Powerbook g4 1ghz 15inch backlight for display going.

Posted by: wisdom_105

Powerbook g4 1ghz 15inch backlight for display going. - 05/07/07 05:50 AM

hi i am looking in to replacing a backlight in my display for my powerbook?

anyone no the parts or where i can get them ?

and maybe a guide or any help is appreciated  smile

thanks

rob
Posted by: reLAXER564

Re: Powerbook g4 1ghz 15inch backlight for display going. - 05/07/07 08:03 AM

try ebay first
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Powerbook g4 1ghz 15inch backlight for display going. - 05/07/07 08:09 AM

Replacing backlights is as fiddly as it gets when you are swapping parts in a laptop. Getting the old light out without mangling the display entirely is no mean feat. You tend to expose the guts of the display to the atmosphere, and I can't imagine that does it much good.
Your best bet is to find the same panel which has been cracked and remove the backlight from that one. This way, you get a practice run on a display which is already FUBAR.
Don't go near any panels if you suspect the backlight too may be cracked, and don't crack one yourself since they contain mercury, and if you call environmental services, and they find the mercury levels in the room are too high, you will be sealing that room off with plastic until you have saved up the $2000 that it will cost to have the room decontaminated by professionals. This happened to someone the other day (reported on slashdot) when they broke a CCFL energy saver light bulb. Then there is the potential risk to your health. Mercury is not good for you. Just look at the mad hatter from Alice in Wonderland (hatmakers used to use mercury).
Posted by: mordaskyt

Re: Powerbook g4 1ghz 15inch backlight for display going. - 05/07/07 09:53 AM

are you sure its the backlight itself? It is far more likely to be the cable or the inverter.

Re: Powerbook g4 1ghz 15inch backlight for display going. - 05/07/07 12:42 PM

Very good point. Spot on.

Re: Powerbook g4 1ghz 15inch backlight for display going. - 05/08/07 07:42 AM

smile Thanks for your replies , is there away i can tell if its the cable or the backlight?

if it is the cable , can i replace it?

thanks

rob
Posted by: mordaskyt

Re: Powerbook g4 1ghz 15inch backlight for display going. - 05/08/07 09:01 AM

Well if the display blinks on and off when you move the lid back and forth, lighting up if you hold it "just right" its prob the cable. check it for visable signs of damage, particularly where it runs through the hinge assembly. Asuuming the screen does not light at all hold a lamp or flashlight to the screen, can you see a dim image? if so the LCD is fine its just not lighting up. You may find you need to purchase a replacement inverter to try before you can narrow down the problem further. Cheaper and easier than messing with the backlight and you can always return or re sell it if the inverter turns out not to be the problem.

Re: Powerbook g4 1ghz 15inch backlight for display going. - 05/16/07 03:28 PM

welll its seems that when i turn the brightest down and then up it comes back on for a second then goes back off ?

any one have any idea what could be the problem?

Thanks

rob

Re: Powerbook g4 1ghz 15inch backlight for display going. - 05/20/07 04:42 PM

hey i thinki come to the conclsuion that it is the inverter ? but what is the inverter is the inverter board or cable? how can i tell what is bad?

thanks

rob

Re: Powerbook g4 1ghz 15inch backlight for display going. - 05/21/07 12:03 AM

Like Mord said, if you can get it to come back on by moving the screen, it would indicate the cable. Changing the brightness would suggest to me the inverter itself.

Re: Powerbook g4 1ghz 15inch backlight for display going. - 05/22/07 02:36 PM

right thanks for all your help i found the cable on ebay but i was wondering is there a guide i should follow in replacing it or is it easy?

i am gratefull for everyones help cheers  smile

thanks

rob

Re: Powerbook g4 1ghz 15inch backlight for display going. - 05/23/07 12:02 AM

Try ifixit.com. The should have a guide.