second hdd in ibook

Posted by: qwertyuiop

second hdd in ibook - 03/06/08 03:47 PM

I am going to make another attempt to compete in the great mod challenge (last year I dropped a soldering iron on the logic board) I was wondering if it was possible to attach a hard drive to the disk drive port (sorry, I don't know the technical terms) I have a seagate momentus 60GB that I want to install, the primary Drive is going to be a 4Gb SSD just for the OS, then 60GB secondary drive for programs. I wouldn't mind the absence of the CD drive, I never even use the one in my primary laptop, and I wouldn't mind a secondary notebook without one, is it possible? Thanks for your help.
Posted by: 987687

Re: second hdd in ibook - 03/06/08 04:53 PM

I believe there are adapters that would let you do that. I think I have seen them somewhere.
Oooo, the macmod challenge, I think I have something that I am going to enter this year.
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: second hdd in ibook - 03/06/08 06:01 PM

Thing is you will have a choice, go dual hard drives and lose the CD-ROM or just stick with single. The only way I can think of is to tap into the firewire and run a drive from the firewire but find a way to have it installed inside the iBook. Fitting a second hard drive into the iBook will be tricky.

Re: second hdd in ibook - 03/06/08 06:11 PM

what's the name of the cd-rom drive connector on an iBook? I'm going to take the CD-Rom drive out anyway, my aim is to make a semi-rugged iBook, that's why a i'm going to put a SSD in it. I plan to reinforce the iBook with steel and carbon-fiber rods, and use silicon caulk to keep the Logic board from moving inside the case.
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re: second hdd in ibook - 03/07/08 08:59 AM

then rhino line the outside :P

been wanting to see someone do that...

Re: second hdd in ibook - 03/07/08 01:33 PM

dude.... thats a good idea..... I should try that

Re: second hdd in ibook - 03/08/08 05:08 PM

http://www.idotpc.com/thestore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=285

would this work?
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: second hdd in ibook - 03/09/08 08:52 AM

It will work for data, you might have to do something about power though. That one looks like its meant to attach a notebook optical drive to a desktop IDE cable. It has extra connectors for the power since desktop drives don't take power over the bus. While the data will certainly work using it the other way around, you will need another adaptor from desktop to notebook IDE and you'll need to route the power from one of those extra connectors to the appropriate pins on the notebook IDE connector.

Looks like it would fit nicely though. As long as the optical connector is the right way up.

Re: second hdd in ibook - 03/09/08 11:19 AM

http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/

how about this?
Posted by: soundmann18

Re: second hdd in ibook - 03/09/08 01:14 PM

so I think that the iBooks have the hdd and the optical drives in the same bus, while in powerbooks they are seperate. So I'm not sure if running a 2nd drive in an iBook works, if it did I'm sure it would need to be 'slave.' But thats a pretty sweet product there - I may try to use it in an eventual Mod, probably not this year as I'll start work mid July, so I won't have any money in time. Maybe you could call them to see if it would work in an iBook.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: second hdd in ibook - 03/09/08 02:08 PM

I see no reason that wouldn't work in an iBook. Some iBooks have the main HD as slave (most of the G3s), I think the G4 had the optical as slave but you can very easily jumper the drive to slave.
Posted by: ipodphoto

Re: second hdd in ibook - 04/10/08 10:18 AM

Hey really cool idea you have got here.
It sounds a bit like your making an ibookair lol. Just wondering you said in your first post that you'd have a 4gig ssd just for the OS, however given that prices are falling all the time, would you not be better with 8gig or even 16gig? Would the os run better if it had a bit more space?

Have you started on this project, been a while since there was a post here and wondered how your getting on.
Posted by: tayedrumma

Re: second hdd in ibook - 07/03/08 05:43 AM

Wow, exactly what i was looking for, i'm not the only one wanting to replace the optical drive with a hard drive. Keep me posted on any news
Posted by: mordaskyt

Re: second hdd in ibook - 07/03/08 06:49 AM

The iBook G3 has both drives on the same bus, connected by a single cable. The G4 version has two separate bus connections, an ATA 100 or 133, can't remember for the hard disk and an ATA 33 for the optical. I would order the kit from MCE myself as it will save tones of hasell and comes with that slick little external optical enclosure as well. For the record the optical connector is called a JAE 50 pin IDE.

Re: second hdd in ibook - 07/07/08 06:12 AM

That helps me a lot, the kit from MCE was created for the MacBook, MacBook Pro, and the Powerbook G4. So, unfortunately, that would not work for us... And besides, who wants to save us the hassel, that's part of the fun... Start a project thinking you'll have it done in an hour, next thing you know it's Monday morning and you have to go to work.... Isn't that what modding is all about haha
Posted by: Alex Dawson

Re: second hdd in ibook - 07/10/08 07:37 AM

The only reason I can think of that would stop it working would be that iBook optical drives are sometimes master, sometimes slave, and it varies based on model, so there would need to be a few different versions.

