Titanium DVI with a VGA screen

Posted by: skigil

Titanium DVI with a VGA screen - 05/10/05 08:41 AM

hello all..

i have a dvi titanium with a broken screen. i also have an older vga titanium that doesn't work, but i know the screen does. is it possible to take the vga screen and throw it on the dvi model?

thanks!

-skigil
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:Titanium DVI with a VGA screen - 05/10/05 11:36 AM

yea, buy a DVI -> VGA converter and you should be set.
Posted by: krusher117

Re:Titanium DVI with a VGA screen - 05/10/05 02:06 PM

ok either I don't understand the post or Jacob doesnt. You are planning to switch the stock LCD on the DVI model with the one on the VGA model right? If that is the case, then I think you should be fine. The screen connector shouldn't have changed. I'd say the easy way would be to take apart the screen and just look at the connector/.
Posted by: TutAnGeek

Re:Titanium DVI with a VGA screen - 05/10/05 10:47 PM

Good news: The LCD doesn't use a connector anything at all like VGA or DVI to connect to the mobo. Badnews: There's a slight chance that this cable and signalling spec will be the same, but I would doubt it.

Wegener lists the LCD's with different product numbers, so I would think that they are /not/ compatible and that you'd have to do some pretty kick-ass reverse engineering to build a signal converter. The panel might not even fit size-wise into the shell.
Posted by: whitlock

Re:Titanium DVI with a VGA screen - 05/11/05 04:41 AM

TutAnGeek wrote:
Quote:
Good news: The LCD doesn't use a connector anything at all like VGA or DVI to connect to the mobo

laugh
Posted by: skigil

Re:Titanium DVI with a VGA screen - 05/11/05 09:01 AM

Ok, well...

So far its worked. I've had the machine on for 5 min. and so far no smoke. The connection was the same, and everything looked right as I put it back together. If anything goes wrong, I'll let you know smile

(yes, the project was switching the LCD screen's of the two machines.)

-skigil
Posted by: krusher117

Re:Titanium DVI with a VGA screen - 05/11/05 11:30 AM

good to hear. I would have been very surprised if Apple changed the physical connector/cable from one minor update to another.
Posted by: whitlock

Re:Titanium DVI with a VGA screen - 05/11/05 11:39 AM

Well, if it made it past 5 minutes and the inverter didn't feel too hot, then you should be good to go.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re:Titanium DVI with a VGA screen - 05/22/05 12:33 AM

LCDs often have entirely different connectors on them from model to model. The graphics chips used to drive them in laptops are often redesigned in order to drive a particular batch of panels. We have a host of panels in our workshop, including 3 TiBooks and a 17" G4 iMac panel which we wanted to turn into a standalone VGA or DVI monitor. Its considerably easier said than done sadly.
Posted by: mordaskyt

Re:Titanium DVI with a VGA screen - 05/22/05 01:42 AM

Waragainstsleep wrote:
Quote:
LCDs often have entirely different connectors on them from model to model. The graphics chips used to drive them in laptops are often redesigned in order to drive a particular batch of panels. We have a host of panels in our workshop, including 3 TiBooks and a 17" G4 iMac panel which we wanted to turn into a standalone VGA or DVI monitor. Its considerably easier said than done sadly.

I would say that the panel will either work outright or not at all, since it seemed to work you should be good to go. Using an old laptop LCD as an external display is known as "The Holy Grail" of hacks i.e. often talked about, never seen. The Video controller circuits are built into the motherboard. Using the screen without them would require engineering a controller board from scratch.
Posted by: burtman

Re:Titanium DVI with a VGA screen - 05/22/05 02:18 AM

Their are a few companys that make boards and powersupplys that will let you take an old laptop screen and connect it to VGA connectors, but they don't often sell to the public and by the time you add up the cost of sourcing one it makes your cheap old LCD from a dead laptop very expensive. Shame really.
Posted by: dankephoto

Re:Titanium DVI with a VGA screen - 07/20/05 02:08 AM

As the OP found it out, an 1152x "VGA" screen can work on a DVI model TiBook. All TiBook screens are physically interchangable, sharing the same backlight and sleep connectors, as well as the hinges.

I've seen two possible scenarios with the OP's swap, the first as above where the "VGA" screen is properly IDed and works at its native 1152x rez. The second is where the 'Book thinks it has a 1280x rez screen attached and the extra pixels are generated by the 'Book but are (not visible) offscreen to the right and below. The difference seems to be in the cable, where testing different cables on a sample DVI machine and pre-DVI LCD produced the two different results.

I've got more infos on my TiBook displays page: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/macdan/tibook_display.html

dan k
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re:Titanium DVI with a VGA screen - 07/20/05 06:55 AM

The only feasible way to do it, is to find a standalone monitor which uses the same panel as the one you have. Ideally, you would then track down the standalone with a cracked panel, and buy it cheap for the controller board etc.