ibook clamshell..

Posted by: clamshellman

ibook clamshell.. - 07/13/06 02:49 PM

Hi im new to these forums and Macs for that matter. I just bought a Ibook g3 Clamshell of ebay for $125, I wanted to try out a Mac computer so I bought a cheap one first..I would like to add as much ram as I possibly can..so what is the maximum for this machine? Also list any thing else I can do to this thing..I already know about overclocking the cpu which I really want to do.Also can someone tell me what kind of ram and hard drive(and size) it will take?
Thanks.
Posted by: spang

ibook clamshell.. - 07/13/06 03:34 PM

The maximum should be 544MB or 576MB. The 300Mhz ones have 544MB as max and the 366/466 ones have 576MB. Not much, just makes the minimum you should have for OSX. The ram slot is under the keyboard FYI. Oh, and it takes PC 100/133 SO-DIMMS.

ibook clamshell.. - 07/13/06 03:41 PM

Oh, and sorry to double post, but you should definitely read the FrankenBerry(sp?) mod guide in the Mod Guides section (Internal > iBook). It has a whole bunch of cool stuffs to do with your newly acquired iBook.

Ah, too bad I messed up mine, or I'd be using it right now laugh!

ibook clamshell.. - 07/13/06 03:46 PM

Thanks for the reply! Glad to hear it can hold 512mb, I thought I would be stuck with 256mb. I deffinatly check out that guide, btw how did you mess your ibook up?

ibook clamshell.. - 07/13/06 03:49 PM

Haha, long story made short, I kinda shorted it out/smashed it when I dropped my pliers onto it... Not good to drop pliers on open computers...

ibook clamshell.. - 07/13/06 03:54 PM

Lol, no its not good to drop pliers onto it lmao
Posted by: mordaskyt

ibook clamshell.. - 07/13/06 04:53 PM

The clamshell will be a great platform to try os x and makes a great mobile communications machine. Max the ram with a single 512 chip as it only has one slot. It will also benefit from a larger faster hard drive. 5400 rpm and as big as you can afford. It may have the 127 gb limit on the hard drive though I am not sure. It also needs wireless card if it does not already have one. As the original card is pricey you may want to check out the guides on this site for using third party cards. Have fun!

ibook clamshell.. - 07/13/06 07:16 PM

Yup those are the things im gonna do to this machine..although I do wanna do the overclocking thing..
Posted by: anil8tor

Over Clocking the iBook - 07/14/06 04:51 AM

I understand your desire to over clock your iBook clamshell, In fact I just did mine. You would benefit from a "Take apart guide" so you should check this out:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/49.0.0.html

You should also check out the mod guides here on MacMod

Be aware, the resistors you will be moving are Really, really...really! small. If you drop one on the carpet, its gone forever.
Keep us posted on this, and ask as many questions as you like, thatís what this forum is for.

ibook clamshell.. - 07/14/06 06:14 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Also one more quick question, will a dvd drive from the ibooks that came with them fit in this machine? It the 300mhz version.

ibook clamshell.. - 07/14/06 08:02 AM

Any optical drive should phsically fit fine. If you use one from an actual clamshell ibook the bezel should fit too. However if you use a trird party drive you will need to custom fit the bezel. The graphic chipset in the original ibooks is not very robust and may not support DVD playback. So movies may be out. However Data DVDs should work fine.

ibook clamshell.. - 07/14/06 09:35 AM

Ok so maybe ill just play avi's or other movie formats..if dvd is crappy im not gonna push it to play. I wouldnt really use it to much anyway, the only thing I really use the dvd for on my pc is for installing and playing games. Any way on another note I thought that clamshells where suppost to be as cheap as I bought it...im looking at others on ebay and they price from the $200 to $350 range..I bought mine for $125 shipped with guaranteed no DOA, I feel special laugh

ibook clamshell.. - 07/14/06 12:32 PM

Sweet. Put a CD Burner it and use it for music. Cool.

ibook clamshell.. - 07/14/06 03:20 PM

Hey do you guys think this will fit in the clamshell? Its not a bad price. http://cgi.ebay.com/Laptop-Combo-Drive-D...1QQcmdZViewItem
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

ibook clamshell.. - 07/15/06 12:38 AM

I could be wrong, but I suspect the Clamshell needs an optical drive set to Slave. Cable Select might work, but you will need to check with the seller. Most drivese are set to Master and cannot be changed.

ibook clamshell.. - 07/16/06 11:10 AM

Does anyone know if the ibook g4 drive is compatible to a clamshell???
Posted by: Tigaernach

ibook clamshell.. - 07/16/06 11:29 AM

If your browser is stuck whilst uploading a new post, you just have to hit "refresh" (or "reload", if you're using FireFox, which you should).
The page should load beautifully.

