closing lcd and still music?

Posted by: cincyaaron

closing lcd and still music? - 01/08/06 07:59 PM

I was wondering if there was a firmware hack or script that would allow iTunes to play while the lcd is closed? I dont know if this is is possible, just hoping?
Posted by: griffer

Re:closing lcd and still music? - 01/08/06 11:15 PM

Are you thinking of a laptop? If so, i wouldn't recommend it, as laptop macs cool through the "top". It would probably damage your laptop permanently...
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re:closing lcd and still music? - 01/08/06 11:48 PM

Depends on the laptop. They do tend to run warm, but I know at least alu PBs are deigned to run with the lid down. I think you have to have an external monitor connected though. And possibly keyboard and mouse too.
Posted by: griffer

Re:closing lcd and still music? - 01/09/06 01:07 AM

Waragainstsleep wrote:
Quote:
Depends on the laptop. They do tend to run warm, but I know at least alu PBs are deigned to run with the lid down. I think you have to have an external monitor connected though. And possibly keyboard and mouse too.

K, didn't know that.
Posted by: cincyaaron

Re:closing lcd and still music? - 01/09/06 09:30 AM

Ah, I have a g4 14' ibook. Just trying to find something innovative that will allow me to keep listenin to my music with the lid closed.
Posted by: krusher117

Re:closing lcd and still music? - 01/09/06 09:53 AM

that always annoyed me about my ibook. I like being able to close the top of my thinkpad when I need to just listen to music or when I'm quickly moving from one table to another.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re:closing lcd and still music? - 01/09/06 11:48 AM

You can do it with an iBook. You have to apply a patch of some kind. I think its the same one which allows you to run dual displays properly.

A link to a program that will do this for you was posted on this thread:

http://www.macmod.com/component/option,com_simpleboard/Itemid,/func,view/catid,46/id,10010/#10010

Here is the link again:

http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html
Posted by: maestro

Re:closing lcd and still music? - 01/09/06 01:06 PM

I wouldnt worry about the closing the lid as far as heat is concerned. The LCD will sleep and the vents are on the sides anyway. It never hurts to set it on a stand or something that can help air reach all sides of it.
-maestro
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re:closing lcd and still music? - 01/09/06 04:26 PM

Know would be neat. If you can find a way to beable to close the lid and to ensure the cooling you can install a blower fan.