processor exchange

Posted by: tobolate

processor exchange - 07/13/06 09:41 AM

well i have a used i book g3 that is in pretty good condition, but i also want to run windows on it with out the really slow option vortual pc, so i want to know if there is a way to replace my g3 processor with an intel dual core. help is appreciated!
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

processor exchange - 07/13/06 10:06 AM

Sorry dude. Even if you were a God with a soldering iron, the chipsets are completely different, the ROM, everything. You'd have to gut the machine and install the innards from a MacBook in it. Screen and all. Which won't fit.

processor exchange - 07/13/06 10:39 AM

what if it wasnt sual core? just an intel chip... or a pentium running osx?

processor exchange - 07/13/06 10:47 AM

or maybe can i reformat my G3 to run windows too?
Posted by: whitlock

processor exchange - 07/13/06 11:00 AM

Unfortunately there is no way to run Windows on a G3 processor at this time w/o the assistance of an emulation program (like VPC). The chipset is too different (PPC) than what Windows was made for (X86).

Also, the board is too different to do any kind of proc swap, like Waragainstsleep pointed out. Your best bet at this time is to purchase a PC or an Intel Mac if you want to run Windows native. Sorry!

processor exchange - 07/13/06 11:09 AM

eh, really, i have my dream computer, an HP pavillion directly neworked to a mac mini with two monitors, one 20 inch wide screen anoth 15 in normal.. but i have possesion of an i book g3, so im trying to mod it to the max.. can afford vpc are there any free ones?
Posted by: shadowboxer47

processor exchange - 07/13/06 02:34 PM

Originally Posted By: "tobolate"
eh, really, i have my dream computer, an HP pavillion directly neworked to a mac mini with two monitors, one 20 inch wide screen anoth 15 in normal.. but i have possesion of an i book g3, so im trying to mod it to the max.. can afford vpc are there any free ones?

Not that I'm aware of. Frankly, any emulatin is going to be unworkably slow. I have a 2GHz G5 w/ 2Gig RAM and Windows 95 crawls with emulation--I use it for one, text based program.

Sorry. No way, no how.

processor exchange - 07/13/06 05:40 PM

well... i know that its not possible.. but im hard headed and a stubbern torus.. so ill try everyway i can fist =p