Not really on-topic, but handy to know.

ibook clamshell.. - 07/16/06 03:19 PM

ya thats exactly what I found out...it will act as if its gonna post but never loads correctly..I just hit refresh and my reply is there..

ibook clamshell.. - 07/17/06 07:14 AM

well Im pissed I got the ibook today and it wont turn on! Its really a big let down..im definatly getting my money back from that [censored] on ebay.

ibook clamshell.. - 07/17/06 07:49 AM

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449#faq4

Try resetting the pmu before you abandon hope. Unplug the book, remove the battery and press the little recessed button next to the power switch. Try it a few times, also try holding that little button down for like 30 seconds. Good luck.

ibook clamshell.. - 07/17/06 08:42 AM

Ive tried that a few times without luck...this really sucks...but if I have to send it back im taking the airport car out of it! The guy guaranteed it no doa

ibook clamshell.. - 07/17/06 02:19 PM

How do I know if its charging?? I think the power supply might be trashed but im not sure..one more question..if the charger he sent me is the g4 kind will it still work with the ibook clamshell? From what I can tell it the g4 charger not the g3 clamshell..

ibook clamshell.. - 07/17/06 04:22 PM

As long as it physically fits it is the correct one. The clamshells shipped with yo-yo adaptors. The newer adaptors use a smaller form factor. Though just because it fits does not mean its working....

ibook clamshell.. - 07/17/06 05:12 PM

Ok the dude I bought it from said they had problem with the chargers I hope he'll just send me a new one without having me send the whole unit back..

ibook clamshell.. - 07/18/06 04:29 PM

Ok I got it working! The end of the charging wire was burnt out..so we cut and soldered it back together and it works..the only problem I have now is this laptop apparently use to belong to a school and I can only log in as a student because the other accounts are password protected...is there any startup options (bois/menu) in which I can restore the laptop back to it original state?

ibook clamshell.. - 07/18/06 05:51 PM

Your best bet is a clean OSX install. All those accounts are garbage. Its actually rather irresponsable of the seller not to do that for you. I am glad you got it working though.

ibook clamshell.. - 07/18/06 06:33 PM

Ok that would probly be best...Also about airport, it wont let me connect to my home network..do I have to have some special hub or can I use a router?

ibook clamshell.. - 07/18/06 06:47 PM

Any wireless router should work just remember that that ibook only speaks 802.11b so the router must be set to speak b as well. Dual mode (b/g) should be fine. The airport icon is in the upper right of the menu bar and clicking on it should summon a drop down menu showing available networks to join.

ibook clamshell.. - 07/18/06 07:03 PM

Oh ok, one more question..if im gonna reinstall the os, will tiger work? Thats the only os I can get locally..and I didnt receive a cd with the laptop.This is weird I set my router to g mode instead of mixed and the clamshell didnt find it..but I put it back to mix and it found it..but everytime I click on ie it comes up saying "server not found" . Also I plugged in my ethernet and it still wont connect to the net..
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

ibook clamshell.. - 07/18/06 11:35 PM

Tiger can be used if you have planty of RAM, but you may need to use Xpostfacto unless you have firewire on board. Also you'll likely need a DVD-ROM as Tiger CDs are rare beasts indeed.

ibook clamshell.. - 07/19/06 06:43 AM

Finally I got around the passwords by entering a command in sum and it tricked the ibook into thinking it just got loaded with a fresh os and it set me as a admin, I deleted all other accounts and now im posting from my ibook. Allthough the airport still isnt working... :shade:

ibook clamshell.. - 07/20/06 12:02 PM

Originally Posted By: "mordaskyt"
The clamshell will be a great platform to try os x and makes a great mobile communications machine. Max the ram with a single 512 chip as it only has one slot. It will also benefit from a larger faster hard drive. 5400 rpm and as big as you can afford. It may have the 127 gb limit on the hard drive though I am not sure. It also needs wireless card if it does not already have one. As the original card is pricey you may want to check out the guides on this site for using third party cards. Have fun!

Hey what type of hard drive does it take? Will any notebook hard drive work?

ibook clamshell.. - 07/20/06 01:12 PM

yes any IDE (Sorry no SATA will be fine.

ibook clamshell.. - 07/20/06 01:35 PM

Ok kool thanks man.

ibook clamshell.. - 07/20/06 02:15 PM

Are you sure it has an airport?

ibook clamshell.. - 07/20/06 02:44 PM

Oh ya I forgot to tell you guys that the airport works now..it was locked to it older owners settings, also I just won a hard drive on ebay for $42 + shipping...its a 40gig but I dont need a crap load of space anyway but it is 5400rpm. Now all I got to get it some ram.