Macbook Core 2 Upgrade

Posted by: Zaphod

Macbook Core 2 Upgrade - 01/07/07 05:44 PM

I bought a Macbook 2 Ghz Core Duo about 6 months ago and in November they released the Core 2 Duo.  I want to upgrade to the Core 2 Duo but since the Processor is soldered to the logic board I am not 100% sure of all the details I need to know about how to do this.  I found this website and figured if anybody were able to help me it would probably be someone from here. Any help is apprieciated.
Posted by: maestro

Re: Macbook Core 2 Upgrade - 01/07/07 06:18 PM

Seriously difficult.  The process involved in attaching it is an oven which melts all of the solder at once.  To remove the solder, you will need a special iron and then it can still be tricky.  The laptop versions of the C2D are also very expensive.  There is a couple of companies that replace G4s with faster ones in the old models, I wonder if they could do a one-off for ya.  Sonnet and Daystar both do it, but you will probably have better luck with Daystar as they have a smaller operation.

My advice is still to sell you Book and buy a new one.  If you decide to go for the mod though, post your progress to let us know how it goes.