adding 802.11n card to laptop.. what is best router?

Posted by: trend

adding 802.11n card to laptop.. what is best router? - 05/22/07 08:10 PM

Hey, I am going to add an 802.11n wireless card to my macbook I just got.
A) Can I use any mini PCI express card for 802.11? and what is the best?
B) What wireless router works best? I have read that some wireless routers and 802.11n client cards don't work well together.. and don't give any boost over 802.11.

What you'll think?

Re: adding 802.11n card to laptop.. what is best router? - 05/22/07 08:12 PM

I was hoping not to spend the $150+ on apple's wireless router.. but if I have to that is fine I guess...
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: adding 802.11n card to laptop.. what is best router? - 05/23/07 12:00 AM

I know the card from the Mac Pro fits in the core duo MacBook. The one I tried wasn't any faster than G using a Netgear MIMO router.

Re: adding 802.11n card to laptop.. what is best router? - 05/26/07 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By: "Waragainstsleep "

I know the card from the Mac Pro fits in the core duo MacBook. The one I tried wasn't any faster than G using a Netgear MIMO router.

Man, that is no good! I just bought an 802.11n mini pci-e card for my macbook.. well hopefully, another wireless router can do the trick.. any ideas?

Re: adding 802.11n card to laptop.. what is best router? - 05/27/07 06:27 AM

It actually seems to me that the range is the biggest difference between g and n. Neither g nor n seem to come close to 54Mbps in the real world though. Might do some more testing when I get a chance.
Posted by: zenstate

Re: adding 802.11n card to laptop.. what is best router? - 05/27/07 07:35 AM

as far as pci interface cards go just google for whats out there mac-wise. 

as for a router..  linksys is by far the best in my opinion.  for the same price as the airport base station you could get a linksys router with easily 4-5x the features and capability.  great embedded linux implementation also.

Re: adding 802.11n card to laptop.. what is best router? - 05/27/07 02:09 PM

I'd bet the Airport extreme is most likely to get best speeds with Macs. Plus the Airdisk feature will com in well handy with Leopard.
Posted by: Protocol6v

Re: adding 802.11n card to laptop.. what is best router? - 05/27/07 03:45 PM

Dlink all the way. I have never had a Linksys product that has worked for over 6 months. Not to mention Linksys does work well with Safari and stuff like that. Netgear is another one that doesn't like to work for long. The Dlink seems to be holding strong... Knock on wood...