Iwant to turnmy Powerbook expansion slot into ipodtouch slot

Posted by: SwayProductions

Iwant to turnmy Powerbook expansion slot into ipodtouch slot - 11/06/08 08:16 AM

I removed my powerbooks expansion slot and i want to enlarge it a little so that an ipod touch fits through the slot. On the inside i want to put the ipod charger so when the ipod touch slides in it connects to the charger. Now, what would i have to do to connect the charger to the usb from inside the powerbook? Any ideas? confused

[img]http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/macproject1tv1ys6.jpg/[/img]

[img]http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/macproject2jt1rv3.jpg/[/img]
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re: Iwant to turnmy Powerbook expansion slot into ipodtouch slot - 11/06/08 10:02 AM

your going to have to find the usb connection on the board and solder the wire onto it. I would check out the itablet for information on how this was done with an ibook. It might be pretty similar for the powerbook board.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Iwant to turnmy Powerbook expansion slot into ipodtouch slot - 11/06/08 12:24 PM

Its worth casting an eye over the board for unused pinholes. If you are lucky, there might be one labelled USB. Otherwise look for groups of four or five holes. If there are no unused ones, you might get away with soldering to the pins on one of your existing sockets. As long as you don't use it while the iPod is connected, it should remain perfectly serviceable as an external port.

Nice idea btw.

Re: Iwant to turnmy Powerbook expansion slot into ipodtouch slot - 11/06/08 01:31 PM

Thanks for the help guys...So what your tellin me is that i can solder the 4 ipod charger usb cables to the usb port?

[img]http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/usbyk9.jpg/[/img]
Posted by: legomactrumpet

Re: Iwant to turnmy Powerbook expansion slot into ipodtouch slot - 11/06/08 03:24 PM

i am interested in how you are going to slide the ipod in with out scraching it

Re: Iwant to turnmy Powerbook expansion slot into ipodtouch slot - 11/06/08 05:45 PM

sway, you might be able to find contacts on the inside of the system for that port...

Re: Iwant to turnmy Powerbook expansion slot into ipodtouch slot - 11/07/08 07:19 AM

Ok, so i went out and bought a soldering iron last night, went home and looked at the powerbook motherboard...WTF! After probably 30 minutes and not finding any pin holes i didnt know what to do...So i say f**k it and pulled the usb port contacts out from the inside and soldered the wires onto the pins, i had no idea if it was going to work, i never soldered anything before or even thought about touching a motherboard. Ok, so i took the ipod charger thats inside the powerbook now and pulled it out the expansion slot so i can test it when i put the top back on the powerbook. So i power it on and let it boot up, i pluged my ipod to the charger and WHOA! to my amazement, it worked! But now i have one less usb port, but it doesnt matter to me. Thanx alot for the help guys, now i have to enlarge the slot for the ipod to fit through. Any ideas on what tool to use to enlarge the slot a little bit?? Thanx!
Posted by: mordaskyt

Re: Iwant to turnmy Powerbook expansion slot into ipodtouch slot - 11/07/08 07:44 AM

The aluminum is very thin, I would just use a utility knife and a lot of patience.

Re: Iwant to turnmy Powerbook expansion slot into ipodtouch slot - 11/07/08 02:01 PM

yea, I am with mordasky here, but you might have a time with a knife, you might be better off using a file of some sort. A dremel is another option with a small head on it.
Posted by: mordaskyt

Re: Iwant to turnmy Powerbook expansion slot into ipodtouch slot - 11/08/08 04:29 AM

Yeah what can I say, I am a graphic artist, my answer to everything is an Xacto...
Posted by: soundmann18

Re: Iwant to turnmy Powerbook expansion slot into ipodtouch slot - 11/10/08 10:50 AM

I don't think I'd use a dremel, it's a bit overkill and could easily result in cutting away too much. Jeweler's files are probably the right tool, tho I've never used them for anything. Perhaps you could attach a bit of felt to the edges like on the CD drive for some scratch protection. And if there's room, I'd look in to making a compartment that is sealed to prevent stuff getting in to the internals of the computer except for in your iPod touch port.

Re: Iwant to turnmy Powerbook expansion slot into ipodtouch slot - 11/12/08 10:06 PM

OK, i used the jeweler file (thnx guys), came out pretty good. The ipod touch slides in easily....i have one problem the airport extreme in in the way so i have no idea how am going to put the ipod cable so that the ipod slides in and plugs right in. I thought about removing the airport extreme but then no wifi would suck...Any ideas?
Here are a couple pics of the ipod slot...

[img][img]

Re: Iwant to turnmy Powerbook expansion slot into ipodtouch slot - 11/13/08 02:31 PM

how about replacing the hard drive with a solid state drive SSD, and trying to put that in the same location? Maybe remove the optical? I am afraid you are going to have to remove something to be able to make it work...

Re: Iwant to turnmy Powerbook expansion slot into ipodtouch slot - 11/17/08 02:39 PM

Will it work if i remove the airport extreme and solder a wireless USB inside?
Posted by: TonimusMaximus

Re: Iwant to turnmy Powerbook expansion slot into ipodtouch slot - 11/17/08 04:32 PM

Doesn't the iPod charge off of the USB? Wireless would kill that. If you removed the airport card, you could make a bracket to hold the plug to retain that functionality.