Should I Try For an 83mhz Lombard Again?

Posted by: Antonio

Should I Try For an 83mhz Lombard Again? - 08/03/05 05:51 AM

Well, I found a new 333mhz daughtercard for my Lombard today.
I know for certain that I'll be overclocking the processor, and I'm tempted to try the bus clock again.

Sifting through xbench scores, I find it's been done successfully at least once.

here

Mind you, I'm not even considering 460mhz from a 333... 433 at most.
Likely, 400mhz is where I'll end up. I'll try for 433, and if it works out, replace the current heatsink/guard with something of my own design, made of copper.

Anyhow, debate away. Tell me why I should or shouldn't, 'cause I'm on the fence right now.
Posted by: maestro

Re:Should I Try For an 83mhz Lombard Again? - 08/03/05 06:14 AM

Yes on the daughtercard, no on the bus OC. When overclocking the bus, especially on such
old tech, you lose stability. You will need some high end ram to withstand the OC, and really
it wont give you much benefit. You could try it anyway. Im interested to see what happens, but not at the expense of your hardware.
-maestro
Posted by: whitlock

Re:Should I Try For an 83mhz Lombard Again? - 08/03/05 03:46 PM

I concur with maestro about only OC'ing the daughtercard. If you have the funds to replace the board as well, it's your checkbook.
Posted by: Antonio

Re:Should I Try For an 83mhz Lombard Again? - 08/04/05 04:20 PM

Yeah, I think I'll stick with the CPU uplock.

I seem to have hit a nsty streak with my mods lately.
It's because the Challenge is approaching. If I didn't need to get any of it done soon, it would all work :P
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re:Should I Try For an 83mhz Lombard Again? - 08/05/05 03:42 AM

There was an older Wallstreet model which ran on an 83MHz bus. If it wasn't for the memory controller, I'd say go for it, but you need high end RAM in a Lombard to have any hope of running OS X properly anyway, regardless of whether you overclock it.

Just do the chip if I were you.....