Seeking PowerBook G4 (7455) overclocking info

Posted by: boodle

Seeking PowerBook G4 (7455) overclocking info - 07/28/04 04:17 PM

I know I'd be insane to try it, but might anyone know how to locate the PLL resistors on a Titanium PowerBook G4 1GHz? I've disassembled the machine but have been unsuccessful in locating the appropriate area on the logic board.

I've reviewed Motorola's PowerPC 7455 documentation but it didn't provide any assistance in locating the clock: http://e-www.motorola.com/files/32bit/doc/data_sheet/MPC7455EC.pdf

I've also reviewed Marc Schrier's excellent page on overclocking a Dual Quicksilver 1Ghz: http://homepage.mac.com/schrier/pmg4_1000_1200.html

I was successful in overclocking my Pismo years ago and, more recently, my G4 Cube. Yes, I know, 1066MHz or 1200MHz will likely cook the machine immediately. Call me crazy.

Thanks!

Post edited by: boodle, at: 2004/07/28 17:51

Re:Seeking PowerBook G4 (7455) overclocking info - 07/28/04 04:19 PM

I've found a site in Japanese which once detailed overclocking a PowerBook G4 800Mhz to 866Mhz. This would be valuable info but the page seems to be missing: http://village.infoweb.ne.jp/~fwid8843/NewPBG4/NewPBG4.html

Doing a search for "PLL" or "866" in his weblog yields additional info on the jumper settings, but I can't read Japanese, unfortunately: http://village.infoweb.ne.jp/~fwid8843/index/diary.cgi

I'm game for trying to do a traceback using the processor specs as a guide, but I'm not sure where to start.

Also took a look at http://www.voelker.com/service/void.php, but the 1GHz and 500MHz logic boards are significantly different.

Post edited by: boodle, at: 2004/07/28 16:25

Re:Seeking PowerBook G4 (7455) overclocking info - 07/28/04 04:20 PM

I think this might be the area in which the clock and bus speed resistors are located. Can anyone confirm? This is a photo of the top left corner with the bottom case removed.

Post edited by: boodle, at: 2004/07/28 17:42
Posted by: whitlock

Re:Seeking PowerBook G4 (7455) overclocking info - 07/28/04 04:48 PM

can you get a shot of the upper-left side of the board (from the perspective of sitting in front of it)?

Re:Seeking PowerBook G4 (7455) overclocking info - 07/28/04 05:47 PM

Sure thing. I'll document the entire logic board when I take it apart next time.

Re:Seeking PowerBook G4 (7455) overclocking info - 07/28/04 07:42 PM

i saw some shots for an older 500mhz g4 powerbook, but the design is different enough to need another look. everything is paired up. unfortunatly it looks like the right area, but without the whole layout, it can be difficult. i'm glad you are going all the way and overclocking your powerbook. very few people would do that, and that's dedication. looking foward to seeing the pic(s)
Posted by: KnifeLord

Re:Seeking PowerBook G4 (7455) overclocking info - 07/28/04 09:48 PM

I don't know if this will help or not, but Sherlock has a language converter, useing C/P (Command C, Command V) you can take each paragraph out of the Japenese website, and convert it roughly to english. It should give the help you need....

Tho you might have already done this... GOOD LUCK!

Re:Seeking PowerBook G4 (7455) overclocking info - 08/12/04 08:12 PM

Hot off the presses! :ohmy:

"Here an article which will explain you how overclock a Titanium DVI. You will also see how increasing the voltage to improve stability."

Original article in French:
http://mackmania.free.fr/articles.php?article=11

Google translation to English:
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=...Flanguage_tools

I may give this a whirl tonight.

Post edited by: oojacoboo, at: 2004/08/13 04:42

Re:Seeking PowerBook G4 (7455) overclocking info - 08/13/04 03:17 AM

this user deserves some major karma points for that one!

Re:Seeking PowerBook G4 (7455) overclocking info - 08/16/04 07:40 AM

Thanks for the karma, whitlock. smile

First, the good news: the PLL clock table is correct. sysctl hw.frequency will give me the correct number after a power manager reset. Currently at 1.13GHz.

Now the bad news: soldering the voltage control is very touchy. I'm currently getting inconsistent readings from 1.22v to 1.52v. This may have something to do with the L2 cache being permanently disabled. The machine is now in "low power" mode for some reason. What does this mean for our hero? Well, it means his 1GHz Titanium with 1MB of L2 cache is now stuck at 667MHz with no L2 cache. Not exactly what I had in mind. Hopefully, this is a simple case of me screwing something up with the voltage soldering and not an issue with the mod instructions. I've tried various iterations of both the clock and the voltage control but nothing seems to bring back the L2. frown

Be warned! This is a very difficult mod and should not be taken lightly!

P.S. Most of the voltage control resistors are 470k ohms.

Post edited by: boodle, at: 2004/08/16 10:41

Re:Seeking PowerBook G4 (7455) overclocking info - 08/16/04 07:45 AM

UPDATE! After more monkeying, the L2 is back in action with an extra 130MHz backing it up! w00t!

