iBook Superdrive in Macbook?

Posted by: TonimusMaximus

iBook Superdrive in Macbook? - 01/05/09 08:15 PM

Greetings guys! I finally got myself a MacBook. 2gHz C2D, but it's got a combo drive. I was wondering if the MacBooks use the same drive as the G4 iBooks, or if it uses the thinner drive that the MBP. Thanks for your help guys.

Re: iBook Superdrive in Macbook? - 01/06/09 12:10 AM

Well, as it turns out, I do have a superdrive. It's not the newer model MB that the guy said it was, it's an older 2gHz, but has a superdrive. No big deal as I only paid $500 for it. Tomorrow I'm off to call Apple to see if I can get them to replace the battery. 93 cycles and 0mA.
Posted by: whitlock

Re: iBook Superdrive in Macbook? - 01/06/09 05:22 AM

Wow, that's a pretty good deal (in my opinion) for that computer. I purchased a Black C2D MacBook when they were brand spanking new for something shy of $1500.

Maybe the machine has AppleCare on it. Check the serial on the Apple support site if your not sure.
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: iBook Superdrive in Macbook? - 01/06/09 07:52 AM

The super drive is a Pioneer DVD+RW DVR series. Good news is they're cheap for the desktops but kinda hard to find for laptops and netbooks. For some reason they cost more with the apple logo slapped on it. They're the same, PPC and x86 compatible.

Re: iBook Superdrive in Macbook? - 01/06/09 10:06 PM

Lo-and-behold, the macbook drive is slimmer. Also, no warranty on it, but I did get Apple to agree to send me a brand spanking new battery. He gave me one of those silicone keyboard covers and a zippered case for free. The only downside is that the drive is only 80gb. TCP, the Apple drives have apple firmware installed on them to make them 100% boot compatible. Most drives are compatible, but may or may not work with all boot disks/burning options.
Posted by: flippy10

Re: iBook Superdrive in Macbook? - 01/08/09 09:54 AM

Originally Posted By: "TonimusMaximus"
Lo-and-behold, the macbook drive is slimmer. Also, no warranty on it, but I did get Apple to agree to send me a brand spanking new battery. He gave me one of those silicone keyboard covers and a zippered case for free. The only downside is that the drive is only 80gb. TCP, the Apple drives have apple firmware installed on them to make them 100% boot compatible. Most drives are compatible, but may or may not work with all boot disks/burning options.

I can vouch for this. I've done swaps with the UJ series drives before, and had a "PC" one refuse to boot off CDs but would mount them fine once booted into OS X.

How much slimmer is it? Think it'd be possible with a bit of Dremel action? wink
Posted by: Antonio

Re: iBook Superdrive in Macbook? - 01/16/09 10:01 AM

Originally Posted By: "flippy10"
Originally Posted By: "TonimusMaximus"

I can vouch for this. I've done swaps with the UJ series drives before, and had a "PC" one refuse to boot off CDs but would mount them fine once booted into OS X.

How much slimmer is it? Think it'd be possible with a bit of Dremel action? wink

The drive will fit, it's the case you'd have to dremel, to get the slot to line up with the drive opening.
Posted by: gordongartrel

Re: iBook Superdrive in Macbook? - 02/03/09 08:01 AM

Hi there !

I want to have confirmation about installing an ibook superdrive or a combo drive into a macbook

Because drive like UJ-825-C ibook superdrive cost less and dremeling is not a problem wink
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: iBook Superdrive in Macbook? - 02/03/09 11:43 AM

iBook and PowerBook optical drives will work in MacBooks (and MBPs) but you won't get the lid back on. The older drives are 12mm, Intel notebooks use 9.5mm drives. These are getting rare because the ATA versions have stopped production. Unibody units are using SATA ones.

FYI, Applecare does not cover MacBook batteries up to two years old under 300 cycles (or showing an X on the menu bar).
As for PC drives, I suspect the new slimline units have fewer firmware issues than the older ones but I have never actually found any non-Apple 9.5mm ATA drives for sale.

Bottom line is you cannot fit an iBook superdrive in a MacBook.