What will let me access a Pismo Hard Drive?

Posted by: StillbornChrist

What will let me access a Pismo Hard Drive? - 09/26/05 02:09 AM

I'm not strictly looking to mod my old Pismo PowerBook, it's just that the power has failed after one drop on the floor too many, and I could do with getting a few files off the Hard Drive.

Is there anything I could plug the hard drive into that would let me access the data on it (not necessarily boot from the drive)?

EG, could I swap / add the hard drive to another machine? Could I somehow turn the HD into an external USB/Firewire drive that I could access???

Any advice welcomed. :-)
Posted by: maestro

Re:What will let me access a Pismo Hard Drive? - 09/26/05 03:15 AM

If you have another powermac, you can get a 2.5-3.5 adaptor to put the hd in you mac.
Just Google the above and you should get several hits. They are cheap too. Good luck.
-maestro
Posted by: mordaskyt

Re:What will let me access a Pismo Hard Drive? - 09/26/05 03:20 AM

If the drive is large enough to warrent it, (And you are not planning on repairing Mr.Pismo frown ) You could by an external firewire enclosure for it, easy to do, very nice. I did it with a desktop Hard Drive I had, It rocks.

Re:What will let me access a Pismo Hard Drive? - 09/26/05 03:42 AM

Thanks Maestro - I do have an old PowerMac - but it's a 7200 90Mhz running OS7!

Do you think it would be able to run the drive from the Pismo?

Re:What will let me access a Pismo Hard Drive? - 09/26/05 04:13 AM

The internal bus on the 7200 is SCSI, so no dice. at least not without a PCI card.

Re:What will let me access a Pismo Hard Drive? - 09/26/05 05:18 AM

mordaskyt - your idea is more what I was thinking. I don't know how to repair the Pismo, I looked on PBFixIt but it looks complicated.

I will put the drive back once the data is off, I just wanna get it off before I sell the Pismo on.

Coz it'll only take me an hour or so to ge tthe data off I don't necessarily need an external case, I could just leave the drive flopping about.

In this case, is there a cheaper cable that will let me just plug the drive into the firewire/usb, get the data off and then plug the drive back into the laptop??

Re:What will let me access a Pismo Hard Drive? - 09/26/05 06:03 AM

Well, stand alone solutions do exist but are much more expensive than the enclosure kits. An external 2.5" firewire/USB kit can be had for under $20 on ebay. Really Maestro's suggestion (internal Adaptor) is the easiest and cheapest, Are you looking to connect the drive to a PC? that would be your only real challange with either the internal or the external solution, we could help you though. We could also help you figure out how to fix the Pismo, if you'd like.

Re:What will let me access a Pismo Hard Drive? - 09/26/05 06:35 AM

Just wanna connect it to a Mac, which will hopefully see it as an external drive and let me get the stuff I need off.

I have a G4 Powerbook with a USB & Firewire, running OSX so I'm hoping to conect to that. the drive in the Pismo is OS9, though I'm only after data files, so am hoping that's not gonna be an issue.

It would be great if someone would be able to guide me in how to fix the Pismo, but honestly, I've never even used a soldering iron, so not sure I'm up for the job. If anyone on here is in London, UK and wants to help - let me know! :-)

In the meantime though, I'll get scouting eBay for an external kit for the drive. Do they have to be Mac compatible, or will anyone do?

Also, what determines whether I make it USB or Firewire when I put the drive in?

Cheers for these answers!!!

Re:What will let me access a Pismo Hard Drive? - 09/26/05 07:02 AM

Searching for "2.5 firewire" on ebay will turn up lots of kits, there is no difference between the kits as far as Mac vrs PC is concerned. Any one will do. Basically you put the drive in the case and the case has either a Firewire, USB or both ports on the back, plug an ordinary cable in just like any other external device. Personally I would reccomend firewire over usb, Kits with both ports will use which ever cable you plug into the back after the drive is in. If your powerbook has USB 2.0 than either is fine, But if its a titanium, then firewire is the way to go. Once the drive is installed in the case, just plug in the cable and it should mount on the desktop fine.

Just be sure to buy a 2.5" (Laptop Drive) enclosure and not a 3.5" (Desktop Sized) one

Post edited by: mordaskyt, at: 2005/09/26 14:06

Re:What will let me access a Pismo Hard Drive? - 09/26/05 09:02 AM

Ok, I think I've got a plan together.

I don't think my G4 Powerbook does have USB2 (it's a PowerBook G4 Onyx 15" (VGA) 667Mhz) so I rekon I might as well get a drive case that's just Firewire???

What do you rekon?

