12 in G4 Powerbook to iTablet conversion?

Posted by: orinoco

12 in G4 Powerbook to iTablet conversion? - 03/25/05 01:50 PM

Hello:
I'm thinking to volunteer my 12 inch Mac Powerbook G4 for an experiment in converting it to a Tablet, similarly to that done by Joseph and reported in http://www.macmod.com some time back.

I am trying to figure out what I need (besides the courage or recklessness). I think if I get one of the add-on touchscreen from http://www.magictouch.com, this should be do-able. Or maybe from Troll Touch.

Any advice on where to go for help/encouragement on this? Has anyone else pulled this off, or am I going into unchartered territory?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Fernando
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:12 in G4 Powerbook to iTablet conversion? - 03/26/05 02:50 AM

you can get plenty of advice here on macmod. However, I don't think anyone else here has done that. As far as support, you won't find any better support for the project, macmod's members would love to see a mod like this.

Go for it, the most rewarding mod is one that you have accomplished that no one else has.
Posted by: dead13

Re:12 in G4 Powerbook to iTablet conversion? - 03/26/05 03:58 PM

i'm in for support on the wiring maybe machining a couple of parts if you need them like new hinges etc.. lemme know if i can help
Posted by: TutAnGeek

Re:12 in G4 Powerbook to iTablet conversion? - 03/27/05 12:56 AM

The only comment that I have to make is that I didn't like the fact that the iTablet used a regular touch screen. I can see it getting annoying because it would be difficult to, say, rest your arm across the tablet and write. I'd really like to see one that uses a graphics tablet style pad.

In fact, I'd check out this tablet, and try to put it below your LCD.

Post edited by: tutangeek, at: 2005/03/27 09:23
Posted by: whitlock

Re:12 in G4 Powerbook to iTablet conversion? - 03/27/05 01:27 AM

Good point about the touchscreen. It's easy to to hold that thing with your forearm going across the other way and mess up whatever work you were doing.

I bet Joseph depends on that cover a bit more as a cover than a dual stand. Wonder if he has anything to say since it's been a while; maybe some tips/tricks to using the iTablet.
Posted by: TutAnGeek

Re:12 in G4 Powerbook to iTablet conversion? - 03/27/05 12:49 PM

What about one of those hinges that rotates around two axes (so that you can use it both as a laptop with the screen facing down and as a tablet with the screen facing up)?
Posted by: photoworkplace

Re:12 in G4 Powerbook to iTablet conversion? - 03/27/05 02:38 PM

Hey people No I'm still around
Yes Yes Yes !! A Wacom would have been great but very tuff to do easily I'm working on it, but nothing is fast, cheap or easy. No the touch screen is not such a problem, and don't forget for a lot of folder manipulation, or editing and viewing photos which is what I do, I can get by using my finger. As far as writing if I keep the inkwell input window at the bottom of the screen my arm resting on the screen is not a problem.

Re:12 in G4 Powerbook to iTablet conversion? - 03/27/05 02:43 PM

Sorry I forgot
No I don't like convertibles If you're going to do it, go with a straight Slate design. If you really need a keyboard there're are a couple of foldable Bluetooth models out there that you could use.
Posted by: whitlock

Re:12 in G4 Powerbook to iTablet conversion? - 03/28/05 01:20 AM

Good idea keeping the Inkwell in a sepperate area. It's almost setup like a PDA wink

Re:12 in G4 Powerbook to iTablet conversion? - 03/28/05 01:45 AM

Make no mistake it's enough to get by
Is it perfect no
Could Apple do it better YES
I am still waiting !! And would buy one in a second.
Posted by: WurdBendur

Re:12 in G4 Powerbook to iTablet conversion? - 03/31/05 12:56 PM

I'm looking into the idea with the Wacom tablet. My only concern is whether the tablet will recognize the pen with the screen in the way.
Also see this thread for specifics. I don't have much worked out yet, and I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Re:12 in G4 Powerbook to iTablet conversion? - 03/31/05 06:49 PM

Kids I put the screen at .218"
Forgive me but did Wacom come out with a 12.1" screen?
And no I do not think there is that much metal in an LCD screen.
Wacom "tunes" there tablets to different thickness. They also map out interference from the surrounding shell and electronics.
You will definitely want to use an overlay on the screen. Thin plexy or Lucite, but believe it or not glass could also be used.
Posted by: WurdBendur

Re:12 in G4 Powerbook to iTablet conversion? - 04/01/05 01:59 AM

Thank you. This is very encouraging.
I know there isn't a tablet that matches the screen size exactly. The closest I can find is 12 x 9 (a little big), but as long as that fits in the case it'll be fine. It's easy enough to limit the useable area of the tablet to fit just the part that's behind the screen.