I screwed up my iBook mod

Posted by: TCPMeta

I screwed up my iBook mod - 10/07/05 11:43 PM

Well a client brought in his laptop to be serviced and well the whole LCD and mobo was dead. He bought a used thinkpad that was much faster and I transfered all of crap over to it. Anyway I took the broken laptop home and striped it down. I took the DVD drive and the HD. I used the HD for a external backup device. I took off the front face of the DVD drive and then took apart my iBook. It took me three hours lol. I wanted to be carefull not to break anything. I got the old 24x CD-ROM out and hooked up the DVD. Before I tested it I put it all back together. Well I fired it up and theres a drive conflict. The HD and DVD are bot set to master whistle
So as we speak i'm trying to build up straegh to take the iBook back apart to change the dip switch on the DVD.

Re:I screwed up my iBook mod - 10/08/05 01:02 AM

Seems like I just can't win. I pulled out the DVD and there is no dip switch to set it to slave.
Is there a device that will turn a IDE drive into Firewire and is cheap?
Posted by: zenstate

Re:I screwed up my iBook mod - 10/08/05 01:57 AM

TCPMeta wrote:
Quote:
Seems like I just can't win. I pulled out the DVD and there is no dip switch to set it to slave.
Is there a device that will turn a IDE drive into Firewire and is cheap?

sorry to hear about your bad luck.

if you really want to use this system then I say just get an external optical or another internal. I have never seen external enclosures for laptop optical drives though.
Posted by: maestro

Re:I screwed up my iBook mod - 10/08/05 02:17 AM

Thats strange. Are the iBooks from different series? Maybe your board wasnt designed to accept that hardware? I would do some research before you make it ouboard. Hopefully someone with some knowledge on this can chim in.
-maestro
Posted by: anil8tor

Re:I screwed up my iBook mod - 10/08/05 02:22 AM

Hey check here and search for enclosures firewire B)
Posted by: mordaskyt

Re:I screwed up my iBook mod - 10/08/05 04:07 AM

The solution is simple, many (if not most) laptop internal optical drives are are hard wired to master, just set the hard drive to slave, the apple hard drive connector leaves the last four pins on the hard disk exposed, jump the two closest to the cable. I had the same problem with my first iBook (the "Tired Roadwarrior" Mod") Trust me its no big deal. Everything still works, boots etc. just fine.
Posted by: macDeviant

Re:I screwed up my iBook mod - 10/08/05 07:30 AM

the only disadvantage to that would be losing the ability to target mode the ibook. simialr instaces when i put my laptop combo drive and laptop hardrive into my cube. had to set the hardrive to slave. everything works great. and if i need to transfer something i use an ethernet cable.

Re:I screwed up my iBook mod - 10/12/05 08:36 PM

[censored]) also connects to the jumper for the master selection. I would mod the cable so it would select cablbe select or slave, it's not like it's part of the wireing on it. Yet with my luck I would mess it up. I might just go ahead and find a laptop slim DVD drive that has settings for master and slave.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re:I screwed up my iBook mod - 10/13/05 12:30 AM

I wouldn't be 100% sure that you would lose firewire target mode by running the HD as slave. Some Macs are more than happy to share multiple drives including optical drives in firewire mode.

What is the make/model of the drive? There may be a simple mod to switch it to slave anyway...

Re:I screwed up my iBook mod - 10/13/05 11:17 AM

Bad news. I _censored_ up the ribbon cable to my iBook. Anyone have a spare to give me or sell to me?

Post edited by: whitlock, at: 2005/10/16 13:50
Posted by: KnifeLord

Re:I screwed up my iBook mod - 10/13/05 01:03 PM

Sorry don't have the cable, but...
When I put a PB Ti. DVD drive into my iMac G3 (OLD school) it didn't work either... So I removed the drive, put 10.2 on it, and put it back in... once it finished starting up i hit Software Update, and it put in firmware for the DVD drive... that is likely all you would have to do... I could be wrong...
As for enclosers I asked the same thing awile back, in the old style iMac G3's there is a board that converts the laptop CD drive plug to laptop HD plug, I am guessing that all you need to do is pick one of them up and grab a laptop HDD to Desktop HDD converter then plug it into your avrage external drive case... There is a company that makes the same board, the link for it is in a post awile back... I will check if I can find it...

-Knife
Posted by: KnifeLord

Re:I screwed up my iBook mod - 10/13/05 01:09 PM

Here... This is the link to the similar fourm...
http://www.macmod.com/component/option,com_simpleboard/Itemid,/func,view/catid,42/id,5941/#5941

-Knife

Re:I screwed up my iBook mod - 10/13/05 11:43 PM

Well I jerry rigged my ribbon cable. Since it was the side that the CD-ROM plugs in I just cut it off and pulled out the drive. Now the iBook boots fine. I'll just have to live with my external DVD+RW untill I can get a new ribbon cable. I found a new replacement for 30 bucks, i'll order it when I get back from my vacation. I just hope Tiger doesn't mess up on me or i'm out of a laptop untill I get that ribbon cable.
Posted by: mordaskyt

Re:I screwed up my iBook mod - 10/14/05 02:18 AM

30 bucks??!!! Dude rip off! Powerbook Tech has it for $2.95!

http://www.powerbooktech.com/item,name-Main-Data-Cable-for-iBook-500%2F600%2F700%2F800,cat-(4).htm

Re:I screwed up my iBook mod - 10/17/05 08:27 AM

Werid everywhere else has that part for like 30 to 50 bucks.
Posted by: maestro

Re:I screwed up my iBook mod - 10/17/05 10:39 AM

Its funny that prices range from really low to outragous. Its very true though. I saw a Rev. B G3 logicboard for $349.00 yesterday! WHAT A RIPOFF! You can find the one on eBay for around 20 bucks. It really does pay to shop around.
-maestro

Re:I screwed up my iBook mod - 10/17/05 08:46 PM

Just nakes me mad as heck about spending 30 bucks for a part I could of gotten for 3 bucks. Oh well the one I ordered is brand new and still in it's sealed bag from Apple's repair center.