Next task will be getting the drive out! :-D

Post edited by: StillbornChrist, at: 2005/09/26 17:01

Re:What will let me access a Pismo Hard Drive? - 09/26/05 09:14 AM

That should be perfect, Removing the drive will be a snap, its right under the keyboard, The Pismo is one of the easiest Powerbooks to work on.

Re:What will let me access a Pismo Hard Drive? - 09/26/05 09:26 AM

Ok - thanks for all the info! I'll get that and set to work this weekend.

I think the problem with the Pismo is probably a ruptured power socket or something, as it was working fine till it slid off my mate's lap onto the floor. Now it just won't startup, and the battery's got no power so can't startup from that. :-/

Would fixing the power bit be easy or difficult. Like I said, I'm no expert & don't have a soldering iron.... I'm guessing it's difficult.

Re:What will let me access a Pismo Hard Drive? - 09/26/05 09:43 AM

Well, first would try to find out if it is the DC power board, either by physical inspection (is it visibly damaged) or indirectly: Find someone else with a pismo and try thier battery to see if the computer starts. If it does, then this small power board is most likley the problem. It is not hard to replace, though you will have to take apart most of the laptop to do it. http://www.powerbooktech.com has a take apart guide, they sell the part too but thier price is too high if you ask me.

Re:What will let me access a Pismo Hard Drive? - 10/02/05 05:59 AM

Managed to get the HD out successfully thanks to your advice Mordaskyt!

Have been thinking about the power board replacement, but everywhere I've looked they're so expensive (50 with postage) it doesn't seem worth it for what the machine itself is actually worth.

If anyone has a donor Pismo power board I'd be interested in hearing form them.

Failing that the Pismo is gonna get sold as is.

Post edited by: StillbornChrist, at: 2005/10/02 14:27
Posted by: anil8tor

Re:What will let me access a Pismo Hard Drive? - 10/02/05 10:52 AM

Hey if you decide not to repair please post it in the Trading Warehouse, I am sure someone here would be interested wink

Re:What will let me access a Pismo Hard Drive? - 10/03/05 10:30 AM

Ahhhh... I've already popped it on eBay. :-/ (Don't shoot me!).

I can post a link to it if that's allowed?

It seems a lot of peeps on here are in the US, whereas I'm in the UK, so the postage would be phenomenal to send it to someone in the Trading Area (correct me if I'm wrong on that point. :-))
Posted by: whitlock

Re:What will let me access a Pismo Hard Drive? - 10/03/05 11:11 AM

Post up a link in the Trading Warehouse.

Re:What will let me access a Pismo Hard Drive? - 10/06/05 10:49 AM

OK, will do. :-)
Posted by: MikeMan

Re:What will let me access a Pismo Hard Drive? - 10/06/05 01:01 PM

what about a USB/IDE adaptop i use one with my cd burner for my dell laptop, ive used it on my imac aswell? cost me 20NZD allways handy, but since your laptop drive youll need a 2.5-3.5 convertor also
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re:What will let me access a Pismo Hard Drive? - 10/07/05 06:37 AM

I say fix the Pismo.
Does the battery charge at all if you plug into AC power? If itt charges, but the Pismo won't boot, then the logic board has probably gone so maybe then you could give up on it, but if not it could also be the AC/sound in board or the battery/trackpad board.

If you have a circuit tester you can find out enough about the power system to know where the problem lies. If the battery isn't charging, it could still be the logic board, but might not be. If you can take the logic board and AC/sound board out, you can test with a circuit tester to see if the power is getting through. Remove both (and the battery/trackpad board too if you like) and connect them together as they would be when the machine is whole. Use one probe from the circuit tester on the power jack (where you plug in the PSU normally) and test each pin in turn where the battery is normally connected. It doesn't matter which pins have what voltage or anything, you just want to know if any is getting through. If its going all the way through, but not charging, then the battery is dead (unlikely). If you get no signal at all from any of the battery pins, then remove the battery board and test the pins where it connects to the logic. If you get power now, the battery board is gone. These are cheap enough to replace. If you still have no power, you can check to see if the AC board is working by disconnecting it from the logic board and testing for a signal between the power jack and the pins which connect to the logic board. Again, the AC board should be fairly cheap to replace.
You can also check the logic board itself by testing between the pins where the AC board connects, and the pins where the battery board goes.

This should allow you to determine which part to replace. If you like the idea of learning this sort of thing then the Pismo is a good machine to learn with. Later laptops get progressively more difficult to work on. Trust me.

On the other hand, if the files you want to retrieve are small, undo the seven screws on the bottom of your G4 and put the Pismo drive in that. Then boot up and email the files to yourself. Then swap back and download them again. Removing HDs from an early TiBook is just as easy as removing them from the Pismo.