Need help obtaining technical data on G4 500Mhz

Posted by: mpayne97

Need help obtaining technical data on G4 500Mhz - 01/18/05 12:56 AM

Hello.

Im new to this forum, but Ive been investigating this problem a while. I have an old PB G4 500MHz where the motherboard is dead, with a Samsung oem screen known as: LTN152W1, that I have tested on another PB G4 and it works. Im in need of the pinout details on the cable that goes from the motherboard of the PB to the PB screen. I want to use that screen to a different video source, and Im obtaining a a/d vga controller card, which can control the LCD, but then I need to know the signaling system. Im also wondering what video signals that would be going through this cable, could it be compliant with the dvi-d signal?

Post edited by: mpayne97, at: 2005/01/18 09:06

Re:Need help obtaining technical data on G4 500Mhz - 01/18/05 01:07 AM

Ive also got a picture.
Posted by: maestro

Re:Need help obtaining technical data on G4 500Mhz - 01/18/05 01:19 AM

You are going to need a power source too. Don't know the pinouts though.
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:Need help obtaining technical data on G4 500Mhz - 01/18/05 02:57 AM

have you scoured Samsung's site for this information? Have you tried to contact them?

Do, you have a broken laptop with a good screen on it, and you are taking the screen for another purpose? What will you be doing with the powerbook and parts? You stated that it was an OEM Samsung LCD. Was this already on the powerbook, or did you purchase it for the powerbook?

Since the LCD works on other powerbooks, then I am assuming that the pin configuration on this OEM Samsung is the same as the stock powerbook LCD. If this is the case, why not have a look at some repair guides. Here is a good place to start...

http://www.pbfixit.com/Guide/

also, have a look in the web links section of this site. There are some great sources there as well. Best of luck, keep us posted.

Re:Need help obtaining technical data on G4 500Mhz - 01/21/05 08:46 PM

Its the standard screen that comes with the 15.2" powerbook (in this case a 500mhz pbg4)s. The reason I have this is that the main board (motherboard) is dead. So Ive scraped most of the units inside the pb except the seperate power to the screen, the screen and some of the chassis. The disc, the dvd, battery a.s.o. have been given away.
Im really desperate at getting the pinout information on this cable and if someone have any information to share but hesitate to bpublish it on a forum, please contact me on mpayne97 ( A T ) gmail.com

Yes Ive searched the samsung site, and theres is no offical way as I can see to any detailed technical info to their sites...Ive also googled for the last 18 months....so Im on the last stop now....

Post edited by: mpayne97, at: 2005/01/22 04:55
Posted by: maestro

Re:Need help obtaining technical data on G4 500Mhz - 01/21/05 09:07 PM

Did you try http://www.whoopis.com. They have g4 powerbook take aparts there. They are in the lower left corner (Apple guides).
-Maestro

Re:Need help obtaining technical data on G4 500Mhz - 01/22/05 02:09 AM

It took me a step further. The cable that samsung/apple uses between PB and LCD is called a lvds cable. U also have a inverter and an power connector. Im very interested in the pinout information on the lvds cabl. Preferably in the terms of the tmds standard found here: http://www.ddwg.org/data/dvi_10.pdf
What Im hoping for is that it would corespond to something like the pinout information on the dvi standard, forund here: http://www.hardwarebook.net/connector/av/dvi.html

Re:Need help obtaining technical data on G4 500Mhz - 01/22/05 04:07 AM

I know that you may not be the answer that you are looking for, but what about taking some wire and testing out the pin configuration. Did you say that this is for power? Or is this for the video signal. If this is for the power, I wouldn't do that, unless you are sure of the ground, then maybe, but I would be careful. However, if this is for the video signal. I wouldn't THINK that there would be anything wrong with testing it.

Re:Need help obtaining technical data on G4 500Mhz - 01/22/05 04:08 AM

I know that you may not be the answer that you are looking for, but what about taking some wire and testing out the pin configuration. Did you say that this is for power? Or is this for the video signal. If this is for the power, I wouldn't do that, unless you are sure of the ground, then maybe, but I would be careful. However, if this is for the video signal. I wouldn't THINK that there would be anything wrong with testing it.

Re:Need help obtaining technical data on G4 500Mhz - 01/23/05 11:20 AM

I cant try one and one pin, since the data thats transmitted is not on/off, but high-speed serial data. If Im to try it something like that, Id need a video generator to generate correct datastreams to the lcd.
The only thing I really need is the pinout details to the lcd screen's lvds cable.