airport mod

Posted by: qwertyuiop

airport mod - 09/23/07 06:16 PM

I bought a clamshell after much thought, I and other people online thought a clamshell would be sufficant for my basic mac needs...  I picked up a blueberry for 75 bucks; dead battery, 96mb, 3gb... when it arrived I was suprised that it had airport, it was a mistake by the seller...  I ordered a lucent wavelan on the same day, I've put them in clamshells before, and I was wondering will the internal antenna work when I have the ibooks antenna plugged into it, it's pretty easy and a little more range cant hurt wink.  thanks for ur help
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re: airport mod - 09/23/07 10:04 PM

I think the ibook antenna will have a different connector.  You may have to strip it and put on a new connector.

I love this site...

http://www.sharperconcepts.net/
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re: airport mod - 09/23/07 10:04 PM

also, what about drivers for that?
Posted by: 987687

Re: airport mod - 09/24/07 06:54 AM

I have a lucent Orinoco card in my clamshell and the antenna fit, and it just worked. Uses the apple drivers in both os9 and osx. All I had to do as remove the modem and some of the heat-sink so the antenna would fit.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: airport mod - 09/24/07 12:41 PM

Yeah, the old orinoco cards were broadcom and are recognised as airport or airport extreme cards. Not sure thats true of the newer ones. I know for a fact that Belkin cards change chipset without even changing model number.
Posted by: qwertyuiop

Re: airport mod - 09/24/07 01:09 PM

the lucent wavelan cards are the same thing as airports....  they just have internal antennas, they do have the same jack... I've done it before, I just don't know it it will improve my wi-fi range
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: airport mod - 09/26/07 07:44 PM

Does this mean that a airport card can work on a PC based laptop?
Posted by: whitlock

Re: airport mod - 09/26/07 10:29 PM

Providing you have a 3rd-party driver able to run on that particular chipset, then yes. 

I wonder if the drivers included with Bootcamp would work?
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: airport mod - 09/27/07 01:44 AM

They might well do.
Posted by: Protocol6v

Re: airport mod - 09/28/07 07:05 PM

The drivers in Boot Camp are for the newer AirPort Extreme cards that are in all the Intel macs. The new cards are completely different than the old cards.