Clamshell iBook combo drive

Posted by: TonimusMaximus

Clamshell iBook combo drive - 03/29/08 12:21 PM

When I got my iBook G4, I gave my Clamshell iBook to my old lady. And when I put the Superdrive in my G4, I took the combo drive and put it in the Clamshell. Works great. I installed 10.3.3 off of the DVDs with it. However I'm encountering an odd snag. The operating system didn't install the DVD player. I used pacifist when I still had 10.2 on it and re-installed just the DVD player, but it refused to work as well. Does anyone have any ideas?

Update: I was able to use ARD to install the DVD player to the Clamshell, but I get error -70013 on start, says system is incompatible.
Posted by: 987687

Re: Clamshell iBook combo drive - 03/30/08 08:44 AM

You could try to use VLC to play DVDs

Re: Clamshell iBook combo drive - 03/30/08 01:18 PM

VLC won't start. It just plain won't launch. No error or anything. Just won't launch.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Clamshell iBook combo drive - 03/30/08 01:43 PM

What does it say in the system profile, under Disc Burning -> Reads DVD?

It should say "Yes".

Re: Clamshell iBook combo drive - 03/31/08 01:25 PM

When I put a DVD in the system, it comes up on the desktop with the DVD icon, the title of the DVD and all of it's folders, just like I'd find on any other laptop with a working movie player. It was able to install 10.3 from DVD. And, yes, it does say it's an "Apple Supported/Shipped CD-RW/DVD-ROM." The only thing I can't seem to do is actually watch a movie... confused

Re: Clamshell iBook combo drive - 04/04/08 12:26 AM

Update: InterActual DVD player yields same error code as Apple DVD player. -70013. I've posted at the Apple Discussions, we'll see if anyone over there has any ideas...
Posted by: johnodd4

Re: Clamshell iBook combo drive - 08/29/08 12:19 AM

Easy fix:

Go and download patch burn.

Patchburn was created originally for external drives but users found out that it will install any drive on any powerpc mac from 10.1-10.5 leopard including cd drives and dvd drives i ran into the same issue with my g3 tower i had to replace the dvd drive and nothing would play untill i installed patchburn.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Clamshell iBook combo drive - 08/29/08 01:18 AM

Patchburn only provides burn support, not read support. If it loaded Panther from DVD then its probably reading OK.

Have you checked the logs in Console? I'd look at the log for DVD Player and then the VLC crash log if there is one.

Don't suppose you have an external drive or another Mac you could boot from?
It sounds like a software issue.
Posted by: johnodd4

Re: Clamshell iBook combo drive - 08/30/08 02:33 AM

patchburn doesn't just work for burning.

Patchburn modifies the apple cd driver for the cd dvd drive so that the drive not only burns but functions as well.

It's original intentions where to help with burning cd's in itunes but a bunch of hackers found it also installs drives other then just dvd burners and cd burners it will install regular dvd drives and even cd drives by just changing the plist file and removing the drive burner checksum.