Question on the iBook 500 Hardware Mod for Overclocking

Posted by: JaysAtomic

Question on the iBook 500 Hardware Mod for Overclocking - 08/06/08 06:51 PM

Hello,

In the process of customizing an old iBook for a fun project. I was reading the resistor mod for overclocking. Im not necessarily interested in overclocking the CPU, I would probably leave that at 500, but I would change the FSB to 100 vs the factory 66.

My question is, for anyone who has done this mod, is the difference between the factory 66mhz and the overclocked 100mhz noticibly different? Are we talking a couple percent better? Ten percent better? More?

I have tons of experience with small component soldering, so Im not worried about the task. More concearned with the effort vs. the return of performance. If its not going to be noticible, or barely noticible, I will probably opt to just leave it as is.

Any info is appreciated!

Thanks!
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re: Question on the iBook 500 Hardware Mod for Overclocking - 08/07/08 10:33 AM

Jays, welcome to MacMod!

You might check this out, although it might not be compat with your processor version, I don't recall...

http://www.swieskowski.net/icook/

Also, I think this is the information you are looking for!

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/ibook_2001_overclock/ibook4.html

Re: Question on the iBook 500 Hardware Mod for Overclocking - 08/07/08 01:36 PM

Sweet. That was better than what I was looking for, thanks!

Yeah, iCook doesnt appear to be compatible with my model. But from the benchmarks shown for the hardware mod, it looks to be definitely worth it.

Thanks again!

Re: Question on the iBook 500 Hardware Mod for Overclocking - 08/07/08 04:29 PM

So I took the plunge and did the mod. It actually didnt take as long as I thought it would. I was also replacing the hard drive so it was already apart. I decided to go with 600/100 and wow! You can see the results immediately! Very happy and highly recommend this mod!

Best advice I can give to anyone attempting this. Take your time! The best frame of reference I can think of for the size of the resistors you are working with is the size of a pin head, and you must solder very close to other solder points, so your margin of error is very tiny to say the least. Good eyes and a steady hand are a must!
Posted by: krusher117

Re: Question on the iBook 500 Hardware Mod for Overclocking - 08/15/08 07:34 AM

You're running Tiger on that thing?
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re: Question on the iBook 500 Hardware Mod for Overclocking - 08/15/08 09:34 AM

Jays,

You should make a guide and submit your mod to the challenge going on. At the very least you can get some participation gear and maybe even win one of the big prizes...

Re: Question on the iBook 500 Hardware Mod for Overclocking - 08/15/08 04:39 PM

Krusher117: Yep, runs Tiger perfectly fine. I did some research and found there was a lot of back and forth information on the web on whether or not Tiger or Panther was the better choice. Some people claimed Panther was faster. Others claimed Tiger was faster. Tiger is actually showing better performance in most categories on benchmark tests, but we are only talking very minimal gains. So for all purposes, I view them as equal. I ran both for a bit and decided to stick with Tiger.

oojacoboo: Yeah, I may put something together and submit it. I actually just made another mod today, although a rather simple one. I modified an Orinoco Wireless PC card to work in the airport slot under the keyboard. I didnt want to cut off the factory antenna of the iBook as some people have done to solder the antenna directly to the card in the event I get ahold of an actual airport card. So right now it sits in there, modified to fit, but unconnected to the factory wire. I get near full signal strength throughout my house as is! I was shocked. If I stray too far from the base station (like the opposite end of the house or outside), signal drops off quickly. However everywhere I normally use my machine comes in full strength. While this might not be ideal to take out in the world to hot spots, it suits my needs just fine at home and I have not eliminated the possibility of putting an airport card in there in the future. The Orinoco Gold card I picked up used for 5 bucks and has the same chipset as the airport card, so it literally is plug and play and the machine recognizes it immediately and reports it as an airport card. Not bad for 5 bucks smile