Here's a CPU test from Xbench 1.1.3 after the mod:

Post edited by: boodle, at: 2004/08/16 10:58

Re:Seeking PowerBook G4 (7455) overclocking info - 08/16/04 07:46 AM

The same Titanium tested @ 1.0GHz before the mod:

Post edited by: boodle, at: 2004/08/16 11:00

Re:Seeking PowerBook G4 (7455) overclocking info - 08/16/04 10:40 AM

As noted in the mod guide, it seems at least one fan is constantly on now which is a bit of a bummer 'cause I like it quiet.

Note: If you try this mod be wary of solid kernel panics on restart after messing with the clock or voltage. This is not necessarily bad! If your machine panics due to a bad setting or bad weld it may corrupt some volume information on your drive. I was able repair it with DiskWarrior 3.0.2 and continue testing other settings.

Post edited by: boodle, at: 2004/08/16 10:57
Posted by: krusher117

Re:Seeking PowerBook G4 (7455) overclocking info - 08/16/04 01:02 PM

laugh very cool. You've gained some significant performance from the looks of the benchmarks. Is it noticeable? Does you computer generate too much heat now?
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:Seeking PowerBook G4 (7455) overclocking info - 08/16/04 02:34 PM

I am afraid that is one mod that I would never attempy wink . But I must say, that kicks ass! Congrats. Did you take pictures and what not? Are you planning on submitting this in the mod challenge? I hope so, it sounds great.

Cheers.

Re:Seeking PowerBook G4 (7455) overclocking info - 08/16/04 04:47 PM

krusher117 wrote:
Quote:
laugh very cool. You've gained some significant performance from the looks of the benchmarks. Is it noticeable? Does you computer generate too much heat now?

It's not that noticable in everyday use, but qualifies as that "extra oomph". CPU-bound games definitely show increased responsiveness. I've reactivated journaling on the main partition and can no longer tell the difference between having it off or on (like I could when @1.0GHz).

It doesn't seem any hotter but, like I said, at least one fan is constantly on making it almost as loud as this silly Vaio sitting next to me.

Re:Seeking PowerBook G4 (7455) overclocking info - 08/16/04 04:51 PM

oojacoboo wrote:
Quote:
I am afraid that is one mod that I would never attempy wink . But I must say, that kicks ass! Congrats. Did you take pictures and what not? Are you planning on submitting this in the mod challenge? I hope so, it sounds great.

Thanks! I was hoping to be the first to get the Titanium DVI overclocked but since someone else beat me to it I'll leave it to them to submit the guide. I may post additional pictures, though.

I plan on entering a case mod in the challenge provided I can get the documentation together before leaving for the desert. smile
Posted by: orcinus

Re:Seeking PowerBook G4 (7455) overclocking info - 09/08/04 11:42 PM

Phew!

My Titanium 867 is finally overclocked to 1.2GHz and working... Oh, and hello everyone, i'm new here smile

Complete history goes like this:
I configured the PLL for 1.13 GHz, rebooted and... things started getting wee bit weird and i freaked out. The fans WOULDN'T COME ON as much as usual, bottom was rather cool (under low CPU utilisation, ofcourse) etc. CPU Director kept reporting 333 MHz so i thought i may have accidentaly screwed up the soldering and downclocked my pbook. Then again, i thought, you can't downclock this titanium that low and fired up XBench.
Turns out my overclocking actually worked (136 points on CPU)!!!
Either there's something really wrong with my particular machine, or everyone's overreacting about heat issues, or... well, it turned out i DID make an error with my soldering work - i accidentally soldered bit no. 2 closed on position "1" instead of unsoldering all the bit 2 leads... I doubt that'd made it behave differently, though...

Anywho, i decided i had my share of soldering 1mm SMD bugs with a 4mm chisel tipped gas iron and caffeine/sleep-deprived shaky hands
for a while, so i reverted to some less demanding work - installing a new 80GB / 8MB cache / 5krpm Hitachi drive, cleaning up the pbooks internals, sucking up a few keys with a vacuum cleaner and having to dig through the dust bag :x
did i mention trying to make a hard drive image with ASR to my PC over SMB work?

Later on, armed with a new 1mm pointed soldering tip (smallest they had), some more caffeine and a cut finger, i decided to do the last step - overclocking to 1.2GHz. Some minutes of really ugly and dirty work later (new tip kept oxidizing and eating up the solder from the SMD pads), i gathered my hopes and fired the machine up and - it started booting... and died... and booted again... and froze...
Bumping the voltage up to 1.4V seemed like a right thing to do (i justified the decision by telling myself i reached the point-of-no-return). So i did some more uglIER and dirtIER work with capital IER. Among other "minor inconviniences" that happened to me are the unfortunate catapulting of SMD resistor with tweezers, getting the forementioned SMD stuck behind the combo drive ribbon cable and having to search for it with a loupe, almost frying half of the surrounding components etc.

