Need A Tiny USB 2.0 Hub

Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Need A Tiny USB 2.0 Hub - 01/18/07 11:54 AM

I want the smallest USB 2.0 hub I can get hold of. It needs to be able to fit in a PowerBook case, at least once the casing and ports are removed.
My 15" 1.33 PowerBook G4 has its bluetooth module right at the front, just to the left of the trackpad. If I can find a hub small enough, I can fit something else in line with the bluetooth board. Either an iSight Camera or an IR receiver. Or both.

Looking at the device tree, I think the bluetooth is hooked to a USB 1.1 bus. Won't be much use for an iSight though.
Posted by: Antonio

Re: Need A Tiny USB 2.0 Hub - 01/18/07 12:31 PM

The smallest I've seen measures around three inches long by like and inch and a quarter wide, by about half an inch thick. I don't know what the size is without the cover.
-Probably best to check eBay, as they always have obscure PC off-brands. That's how I found my CompUSA Bluetooth module (which already had the latest Mac firmware installed), for like $12.
Not too shabby.

Re: Need A Tiny USB 2.0 Hub - 01/18/07 12:36 PM

I just found this one. I wonder if I can fit it in somewhere.

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/4118/5142/lindy-usb-20-hub.phtml
Posted by: Antonio

Re: Need A Tiny USB 2.0 Hub - 01/18/07 01:34 PM

Well, it has four ports, so, looking at the design, it must have two on tow sides, likely front and back, so, you'd have to move two of the ports... or, better yet, use some short usb extension cables smile
That would do it. In fact, with some extension cables, you could probably place the device inside your 'Book wherever it will fit, with your only modification being the removal of the device's casing and then securing it inside your 'Book.
Posted by: krusher117

Re: Need A Tiny USB 2.0 Hub - 01/18/07 02:45 PM

isight uses firewire.  I assume you mean you would use a usb cam and the software to make it ichat compatible.  If that's the case you might scour ebay for a sony laptop with cam that is being sold for parts. I assume they are using a usb connection off those and the good thing about them is that they are slim enough to be integrated into a laptop.  come to think of it, thats a good mod for me to do to my powerbook!  I hate toting my isight around with me
Posted by: Protocol6v

Re: Need A Tiny USB 2.0 Hub - 01/18/07 06:02 PM

Or he could get the iSight out of a MacBook display or something.

Re: Need A Tiny USB 2.0 Hub - 01/19/07 01:51 AM

I already have two MacBook cameras. Damn things are so small, I'm not sure I can still find them. Got one from an iMac too. But that won't fit in a PowerBook.