Powermac G 350mhz to DP 500 mhz

Posted by: profclimber

Powermac G 350mhz to DP 500 mhz - 01/17/07 04:29 AM

Hi there, is it possible to put a 500 mhz dp daughtercard in a Powermac g4 350 mhz?

greetz maarten
Posted by: maestro

Re: Powermac G 350mhz to DP 500 mhz - 01/17/07 05:59 AM

Doubtful.  The 350 (if it is agp version and not zif)  version was the earliest and will most likely not work with a dual processor card.  If it is a zif version, there is a now rare dual processor carrier that could run two zif cards at once.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Powermac G 350mhz to DP 500 mhz - 01/17/07 01:36 PM

A dual ZIF carrier? Oooooh. I want one. Tell me more.

Re: Powermac G 350mhz to DP 500 mhz - 01/17/07 01:38 PM

Is it the XLR8 one? Maybe I don't want one.

http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/FAQ/index.cfm?answer=788
Posted by: mordaskyt

Re: Powermac G 350mhz to DP 500 mhz - 01/17/07 02:54 PM

xlr8 did ship a dual zif carrier card, it only used a select series of processors, and is rather hard to find. Not sure how its performance was overall but it does exist.

http://www.everymac.com/upgrade_cards/xlr8/mach_velocity_g4/mach_velocity_g4_mpe_400_2.html
Posted by: profclimber

Re: Powermac G 350mhz to DP 500 mhz - 01/18/07 12:01 AM

wel it is a 350 mhz AGP version, so is this possible? I heart somewhere  ;D that it is possible to put a DP in a Quicksilver single proccesor.

Re: Powermac G 350mhz to DP 500 mhz - 01/18/07 01:12 AM

Yes but the quicksilver is a later model than the DA your dual 500 probably came from. The AGP is pre any dual proc Mac, though the connectors are the same. I guess you need to find someone who has tried it. Or just bite the bullet and try it yourself.
Posted by: zenstate

Re: Powermac G 350mhz to DP 500 mhz - 01/18/07 07:09 AM

Originally Posted By: "Waragainstsleep "

Is it the XLR8 one? Maybe I don't want one.

http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/FAQ/index.cfm?answer=788

thats a G3 zif..  he has a G4 zif..  different socket with the same name.

I know a guy in the UK that put a dual G4 450 zif from a powermac gigabit ethernet into a cube.  works perfectly and has for about 3 years now.

Re: Powermac G 350mhz to DP 500 mhz - 01/18/07 11:30 AM

Don't want to be pedantic, but the AGP and later G4s are not technically ZIFs. Zero Insertion Force is the name of the game, the AGP sockets require pressure to make them click into place. You can literally drop the ZIF cards into the slot. The force comes after insertion by way of a lever which holds them in place.
I have never heard the later G4s referred to as ZIFs. Typically they are called daughter cards. I think the distinctoin may be that daughtercards host the electronics which set bus and clock speeds, the ZIFS have a CPU, cache and very little else. Clocks are set by jumpers on the logic board.
The dual 500 mentioned above will be al but identical to the dual 450 card modified to fit the Cube. I incorrectly said the dual 500 was from a Digital Audio, its from the Gigabit Ethernet.
I enquired on cubeowner as to fitting a 733 G4 to my Cube, but was warned off in no uncertain terms. Lots of mutterings about blowing the VRM due to excess power consumption. Though I figure fitting a laptop drive in place of the standard HD would compensate a bit. And these things are designed to power 23" ADC displays too. I reckon it would be OK.
I think the rule of thumb with the AGP onward G4s, is that if you can get the CPU card to physically fit, it will work. Most of the different ones argue with heatsinks and case parts, so its not a common practise. Tycho is the best man to ask, but good luck getting a prompt answer unless you know him well, which I don't.
Posted by: Antonio

Re: Powermac G 350mhz to DP 500 mhz - 01/18/07 01:39 PM

The single 350 was AGP, or at least there was an AGP model, a Sawtooth, and much of the time, a dual card won't work in a Sawtooth because most didn't ship with the correct Uni-North revision (AKA Northbridge). versiontracker has a utility which will test the revision in your rig to tell you.
Otherwise, they use the same socket, which was a daughtercard socket.

As far as Cubes are concerned, heat dissipation is your primary issue. You can always add a cooling fan to the bottom of the rig, and I would also recommend adding a graphics card with its own dedicated fan. They can also use dualies, as they have the correct Uni-North revision (the same as the Gigabits AKA Mystics, iirc).
As for Tycho... I see him on iChat quite a bit, tho it's been a while since I actually chatted with him... maybe it's time to say hi  :compute:
Posted by: godicm

Re: Powermac G 350mhz to DP 500 mhz - 01/18/07 10:53 PM

...there is a test somewhere to check if your sawtooth can handle dual processors. i think it is downloadable even at many websites selling CPU-upgrades.
in fact, the 350 AGP model might work well, cos it was actually the second generation sawtooth board. (apart from that pci/agp-business, the very first basic models were 400MHz, but got downclocked later, remember?)
try out sonnettech or OWC or the like for that little application...
Posted by: Antonio

Re: Powermac G 350mhz to DP 500 mhz - 01/18/07 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: "godicm "

...there is a test somewhere to check if your sawtooth can handle dual processors. i think it is downloadable even at many websites selling CPU-upgrades.
in fact, the 350 AGP model might work well, cos it was actually the second generation sawtooth board. (apart from that pci/agp-business, the very first basic models were 400MHz, but got downclocked later, remember?)
try out sonnettech or OWC or the like for that little application...

Actually, the 350 was a first generation Sawtooth, though there was also a 350 PCI (Yikes) machine.
Sawtooth rev2 was actually the Gigabit Ethernet (AKA Mystic), and did not offer a 350mhz configuration; single 400 was the baseline, and the other two offerings were dualies.
I realize some refer to it as a Sawtooth 2, but for sake of simplification and separation (there are many differences between the two, to include CPU and GPU upgrades) most sites with Mac listings will differentiate between the two as Sawtooth and Gigabit Ethernet, respectively.

Re: Powermac G 350mhz to DP 500 mhz - 01/19/07 01:49 AM

Check Mactracker. The  original Sawtooth lineup was a 450 and 500. Supply of G4s fomr Moto were short, so the speed was bumped down to 400 and 450, then they added a 350 to replace the PCI 350 which I guess was still available.
Posted by: RedDrag0n

Re: Powermac G 350mhz to DP 500 mhz - 01/19/07 04:51 AM

Originally Posted By: "Antonio "

Actually, the 350 was a first generation Sawtooth, though there was also a 350 PCI (Yikes) machine.
Sawtooth rev2 was actually the Gigabit Ethernet (AKA Mystic), and did not offer a 350mhz configuration; single 400 was the baseline, and the other two offerings were dualies.

Mine was a revision 2 Sawtooth and no it was not a Gigabit Ehernet. It still had only a 10/100 ethernet and the only enhancements it had over the original Sawtooth was a revised 237W power supply, and Uni-N 7 information on the board to handle dual processors.
Posted by: godicm

Re: Powermac G 350mhz to DP 500 mhz - 01/19/07 06:23 AM

ANYWAY.
use UniNorthASICChecker to find out if your specific model is capable for dual processors.