can I put a PB screen into a MBP?

Posted by: mansfield

can I put a PB screen into a MBP? - 12/22/09 03:51 AM

Hi there,

I'm just wondering if my old 15" Power book G4 screen would fit into a Mac Book Pro of the same size? Not the newest generation of mac book pro's, but the one before, that has the same housing as the power books had.

The main thing I wan to know is if the connector from the screen to the mother board is the same on each model?

My friend has a mac book pro with a broken screen, and I have a power book G4 that is a bit dated spec wise. I would love to combine the two.

any suggestions?

Thanks

PB screen in MBP? - 12/22/09 06:27 AM

Hi there,

I'm just wondering if my old 15" Power book G4 screen would fit into a Mac Book Pro of the same size? Not the newest generation of mac book pro's, but the one before, that has the same housing as the power books had.

The main thing I wan to know is if the connector from the screen to the mother board is the same on each model?

My friend has a mac book pro with a broken screen, and I have a power book G4 that is a bit dated spec wise. I would love to combine the two.

any suggestions?

Thanks
Posted by: Jim_

Re: PB screen in MBP? - 12/22/09 07:05 AM

I'd say if neither machine is functioning take them apart and see. It doesn't take long to pop off the top cases and see if the connectors are the same.

I highly doubt it will work though.

Re: PB screen in MBP? - 12/22/09 08:39 AM

problem is the power book works fine and the mac book works fine if plugged into a monitor, so I'd quite like to know before having to open them both up.

Might just have to give it a go though...

Re: PB screen in MBP? - 12/22/09 11:07 AM

Looking at the service manuals the LVDS connectors don't seem to be the same. Also the inverter board and cables and connectors look different and hook up in different places.

Re: PB screen in MBP? - 12/22/09 01:29 PM

Thanks Reboot. you have saved me a lot of time taking two computers apart just to find out they are not compatible. So thanks for that I hope you have a very merry Christmas!!

Re: PB screen in MBP? - 12/22/09 01:33 PM

Glad to help, and thanks.

And welcome to the forums, or welcome back if you were at MacMod.