Airport Extreme For PowerBook G3 Pismo?

Posted by: Antonio

Airport Extreme For PowerBook G3 Pismo? - 12/23/05 04:02 PM

Hi folks,

I just picked up a Linksys WPC54G 802.11g PC card.
It utilises the Broadcom chipset, and is compatible with Apple's Airport software and recognised by System Profiler as an Airport Extreme card.

What would be excellent, if possible, is to install this internally, using the Airport card slot.

I'm guessing it would require pinout specs for both the Airport card and the Linksys card and modification based on that info.
As for the antenna, that's a no-brainer. I'd remove the antenna from the Linksys card and attach the PowerBook's internal antenna ( which I plan on modding for better reception ).

Maybe, if that won't work, I could find a PC card cage with two slots ( say, from a Wallstreet ? ) and mod it to fit in the Pismo? I only need enough of the top slot to fit the wireless card, which is about the same thickness as an Airport card.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Post edited by: Antonio, at: 2005/12/24 00:16
Posted by: maestro

Re:Airport Extreme For PowerBook G3 Pismo? - 12/23/05 04:19 PM

Why not just use it as PC card? I know the airport cards are pricey and slower, but really for what you will do with your Pismo, it would have worked just fine.
-maestro
Posted by: mordaskyt

Re:Airport Extreme For PowerBook G3 Pismo? - 12/23/05 04:40 PM

I've seen the original airport slot discussed in length, it apparently does not have the bandwidth to support 802.11g, thats why no one has ever (as far as I know) made a successful upgrade to one. The easiest thing to do is just use the PCMCIA slot, but the dumb thing will stick out, I know.... If there is room for the card somewhere in the chassis perhaps you could build a cable to route the pins from the PCMCIA slot to the card?
Posted by: krusher117

Re:Airport Extreme For PowerBook G3 Pismo? - 12/23/05 09:29 PM

i have a thinkpad for work with a Cisco PCMCIA 802.11G card. The little nub that sticks out isn't annoying at all. I haven't had it get in the way very often.

Post edited by: krusher117, at: 2005/12/24 05:29
Posted by: Antonio

Re:Airport Extreme For PowerBook G3 Pismo? - 12/23/05 11:03 PM

Well, I thought it would be a cool mod, to have it internal.

No, the nob isn't in the way at all. I use a Targus backpack, so I don't even need to remove the card during transport, so there's no bother with installation, removal, or wearing out the slot ( if that's even a real possibility ).

Even so, I may remove the nub for an external antenna... or internal, working with the aforementioned idea of connecting it to my PowerBook's modified internal antenna.
I like working with copper wink

Then the card would be internal, just taking the PC card slot, which I don't use for anything else.

BTW, the Linksys is a Cisco manufactured card as well. I was really excited that it used the same chipset as Airport. No software to install. It just works.

My previous card was a Macsense 802.11b, and the only driver available for 10.4 is one which IOExperts sells for $20. I purchased the Linksys for $25, off Craig's List, so there's no way in hell I'm paying for a shareware driver :pinch:
Two people have already offered $25 for the old card, so it's all worked out rather nicely.
It still has free drivers for OSs 8-10.3

Post edited by: Antonio, at: 2005/12/24 07:08
Posted by: maestro

Re:Airport Extreme For PowerBook G3 Pismo? - 12/24/05 07:31 AM

I will do the same for my wifes Pismo, but the rest of my network is wired giga ethernet for security purposes.B)
-maestro