Portable secondary display from PowerBook LCD

Posted by: schismet

Portable secondary display from PowerBook LCD - 04/12/07 04:35 PM

I have a case similar to this one; http://www.drbott.com/prod/db.lasso?code=5183-FC17, it is the best case I have ever had. I am able to work with the least amount of prep, just open the lid and I'm ready. As I sit here looking at that open lid, which comes off by simply sliding it over and could stand up on its own. It occurs to me that I could recess another PB LCD assembly into it and double my desktop real estate. It could also be used as a mirrored display for on-the-go presentations. I guess this would be a PowerBook case case mod! After some research for the parts, I have a couple of issues that are unanswered.

1. Does the PB LCD assembly contain everything needed to be an external display?

2. Can it be powered by another laptop battery? I would hate to run everything off of one. Full charge would probably only last 40 mins.

I appreciate any help you can give. Thanks
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Portable secondary display from PowerBook LCD - 04/13/07 01:25 AM

1. No. For all intents and purposes, all laptop panels should be considered as having proprietary video connections. You want one from a standalone unit. That way you can just plug it in to AC too.

Re: Portable secondary display from PowerBook LCD - 04/13/07 02:29 PM

Proprietary yes, but I am still curious about connecting to the mini-DVI port on my 17". In my logic it would seem that there are two video busses, so it is just cabling and connections. I would just need to match the socket connector for the panel and a mini-DVI pig tail.
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: Portable secondary display from PowerBook LCD - 04/17/07 06:32 AM

It would share off of the video bus. so it will only get half speed unless there is a way to disable the output on the main LCD. If you just disconnect the main LCD the system will still pump data and stuff to the connection, it will be like just turning off the monitor and the system will still be running. Now if it has a option to switch monitors like the main LCD to a external monitor then it will work fine.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Portable secondary display from PowerBook LCD - 04/17/07 12:21 PM

Originally Posted By: "schismet "

Proprietary yes, but I am still curious about connecting to the mini-DVI port on my 17". In my logic it would seem that there are two video busses, so it is just cabling and connections. I would just need to match the socket connector for the panel and a mini-DVI pig tail.

I used to think that too, but it seems that in order to convert an LCD to accept a standard input like DVI or VGA you need a controller board. This is the bit which is unique to each panel. Laptops bypass this by simply having the correct output direct from the GPU. If you could bypass the DVI somehow, you'd be laughing, but thats another fairly monumental task.

If you did get it working, speed might not be such an issue, depending on which PB you have. The later ones were happy running 30" ACDs, so I don't imagine a second 17" would really stretch it much.

Re: Portable secondary display from PowerBook LCD - 04/17/07 01:04 PM

Thanks for the input, glad I didn't buy an assembly first. I had a guess that was the way the bus worked. Now to figure out which LCD to buy and cannibalize.

Or maybe just wait for those nice small DLP projectors that will be here any day now and shoehorn that into the case.