It's sad that MCE take something that costs $10 (a IDE to slim-cd-IDE) and reverse it and charge $90 for it frown

Re: second hdd in ibook - 07/10/08 11:37 AM

so are you saying that all you need is that IDE to slim-cd-IDE to make the connection of a second hard drive... well in that case i'll track one of them down

Re: second hdd in ibook - 07/10/08 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: "tayedrumma"
so are you saying that all you need is that IDE to slim-cd-IDE to make the connection of a second hard drive... well in that case i'll track one of them down

No, you need the reverse of it, which only MCE make, and they sell for $99

Re: second hdd in ibook - 07/11/08 05:23 AM

i find it hard to believe that theyre the only ones that make it.

Re: second hdd in ibook - 07/11/08 08:20 AM

Do tell me if you find someone else.. I'm in the market for one, but don't need the drive bay and don't want to pay $90 for it. I've spent about an hour looking for one.

The connector on the optical drive appears to be a JAE KX14-50K2DE .. so basically you need a cable/board to go from JAE KX14-50K2DE to 2mm pitch 50 way pin header (or alternatively, a 44 pin 2.5mm pitch header for full sized IDE)

Re: second hdd in ibook - 07/11/08 10:34 AM

i sent an email to MCE to see if they offer just the connector cheaper... We'll see if they reply. This may determine their hand in the 1TB upgrade of my 17" MBP i'm gonna pick up in a month or so

Re: second hdd in ibook - 07/11/08 03:06 PM

i found this, looks promising....

http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/ItemDetail.asp?itemid=TS16GSSD10-M

Re: second hdd in ibook - 07/11/08 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: "tayedrumma"

"16GB IDE SSD 1.0 Solid State Disk" .. I fail to see how that helps even slightly. It's the wrong physical interface, too small and also $90 :P

Re: second hdd in ibook - 07/12/08 09:12 AM

haha well i just mean for my whole project, i posted in the wrong forum... sorry
Posted by: wei803

Re: second hdd in ibook - 07/12/08 09:56 PM

There're way cheaper option than MCE Optibay. I just bought one recently for $8.99 from ebay. Without HDD ofcourse.

Re: second hdd in ibook - 07/12/08 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: "wei803"
There're way cheaper option than MCE Optibay. I just bought one recently for $8.99 from ebay. Without HDD ofcourse.

Can you post a link to one? All I can see are ones to plug slim ATAPI optical drives into standard/laptop IDE connectors, not the other way around.

Re: second hdd in ibook - 07/13/08 08:25 AM

yes. Please post the link

Re: second hdd in ibook - 07/13/08 08:43 AM

Bad luck guys. The seller was no longer in ebay. Not sure what's wrong. Anyway here's a screen grab:

here's the original link to the item.

And here's the seller page.

I will post a photo of the item later.

Re: second hdd in ibook - 07/13/08 09:12 AM

It this the item http://www.tiger111hk.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_61&products_id=694? If so, it doesn't look like it would work with a MacBook ODD cable, since it seems to have a non-standard connector on the back. But the picture may not match the item, and if it does have a standard ODD connector on the back (JAE KX14), it is pretty much what we're afte..

Re: second hdd in ibook - 07/13/08 06:32 PM

To be honest the item still in wrapper, yet to test it. But it does looks identical to the link you have there. My MacBook currently "occupied" and have no intention to install 2nd HDD at the moment. The connector seems to look exactly like my old iBook CD-ROM drive. Have yet to study what's different from MacBook strange 9.5mm optical drive.

Re: second hdd in ibook - 07/13/08 07:07 PM

Do you think you'd be able to unwrap it and take a photo of the connector on the back? :-)

Re: second hdd in ibook - 07/13/08 08:33 PM

Haha, that's what I'm planning to do. Let me settle my jobs first and I'll post the photo later.

Re: second hdd in ibook - 07/13/08 08:43 PM

Alex, maybe you can snap a picture of your MacBook optical drive's connector as well. As I remember, all slimline optical uses standard connector. Apple might have uses a different one, but that's just a converter adapter attached. According to my research those OEM drive Apple uses also appear on other brand of laptop. And other model of mac.

Re: second hdd in ibook - 07/13/08 11:44 PM

As you probably know, the optical drive connects to the logic board by a flexible flat conductor (FFC) cable called the ODD cable.

On one end of the cable is the standard JAE KX14, to plug into the drive, which should have a KX15 connector, and the other end of the cable is a different connector to connect the ODD cable to the logic board.

This is a picture of the connector that the drive module you've purchased will have to mate to - http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBook-Optical-Drive-Cable/IF186-022

Re: second hdd in ibook - 07/14/08 04:42 AM

Here's the photos:

Top are the converter to ibook logic. Middle are the "supposed" opical bay to HDD converter. Bottom are the iBook optical drive. As you can see, I've bought something I can't make use of... lol. Sorry for the wrong info earlier. I wonder if there some sort of converter adapter...

Re: second hdd in ibook - 07/14/08 11:04 AM

man, that's too bad, i was getting excited.... too bad