Thinking about getting a new macbook + upgrading HD to 7200rpm + upgrade ram.

Posted by: trend

Thinking about getting a new macbook + upgrading HD to 7200rpm + upgrade ram. - 10/07/06 07:41 PM

Hey, I am looking at getting a new macbook when the new ones come out (rev2). But want you'lls opinion.

I think my first 2 and probably only 2 mods are going to be:
1)Upgrade the ram to max it out 2gigs
2)Upgrade my hard drive to a 7200rpm 8mb cache HD.

Will my Hard drive upgrade make that much a difference from 5400rpm? Will I notice it?

Any other mods you'll suggest to get more performance?

thanks guys!

Re: Thinking about getting a new macbook + upgrading HD to 7200rpm + upgrade ram - 10/07/06 07:52 PM

Or should I go with the macbook pro to get the

1) better graphics card
2) larger screen/higher resolution
3) 667MHz frontside bus (or does the macbook really have that fsbus as well.. but just doesn't say it)
4) ddr2 (or does the macbook have that as well.. but just doesn't say it)

...hmm.. This is going to be a desktop replacement.. but my current desktop has 2 1280x1024 screens.. and I am thinking with F9, I can use just one 1280x800 screen..
Posted by: mordaskyt

Re: Thinking about getting a new macbook + upgrading HD to 7200rpm + upgrade ram. - 10/08/06 05:32 AM

If you can afford the pro model obviously go for it. The dedicated Graphics card on the pro is hands down in a league above the macbooks. The ram is the single smartest upgrade you can do in regards to performance. As for the hard drive keep in mind that both laptops us serial ata drives, and the 7200 rpm drives can be pretty pricey. look here for a review of some of the current offerings on the market. http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2006q1/mobile-hdds/index.x?pg=1
Posted by: macDeviant

Re: Thinking about getting a new macbook + upgrading HD to 7200rpm + upgrade ram. - 10/08/06 08:18 AM

I've also been looking at buying a macbook pro (still don't like the name though) and you have the option for eiher a 100 gig 7200 rpm HDD or a 120 gig 5400 rpm HDD. If it's a desktop replacement i'd probably go with the 7200 rpm hdd. Keep in mind though, it will use up more battery life when it leaves the plug behind.

macDeviant

Re: Thinking about getting a new macbook + upgrading HD to 7200rpm + upgrade ram. - 10/08/06 06:58 PM

Yeah.. I found the 7200rpm hds for laptop serial ata for around $110 on newegg for a seagate.. bit cheaper for other brands.

I think the extra money will be worth it.. but I really cannot justify a $600 price difference to get a larger screen and better graphics card.. I mean, it would be nice..
Posted by: zenstate

Re: Thinking about getting a new macbook + upgrading HD to 7200rpm + upgrade ram. - 10/09/06 12:18 PM

I upgraded my mac mini's internal hd to a 7200 rpm and it made a noticeable difference.

Re: Thinking about getting a new macbook + upgrading HD to 7200rpm + upgrade ram. - 10/09/06 05:42 PM

Cool.. So I will def do the ram and hd upgrade.. but what about:

A) macbook pro's faster bus speed (or are both the same?)
B) better graphics card (yes, I know it is much faster.. but I don't do any gaming.. but I heard the new OS X ver needs a lot of 3d acceleration )

Re: Thinking about getting a new macbook + upgrading HD to 7200rpm + upgrade ram. - 10/09/06 07:27 PM

Ok, to answer my own question

A)No both macbook and macbook pro have the same FsBUS

B) still don't know

C)(newly created) DVI output port on macbook is @ 1920x1200 pixels.. so This could tremendously help my large desktop needs.. Not sure if I should go large display and just use the one 1920x1200 display or should go dual monitors.. but will find that out once I get it smile