iMac speaker box

Posted by: Bobdude161

iMac speaker box - 01/31/07 08:12 AM

I have bunch of broken iMacs that I got from a school auction and I parted them out for moolah.  But I decided to keep the round ball-like speakers for whatever reason.  Well today I got a great idea.  How about I put all 12 speakers together and make a huge speaker?  I hooked up one and it could handle my stereo system pretty well and the sound was great.  Imagine 12x that. 
Posted by: Kisin

Re: iMac speaker box - 01/31/07 09:24 AM

just remember to put the correct amplifier in the enclosure, and build that enclosure with the right materials, and with the right divisions; I bet google has about a zillion sites with "how-to's" for speakers.  Good luck, and keep us posted!
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: iMac speaker box - 01/31/07 11:07 AM

Just FYI, those old iMac speakers are made by Harman Kardon. Thats why they sound as good as they do.
A colleague inteded to try and rig a surround system using a pile of them. I don't think he ever got very far.
Posted by: Kisin

Re: iMac speaker box - 01/31/07 11:18 AM

wish Harman Kardon made the speakers in the ibook line... the present speaker are not nearly loud enough and they sound like crap!  PeeCee's got Mac beat in that department...
Posted by: manhackman

Re: iMac speaker box - 01/31/07 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: "mxlews "

Personally I don't think it's worth the work.  Those little speakers are meant as computer speakers, and aren't going to sound good at all for music.  Quality not quantity.  wink

Who knows, with a good amp?
I think I'm going to put my subwoofer in an imac case just for kicks!

Re: iMac speaker box - 02/01/07 02:08 AM

Apple don't really want you using built in speakers on their kit anymore. They want you using airport express and iPods. The G5 PowerMacs have the worst speakers.
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: iMac speaker box - 02/01/07 04:32 AM

The best built in speaker I have came across was from a PPC 6500. A friend of mine had one and we would play primetarget or warcraft 2. It was loud as heck.

Re: iMac speaker box - 02/01/07 11:05 AM

I was always quite fond of the boot chime I from my MDD. It sounded big, booming and impressive. Thats why I don't like the G5s. Small, tinny and laughable in comparison. I can see why they did it (if you are a Pro user and you want any kind of sound from one, chances are you will get external speakers anyway), but imagine you spend a couple of grand on your huge shiny beast, set it up, press the power button and it sounds like more like a Gameboy than a PowerMac.

Re: iMac speaker box - 02/03/07 06:19 AM

Yes yes, my sawtooths sounds like crap with the little speakers. I've been thinking to find some diffrent internal speakers for it. I want to get two of the MDD or PPC6500 speakers for my sawtooths.
Posted by: JediJoker7169

Re: iMac speaker box - 02/03/07 01:44 PM

My old PowerBook G4 12" actually has better speakers (to my ears) with more bass than my MacBook Pro 15.4".  What gives?  That, in my opinion, is one of Apple's greatest failings.  Built-in speaker quality should be near the top of the list pf priorities during the design process for a company so focused on aubible media.

For the record, I hated the iMac Rev. B speakers.

Re: iMac speaker box - 02/05/07 06:59 PM

The built in speakers in my late iBook were crap. They sounded nice but were not loud at all.
Posted by: macDeviant

Re: iMac speaker box - 02/06/07 08:08 AM

When i first cracked open the case to my 15" Albook to install a bigger HDD, i was suprised to find a little subwoofer in there. It took me a moment to figure out what it was. It was worth the laugh when it finally dawned on me...... DERRRRRRR
Posted by: JediJoker7169

Re: iMac speaker box - 02/06/07 10:54 AM

Originally Posted By: "macDeviant "

When i first cracked open the case to my 15" Albook to install a bigger HDD, i was suprised to find a little subwoofer in there. It took me a moment to figure out what it was. It was worth the laugh when it finally dawned on me...... DERRRRRRR

As it turns out, so does the 12" from 1.33 GHz on... (iFixIt link)