have done to the software, since I'm a software geek.

Personally I've only just started and I've done a couple of neat shell hacks :-

If you find it annoying that man pages disappear when you return to the shell, or that the file you are paging thorugh with less also goes try this in '.profile' in your home directory

LESS="-X" ; export LESS

Or if you'd like ls to display different file types in different colours

CLICOLOR="yes" ; export CLICOLOR

Tony Williams
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:Software mods on your PowerBook? - 06/05/04 06:04 AM

Thanks for that info Tony! Do you have any serious software mods that you could post in the software mod guides. We are trying to build up our database and everything at this point can help! What kind of software hacks are you looking for, I may be able to help ya out. Are you looking for hacks that are going to be specific to the powerbook? Or just overall app and OS hacks that are applied to all machines?
Posted by: scottk

Re:Software mods on your PowerBook? - 06/05/04 05:44 PM

If anyone has any ichat mods, I'd love it! I use ichat 12 hours a day, but it's so plain compared to AOL IM. But it's just cool to use Apple software!!
Posted by: mark

Re:Software mods on your PowerBook? - 06/06/04 01:33 AM

Have you tried Resexcellence.com for some ichat mods? They tend to have that sort of stuff
Posted by: krusher117

Re:Software mods on your PowerBook? - 06/06/04 02:00 AM

This ian't nesc an ichat mod, but there is a widget for konfabulato that displays ichat activity on your screen. For instnace, a transulacent bubble pops up and says "susan is online"

Re:Software mods on your PowerBook? - 06/06/04 01:27 PM

Konfabulator slooooows down my machine so bad. I don't run it. I like it, but it's a pain for me.

I am going to look at resexcellence and see. I never noticed much besides splash screens in terms of mods, so I'll see what I've been missing.

Re:Software mods on your PowerBook? - 06/06/04 02:56 PM

Scott, please be sure and let us know what you discover. Also, if it is anything note worthy we could post the mod as a guide.
Posted by: krusher117

Re:Software mods on your PowerBook? - 06/06/04 05:16 PM

I agree. knfabulator is a hog which is why I don't use it either. My friend has a ibook G3 500 running panther, konfabulat, and ichat, and all the other apps you might want to use. I don't know how he can stand it.

Re:Software mods on your PowerBook? - 06/07/04 12:54 AM

I will absolutely keep you posted.

And FWIW, I think Konfabulator is a great invention. But when you get the spinning rainbow of death/happiness each time you do something, it's a real mood killer.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re:Software mods on your PowerBook? - 06/09/04 02:19 AM

Although OS X is so much stabler than previous OSs, I still shy away from most software hacks I just don't have the time to debug my machine when I have work to do.

With that said, Unsanity Software is an awesome place with all their "Haxies".

If you are wanting to change the 'look' of your machine, kind of like Konfabulator, check out their ShapeShifter software. Very neat.

Personally, I like their ClearDock software.
Posted by: TutAnGeek

Re:Software mods on your PowerBook? - 06/13/04 06:37 AM

As for iChat mods, I can reccommend iChatStatus, which will automatically change your iChatStatus on a set interval using AppleScripts.I know that some people like GeekTool but personally I think it's cumbersome. MenuMeters is very cool and will show many statistics in your menu bar (Now that you have that wide-screen action going on there, there should be pleny of menu-bar real estate wink ).

And of course, one can never forget the all handy LaunchBar.

And all of the stuff from unsanity smile

Re:Software mods on your PowerBook? - 06/13/04 06:58 AM

Tutan, never played around with any of these apps for ichat. The only thing that I have used is the konfabulator AIM status module. I will have to try these out.

Cheers.