12\" G4 converted to Media Center

Posted by: Imhotep1963

12\" G4 converted to Media Center - 09/28/05 07:12 AM

Hi everyone! Been a reader for awhile but this is my first post!

I recently started a project of converting a Powerbook to a media center that would stay attached to my entertainment center (would like to use CenterStage as interface). I got the idea when I just got tired of plugging my Powerbook into the TV to watch my downloaded TV shows(lazy whistle ).

So my question is, what are the bare bones essential parts of the Powerbook that I would need? Currently I have from a 12" Powerbook:
[ul]
[*]1.33ghz logic board DVI
[*]DC to DC board
[*]Inner Frame
[*]Heat Sink
[/ul]

Now the obvious parts needed would be ram, hard drive, and DC In Board. Don't need the battery and the modem nore the speakers. Don't need a display but a touch screen would be nice wink .Probably should put in a superdrive. So what else can I exclude to get a working system?

Any and all help/info is appreciated!

smile

Post edited by: imhotep1963, at: 2005/09/28 14:14
Posted by: maestro

Re:12" G4 converted to Media Center - 09/28/05 08:26 AM

Okay, lets go with what you dont need. Thats easier. The LCD, the keyboard and top cover(mouse), the battery, and the modem.. Keep the lower bottom cover with the logic board. That will keep everything well grounded and its just plain easier. You could add a small touch screen to the vga output. BUT, why loose a great laptop! You could add a remote video box to your tv that accepts signals from your powerbook. I myself would keep it in one piece, well unless it was already broken.
-maestro

Re:12" G4 converted to Media Center - 09/28/05 08:29 AM

Oh no, I'm sorry. I've been buying pieces off of ebay for cheap! whenever I come accross something at a good price, I buy it! So I'm not destrying, I'm creating!

:evil:
Posted by: macDeviant

Re:12" G4 converted to Media Center - 09/28/05 09:25 AM

do you have the fans for the logic board...? i would think those would be pretty essential to have
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:12" G4 converted to Media Center - 09/28/05 10:17 AM

first of all, welcome to macmod! Glad to see you are participating in the forums. What kind of case do you plan on using? If its large enough, you can get some other fans that might be a little more powerful. I am gussing that you will be puttin the components in a somewhat larger case and laptop fans might not be powerful enough to circulate enough air.

centerstage is a great gui, would be a nice choice.

Yea, I am with maestro on keeping the bottom case if you have it. I would lose the modem, speakers, keyboard, top cover, and lcd. A nice integration of a slot load superdrive would be sweet.

Still thinking of ideas, might post more later.

Re:12" G4 converted to Media Center - 09/28/05 10:46 AM

Okay, now im with it. Glad to see you are building from scratch! You may not need the heatsink fan combo since you will have room to put in a big one. Silverstone makes the most beautiful cases in the industry (except for Apple of course). Check em out at http://www.newegg.com.
-maestro

Re:12" G4 converted to Media Center - 09/28/05 12:44 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Showimage....Supply+-+Retail

its a little pricey, but I like that one. Wouldn't need the sloat loading for that case, and it has a remote that I am sure wouldn't work :S

Re:12" G4 converted to Media Center - 09/28/05 01:02 PM

Aah, like a fine piece of hi-end audio. Me likes a lot! Now if they only gave them away for free. :ermm:
-maestro

Good choice Jacob.
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re:12" G4 converted to Media Center - 09/28/05 01:15 PM

Typical... I get on late and everybody made the suggestions that I would have.

Welcome to MacMod!

Re:12" G4 converted to Media Center - 09/28/05 01:22 PM

I love that case! Actually I was just thinking about using an old stereo amplifier case that I have, until I work the kinks out. Then I would go for something pricey!! :cheer:

Since I was using that case, I was going to add a fan to blow across the heatsink. My thought was to use the fan on the frame to pull off the heat from the heatsink and use the added fan to blow out the exhaust in the back!

The CenterStage site has a nice section of remote controls. Personally I like the one from Griffen since it will also control some apps.

-jim

Re:12" G4 converted to Media Center - 09/28/05 06:45 PM

making me want one real bad, and I dont even watch tv. Maybe I will have to start wink
Posted by: usbcd36

Re:12 - 10/11/05 01:19 PM

oojacoboo wrote:
Quote:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Showimage....Supply+-+Retail

its a little pricey, but I like that one. Wouldn't need the sloat loading for that case, and it has a remote that I am sure wouldn't work :S

If it happens to be a USB connection for the remote it might work. I'd check and see if USB Overdrive will recognize it, because that would be good!