Build your own Pismo Battery!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: maestro

Build your own Pismo Battery!!!!!!!!!!! - 09/18/06 04:06 PM

Hopefully I have gotten members attention.  I have spoken to a couple members already about this.  My plan is to buy in bulk some replacement cells for Pismo batteries.  The more people on board, the cheaper they are.  No, there is nothing special about the cells, other than they are rechargeable.  I have found an online dealer to buy them from (and NO, they are NOT Sonys).  Any one that is interested in buying some, post here.  I will them get together with a couple of editors to work out the details.  Of course there will be a mod guide, cuz its really pretty easy and A LOT cheaper.

I will message anyone that posts and let them know the costs and details of the purchase order.

Re: Build your own Pismo Battery!!!!!!!!!!! - 09/18/06 04:36 PM

There are a couple of places online for instructions, but for some reason, they dont say how to get the case open.  So here ya go.  Press along the seem with a flat head screw driver straight into the seam, CAREFULLY.  You dont want to go through, just crack the epoxy seal (you will hear it crack).  Then VERY CAREFULLY pry the case open a little bit at a time.  Remember that stuff in the batteries can severely burn you.  I found out by trying, LOL, so here is a pic of the cells inside.  Sorry for the blurry photo.  The cells are Panasonic.
Posted by: anil8tor

Re: Build your own Pismo Battery!!!!!!!!!!! - 09/18/06 05:47 PM

Here is a little something,
I tried to rebuild my pack using "good cells" from bad packs a friend gave me... frown
No dice, you have to replace them all at the same time. So this is the only way to go...
If you want to see my hard work that was wasted go to: http://www.toolman.ackoo.com and look at the pics page.
Posted by: manhackman

Re: Build your own Pismo Battery!!!!!!!!!!! - 09/18/06 09:17 PM

nice space suit
Posted by: anil8tor

Re: Build your own Pismo Battery!!!!!!!!!!! - 09/19/06 03:11 AM

Thanks manhackman smile I put a lot of work in to that.  A passion of mine. ;D

Re: Build your own Pismo Battery!!!!!!!!!!! - 09/19/06 12:47 PM

Um, lotsa lookers and no takers?  Anil8tor and Shadow, maybe if you agree on the post, it would help others.  Anyway, if we can get only 10 people then the batteries are 38 bucks!  Saving a hundred sounds good to me.  Whataya say!?
Posted by: cyclops

Re: Build your own Pismo Battery!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/17/06 01:20 PM

I lucked onto a few rechargable L-ion battery packs for JVC video cameras by Energizer, for a buck each at Goodwill. Took each one apart and found 4 nice Panasonic lithium ion cells, each about the size of a AA and with tabs attached. The cells are a lower capacity than the OEM Apple cells - but the smaller size meant I didn't have to worry about cramming my new hand-wiring into the tight battery shell. I get about 3 hours on a full charge, not bad for a $3 investment in materials.

Re: Build your own Pismo Battery!!!!!!!!!!! - 10/20/06 09:21 AM

Hey cool.  Right now I am running two batteries in my Pismo.  A bit heavy to lug around but I am getting over 10 hours of work time.  Wowza!  Sickly awesome.  Now if someone would step up and make a higher rated G4 for it, I would keep this thing forever.  No need for a MacBook when I have some serious expandability in this thing.

>:D    a devil, just cuz it looks so damn cool.