Macbook slot loading DVD drive in a iBook G3?

Posted by: Daremo

Macbook slot loading DVD drive in a iBook G3? - 07/20/09 03:57 AM

Hey guys,

My first post here. I recently picked up a dirt cheap 600Mhz iBook G3. I bought it for my daughter to use (she's 7) and it only has a CD tray loading drive in it. I have a spare superdrive slot loading DVD drive from a white Macbook, and I know I'll have to do some sort of case mod, but is it possible to install that drive into the iBook?

Basically she uses it to go to Disney.com, and other kid sites, and she wants to watch her DVD movies on it, and since I have this drive, I'll love to attempt this project.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Macbook slot loading DVD drive in a iBook G3? - 07/20/09 06:29 AM

That should work fine actually. The only issue in theory is the height of the slot and the drivers. If you have an OS that is the same or later than the one which shipped with the MacBook, you should be golden.

This is in theory, never having tried it, I cannot be 100%.
Posted by: legomactrumpet

Re: Macbook slot loading DVD drive in a iBook G3? - 07/20/09 07:43 PM

he's right, watch out for sata vs. ata connections

also you will have to come up with a new cover to have it look good wink
http://www.mcetech.com/ibg3dvdr8dl.html
may help
Posted by: Daremo

Re: Macbook slot loading DVD drive in a iBook G3? - 07/20/09 11:56 PM

Beautiful! Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to look into doing this.
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: Macbook slot loading DVD drive in a iBook G3? - 07/22/09 04:46 AM

You can use a SATA drive in a ATA controller but you'll need a adapter but I would keep it safe and stick with the proper controller type. As for driver support it should work fine but you might have issues with burning support but if you're using Leopard you should be just fine. If you're using Tiger you can use the PatchBurn driver.