[ul]
[*]800 Mhz G4 processor (133 Mhz FSB).
[*]640 Mb DDR333 SDRAM.
[*]60 Gb HD@4200 rpm.
[*]Bluetooth and Airport Express
[/ul]

I'm planning to do the following to my nearly 1 year old iBook:
[ul]
[*]Change Hard Drive. The New One will be a 60 Gb @ 7200 rpm or a 100 Gb @ 5400 rpm.
[*]Overclock the processor as much as possible within stability limits.
[/ul]

The reason for this post is to ask everyone its opinion on which HD to install and to know if anyone has any info about the iBook PLL resistors and its location in the iBook logic board, because they are responsible of the multiplier applied to the processor, and so of its running speed.
Knowing that the processor is the same used in powerbooks of a year ago, I think it would be possible to clock it up to 1 Ghz without much problems.
The cooling capabilities of my iBook in particular seems good, because I've heard the cooling fan only a couple of times, and as I have installed "Temperature Monitor", I know that the idle temp stays in its 30 degrees celsius, while at full load it is no higher that 60 degrees celsius without fan, staying in 45-50 c when the fan spins up.

Thanks for, at least, reading it...
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:iBook G4 OVERCLOCKING - 02/01/05 11:23 PM

personally I would go with a 5400rpm drive so that the laptop can still get a decent battery life. That is, unless you are using it for video editing or something that demands high HD speeds.
Posted by: krusher117

Re:iBook G4 OVERCLOCKING - 02/02/05 02:21 AM

It looks like your iBook has a 750FX processor so you can overclock it via software (kernal patching) using a program called icook (http://www.swieskowski.net/icook/). Just verify before installing that program that you do have a 750FX because it won't work on any other PowerPC processor.
Posted by: netjosh_granada

Re:iBook G4 OVERCLOCKING - 02/02/05 06:54 AM

This program only works with the ibook g3 from 2002. My iBook is a G4 one, and I think the processor model is a 7455A, which is pretty overclockable, because it has been shipped in the PowerBooks 17" at 1.2 Ghz.

But thanks for the info on this software.