Bluetooth Dongle in iBook

Posted by: TonimusMaximus

Bluetooth Dongle in iBook - 03/25/08 02:21 PM

I've seen several mods where people add a bluetooth dongle internally via the USB port. Has any one tried using the bluetooth connector on the board?
Posted by: flippy10

Re: Bluetooth Dongle in iBook - 03/25/08 02:41 PM

There's an upgrade kit for it that takes advantage of that port, I'm fairly positive. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find a matching connector and mod one for it.

Re: Bluetooth Dongle in iBook - 03/26/08 10:06 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Bluetooth-Upgrad...1QQcmdZViewItem

That is made for the iBook 14' but the 12' logic board is essentially exactly the same minus clock speed and battery (I learned that the hard way...) I could imagine unless the port is hardware disabled, it'd be as simple as plugging the module into it, and finding a place to stuff it. (Converting the HD to SSD CF would be an awesome way to free up some space.)

It's scary that some wires and an antenna could cost 65 bucks. Can you say rip off?

Re: Bluetooth Dongle in iBook - 03/26/08 05:09 PM

I know. It's ridiculous. I'm planning to use the port for the Apple bluetooth board to make a dongle internal so that I can still use the USB ports and I won't have to solder anything. I just looked in my clamshell iBook spare parts hoping to find the right connector, but no luck. I'm sure I can fabricate something. Figuring out which pins are which though, may be tricky. I know the coloring for the internal plug, but I don't know if it coincides with USB coloring. The port goes Black-Green-Yellow-Red. I assume red is +5v, but won't know until I get mine apart, black is ground, but I do not know about the data lines...

Re: Bluetooth Dongle in iBook - 03/26/08 05:52 PM

Well, I looked on my favorite friend, Pinouts.ru for the port itself. Green/Yellow make sense for TX and RX on the USB... And if you reverse the order, I don't think there will be damage to the module, it just won't function until you reverse it. Reversing the 5+ and Ground might do some damage though.

http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml
From that we can assume that Yellow, is actually white. (Which makes some amount of sense. And unless Apple was being really mean to modders, it should work.)
Also, that should help you figure out which wires go where on the dongle. If you still have trouble -- plug a USB cord into it and strip off the end. Connect the wires to the cable connected to the port... And see if it works.

Re: Bluetooth Dongle in iBook - 03/26/08 06:01 PM

Yeah. I looked at pinouts.ru as well. I came to the same conclusion. I've ordered a bluetooth dongle on eBay for $5, so when it gets here, we'll see what happens. I'm still not sure how I'm going to fabricate a plug for it. Maybe some insulated sockets of some sort. Radio Shack, here I come.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Bluetooth Dongle in iBook - 03/27/08 03:28 PM

You can check for the power pins with a multimeter easily enough. You are correct that getting the data lines the wrong way around will do no harm, but I would check the others if you can.
Don't assume anything about Apple's USB colour codings, I rewired one of their cables once, it had the conventional colours but they were not in the conventional order.

If all four wires are connected in a line, the power cables are typically on the ends, presumably to avoid shorting them by accident. Again, don't assume anything - you don't want to fry the on board USB controller. I have seen plenty of blown firewire controllers on plenty of Macs, USB seems harder to kill. Having said that, if you blow the USB you may be able to live without that extra port, but you may knock out the trackpad and internal keyboard too.

Re: Bluetooth Dongle in iBook - 03/27/08 05:49 PM

Yeah, I second that very much.
Don't EVER assume anything when it comes to wiring configurations, I did that with my iBook 12 to 14 inch mod. The battery connector is moved, and I assumed that the wiring order (and battery voltage) would be the same. Poof, there goes my logic board. frown

Best thing you could do is probe a USB Port and see what the active voltages are on the data lines. That way you can double check them on the iBook connector. And through process of elimination, figure out if it's okay. Obviously 5+ and G would be a 5V reading, I believe the data lines were 3v last time I checked, but certainly don't quote me.

Re: Bluetooth Dongle in iBook - 03/28/08 01:04 AM

I always have my multimeter within arms reach when I'm in my computer. I'm also ordering a new HD to toss in it when I drop the dongle in place. I think I may have worked some sort of cannibalizing thing out for the plug, but again, I won't know until I tear into it. And I hate taking my iBook apart so much, I'm not going to until I have all my stuff ready.

Re: Bluetooth Dongle in iBook - 04/10/08 02:34 PM

UPDATE:
I finally received my bluetooth dongle $4.68 shipped from eBay. (Sometimes eBay is great, sometimes it sucks...) And I just ordered a 160GB Seagate Momentus 5400.3 for $64 shipped. Gotta love the internet!

Re: Bluetooth Dongle in iBook - 04/16/08 12:14 PM

UPDATE: My new HDD showed up in the mail yesterday! I got it installed and then went to work on the dongle. Grabbed my multimeter to verify which lead was positive and negative on the board. As we suspected, the pin pattern on the board matched conventional order. However, the bluetooth port on the board only puts out 3.3 volts... Odd. Well, I hooked it up anyway, *HOPING* that there would be enough juice there to run a tiny bluetooth dongle.

I booted the machine up off of my 10.5 cd, ran System Profiler, and no bluetooth. There is just not enough juice coming off of that port to power anything except Apple's board. So, sometime later when I get back into my machine, I'll probably yank out my 56k modem and put the dongle there, wired into a USB port. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. The port on the MoBo is NOT a usb compatible port...
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Bluetooth Dongle in iBook - 04/16/08 02:23 PM

Thats a real pity.....

Re: Bluetooth Dongle in iBook - 04/16/08 02:36 PM

Question, if we just used the data lines for the Apple port while using 5V from somewhere else?
Possibly a regulated with a resistor from the FW port so it won't kill the external devices?

Re: Bluetooth Dongle in iBook - 04/17/08 02:25 AM

I would suspect that you would need to draw power off of that port for the port to accept data signal. Even externally powered USB devices draw a small amount of power off of the ports.