MacBook 2C2D with 4gb ram?

Posted by: TonimusMaximus

MacBook 2C2D with 4gb ram? - 01/11/09 06:48 AM

Allright guys. I've got a MB MA700LL. Max ram per Apple is 2gb. Reports are three. I ordered 2-2gb sticks, tossed them in and tadaa! The "About this Mac" window says I've got 4gb installed. System profiler says 4gb installed. However, the iStat widget totals 3gb. Any ideas why there's a discrepancy?
Posted by: whitlock

Re: MacBook 2C2D with 4gb ram? - 01/11/09 11:09 AM

I have a MB C2D Late 2006 (2nd ver. MB), though it was the black version. I remember that when it came out there was a lot of talk about the fact this. SO...

Long story short, the way the board & proc are designed they can't actually use that extra 1GB of RAM.

Re: MacBook 2C2D with 4gb ram? - 01/11/09 04:12 PM

That's cool. At least it's a lot snappier with 3gb compared to 1gb.
Posted by: Antonio

Re: MacBook 2C2D with 4gb ram? - 01/16/09 09:40 AM

The best way to know for sure if it's using the RAM (especially considering System Profiler recognizes it) is to open up the Activity Monitor, open up enough apps to use up that much memory (Firefox and Photoshop are great for this) and keep an eye on the system memory at the bottom to see if it's actually being allocated.

Re: MacBook 2C2D with 4gb ram? - 01/16/09 04:06 PM

Attached is the Activity Monitor ram readout. Does inactive ram count as allocated? I had EVERYTHING running. Office, iWork, Photoshop, Reader, DVD stuff, audio stuff and so on. This is maxed out.

Re: MacBook 2C2D with 4gb ram? - 01/16/09 06:17 PM

Yes. Inactive simply indicates that it is reserved, in case it needs to be used, but is not actively being used. According to the little pie chart at the right, your MacBook is indeed recognizing and using all 4 gigabytes of RAM.

Congratulations! ;D 8)
Posted by: whitlock

Re: MacBook 2C2D with 4gb ram? - 01/16/09 06:55 PM

Wow, that's freaking crazy! It's not supposed to...but eh, it kinda shows it working. Then again, it stops @ 2.99GB used. Any way to push it past 3?

Re: MacBook 2C2D with 4gb ram? - 01/16/09 07:09 PM

Open a few more Photoshop files?
I mean, you look at the rest of the data, and it appears to already be using more than 3.

I would also have a look at the list, to get a detailed look at what applications are using specifically.

Re: MacBook 2C2D with 4gb ram? - 01/17/09 06:47 AM

No matter what I open, I can't get Used ram over 2.99gb. Everything past that gets dumped into virtual memory. I think that's the answer. Yes, the OS sees it. No, it can't use it.

Re: MacBook 2C2D with 4gb ram? - 01/17/09 12:41 PM

Yeah, that sounds about right. When you add the numbers up from the chart, it comes to 2.98436 Gb. At first glance, it just looks like more.

Ah, well. Three is still not lacking.

Re: MacBook 2C2D with 4gb ram? - 01/17/09 03:47 PM

Nope. I'm still happy with three. I got a pretty good deal on 4gb, so when I upgrade my MB, I know I've got ram for it.