Finally, i booted up and ran Xbench. Results:
CPU Test - 147.04
Overall score - 117.38

CPU Director reports 1.2 GHz, sysctl says 766 MHz (unless i tweak the variables in Open Firmware by hand).
The first fan fires up after about 20-30 minutes of idle run, second one kicks in only under full CPU utilization.
Everything seems to be (*knock* *knock* *knock*) rock solid and stabile for now.

End of (hi)story, thanks for listening...

Ante Vukorepa

PS: Please excuse any/all spelling/grammar/vocab errors and confused train of thought. English isn't my native language and my train of thought currently is confused.

Re:Seeking PowerBook G4 (7455) overclocking info - 09/09/04 02:14 AM

Good job on the mod, as my hands are too shakey naturally to do that kind of mod.

You should post some pictures up if you have the time and a mod guide for your paticular PowerBook, so others will not make the same blunders while modding. I bet a lot of people who have the hands to sauder that close would like to know which angles to approach the best and hand wrests.

As for your English, it's just fine.

And as a final note, are you planning any additional mods to your PowerBook?

Re:Seeking PowerBook G4 (7455) overclocking info - 09/10/04 12:35 PM

Thanx! My hands get proportionally more shaky the more expensive the equipment i'm working with is smile
I'll try and make some photos / write something up as soon as i get better (i got a bit sick since yesterday) and catch some time.

About additional mods: yes, i'd like to do some more stuff with my powerbook in the near future... First of all, i'm trying to find some 512MB SDRAM SO-DIMM's so i can bump up my RAM to 1GB... I know that doesn't account as much of a mod, but i need the added 512MB because things in Photoshop are getting a bit too slow for my taste.
Further down the line, i think i'll try looking into doing a paint job on the titanium - i always thought black top and bottom would go nicely with the standard white apple logo and middle "stripe". Kinda like the old lombards (i always found them cooler looking than titaniums). If the black paintjob could be made glossy as well, that'd be really cool! But, at the moment, i don't have a clue as to doing it - what kind of paint, where to get it, would it require taking of the original paint and primer and applying new one, how to do that... If anyone has any ideas, please yell...

Also, there's one more thing concerning the white sleep LED on my wishlist. Apparently, the LED's behaviour is fully customizable and controllable via software! There's a patch for linux kernel that enables it to use the LED as a hard drive activity indicator. So far, i haven't found anyone who'd know anything about ways of implementing a similar feature in OS X (not necesserilly just HDD activity - new e-mails, CPU activity, battery power, there's a lot of things you could use the LED for), and i was too lazy to look into it myself... I thought maybe an easier approach could be a hardware one - soldering a wire to the appropriate pin on the IDE connector and getting the signal to the LED somehow (AFAIK something in/around the PMU drives it). You could probably leave the original connection in place because PMU keeps the LED off except when in sleep, and since HDD doesn't do anything while the pbook is sleeping, there "should" be no ill effects (short circuit, overcurrent?).

Ante Vukorepa

PS: Sorry for lenghty posts... smile

Re:Seeking PowerBook G4 (7455) overclocking info - 09/10/04 12:39 PM

Oh, one more thing... Does anyone have a clue if overclocking titanium's bus freq is possible? Bumping up the fsb a bit (most PC133 SDRAM DIMM's can handle it) could lead to more significant performance gains...

Ante Vukorepa
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:Seeking PowerBook G4 (7455) overclocking info - 09/10/04 07:21 PM

orcinus, take a look at the mod techniques section of the mod guides. There is a painting guide that will tell you just about everything that you need to know. wink
Posted by: modyourmac

Re:Seeking PowerBook G4 (7455) overclocking info - 09/10/04 07:24 PM

hey man, my painting guide just makes the machines look faster. I make no promises or guarantees that your machine will actually BE faster wink

Re:Seeking PowerBook G4 (7455) overclocking info - 09/11/04 02:09 PM

oojacoboo wrote:
Quote:
orcinus, take a look at the mod techniques section of the mod guides. There is a painting guide that will tell you just about everything that you need to know. wink

Yeah, i saw the guide (really nicely put together, btw), but i'm not sure how much of the needed tools/supplies i could find/get... (especially since i don't live in USA so all the product names probably don't apply)

Also, i'm not sure if things'd be that easy with titanium (AFAIK, you need a special primer to make the paintjob stick, and i don't know if it's safe to just sand down the old primer/paint)...

I think i'll ask around a bit first to see if anyone knows someone professional with the right tools/experience to do something like that, before i look into trying it myself.

Ante

Post edited by: orcinus, at: 2004/09/11 21:12
Posted by: maestro

Re:Seeking PowerBook G4 (7455) overclocking info - 01/06/05 08:22 PM

Newer powerbooks run so hot already, oc'ing them is so risky. Look at the heatsink on a powermac g4 1.25, now look at your powerbook. Funny thought huh. I am really curious to know if you got it worked out or not. Hope so.

-Maestro