Powerbook LVDS pinout?

Posted by: apobrien

Powerbook LVDS pinout? - 06/26/06 05:23 AM

Hello All,

Does anyone know where I can find the cable pinout (logic board side) for the LVDS video cable on a DVI Tibook? I've been searching around but I can't find it. All of the electronic service manuals I've seen had pinouts and such but not this one - just troubleshooting advice.

I broke the hinge on my 1Ghz pbook a while back and shorted the built-in display's output to the chasis borking it good. Thankfully, the external display o/p still works, as does the beautiful LCD.

I've been using it as a server but I would like to put the LCD to use as a remote picture frame. The project should be pretty easy - Take the LCD and put it in a nice wood or plexiglass frame, buy a new LVDS cable ($20 eBay) and then fabricate a connector from the LVDS to a DVI cable and run it through the wall to my basement where my broken (but not defeated) pbook lies.

I could control the whole thing via VNC and display all sorts of things - weather, photos, scanned art books, funny slashdot posts ...

Just need that damn pinout!

Thanks!
Andy
Posted by: anil8tor

Powerbook LVDS pinout? - 06/26/06 05:31 AM

Try this...maybe...

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com

click on articles then search, good luck
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Powerbook LVDS pinout? - 06/26/06 11:48 AM

Truthfully, you are unlikely to find those pinouts on the net. Using Laptop LCDs as standalone monitors has been a dream of many people. At least one other has asked such a question on MacMod before now.
LCDs tend to have different pinouts from model to model. Seems stupid to me, but as with most of these things, it was probably done that way deliberately to stop people doing exactly what you intend.
I have always said that the 'easiest' way to accomplish this is to find a standalone external LCD which uses the exact same model of LCD panel as you have, then find a cracked one cheap and swap the panels, rehousing the whole thing if you feel the need. Of course this relies on someone actually having built and sold such a monitor, and in sufficient numbers that you are likely to find a cracked one.
You may find the pinouts are printed on the PCB on the panel itself. Not all of them have this, but some do, including some of the ones used by Apple. The hard part here (if you do find them) is deciphering them, as they will more than likely be abbreviated to two or three letters or symbols each, and you will need to know what they all mean. Then you can work out the pinouts at the logic board end using a multimeter.

Best of luck.