G4 logic board in G3 laptop

Posted by: skakillers

G4 logic board in G3 laptop - 04/23/05 07:53 AM

i was just wondering, since i found a site that sell g3 laptops for cheapness and also G4 logic boards, will a G4 board fit in a G3 and have all the same connectors? i googled all sorts of stuff related to this and could find no answer.
Posted by: krusher117

Re:G4 logic board in G3 laptop - 04/23/05 08:27 AM

please be more specific. Are you talking about a G3 iBook 12 inch case with a G4 Powerbook 12 inch logic board?

Re:G4 logic board in G3 laptop - 04/23/05 08:52 AM

yeah
i was wondering because it would be cheaper to buy a G3 and keep the hard drive and optical drive and case but just switch out the old board for a new one, then sell the old one.
Posted by: zenstate

Re:G4 logic board in G3 laptop - 04/23/05 11:48 AM

skakillers wrote:
Quote:
yeah
i was wondering because it would be cheaper to buy a G3 and keep the hard drive and optical drive and case but just switch out the old board for a new one, then sell the old one.

far too much fuss to save a few bucks and you could easily end up in the hole.
Posted by: dead13

Re:G4 logic board in G3 laptop - 04/23/05 02:25 PM

actually it can't be done #1 the frames are different sizes and #2 the connectors to everything are different.i know this because i wanted to do the same thing and found i i could not also i have been inside the i book and if you have never opened one up the risk is not worth it i would say sell your old one save up about 300-400 more dollars and buy the 12 inch g4 for 999 through apples website.

Re:G4 logic board in G3 laptop - 04/24/05 08:12 AM

thanx anyway what a about just upgrading a G3? i want to do some sort of ibook mod but im not sure what (i need an ibook first though)

Re:G4 logic board in G3 laptop - 04/24/05 08:35 AM

i just remembered this, im pretty sure that once on ebay there was an ibook that was a G3 case modded to be clear with a G4 mobo in it. maybe the guy was lying, i dunno, but he was selling a G4 in a g3 case.