Need to kill Caps Lock light

Posted by: hazmat

Need to kill Caps Lock light - 06/14/04 08:46 PM

I am hopefully getting a 12" PowerBook soon and will need to kill the Caps Lock light. I always remap Caps Lock to Control, and with the ABD keyboard in the laptops, it seems the only way to do this is with uControl. Only problem here is that there doesn't seem to be anything to kill the light from toggling with the key, even though it's always Control.

Anyone know how I can kill the light under the key? I wouldn't want to hurt anything.

Thanks.
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:Need to kill Caps Lock light - 06/15/04 12:31 AM

You might try taking the key off of the keyboard and seeing if there is a wire. If so you could detach that. If not maybe you can use a piece of tape or something on the underside. Not too sure what the underside of the keyboard looks like. I got a powerbook myself, and I can't really figure out how to get the key up, like I could on the ibook. Let us know what you find out.

Re:Need to kill Caps Lock light - 06/15/04 05:36 AM

Well see that's the thing. I don't feel like screwing up a brand new machine if I don't know what something will do, you know?

Re:Need to kill Caps Lock light - 06/15/04 06:14 AM

O I know what you mean, but chances are you are one of the first if not the first to attempt this. Someone has to try it first. Why don't you see if you can find a build guide on the powerbook and see if there are some instructions on how to take off the keyboard. However, I think that it is really integrated and you are going to have a really really hard time with it. You might be able to find some sort of firmware hack or something, but I doubt anyone has done this. Doesn't seem like a very popular thing to do. Whats wrong with the light though? Why not have it?

Re:Need to kill Caps Lock light - 06/15/04 06:19 AM

Actually I just looked again and I was able to lift mine up enough to get a nice look under it. Looks like there is a little light under there that is shining through the hole and around the key a little. You could take a piece of black electrical tape and put it on the end of a paperclip, very carefully, slowly put it down ontop of the light. After you got it alligned with the paperclip, come back with a knife or a small screwdriver and make sure that it is on there tight enough. There might be a way to get this key off. I was looking and there seems to be some sort of clip in there that looks like it could be slid out of place with a paperclip or something. Maybe try those methods. Let me know how you come out.
Posted by: whitlock

Re:Need to kill Caps Lock light - 06/15/04 07:19 AM

i was also about to sugg. the electrical tape. lol

Re:Need to kill Caps Lock light - 06/15/04 07:43 AM

Thanks, guys. Yeah, I'm looking around now for some docs on removing the key caps so I can look underneath and just put some tape to block the light. I would think it's something basically like prying up the key cap and just popping it off, but I need to find exactly instructions. Anyone know? I don't see anything about it at Apple's site.

Btw, the problem with the light is that that key is now Control, not Caps Lock. Even though the key itself works as Control, the light will still go on and off every time you hit it. I don't want that.
Posted by: KnifeLord

Re:Need to kill Caps Lock light - 07/28/04 10:10 PM

One time when one of my friends was messing w/ my computer, he broke off one of the keys, it attached back fine, basically you could pop it off (pocket knife???) and put tape on the little clip that holds it in place. It should work. I would sugest "gaffers tape" rather than electrical, its a little thicker (black ducktape type stuff...) and it should blank out the light. But if its an LED, you could just take it out and put on a simple wire in its place. (ps to take leds off see the Red to blue mouse page, i forgot what its called...)

-Knife
Posted by: krusher117

Re:Need to kill Caps Lock light - 07/28/04 10:14 PM

Red to Blue Mouse Mod

http://www.macmod.com/content/view/30/2/

Re:Need to kill Caps Lock light - 07/28/04 10:49 PM

Ok i was bored so i poped up my caps lock key from the front.... it appears to be an led, but you would have to open the comp all up to remove it, i sugest just pulling the key up, (FROM THE FRONT, APPERENTLY APPLE THOUGHT PPL WOULD WANT TO OPEN THE CAPS LOCK KEY< SO THEY MADE IT TO OPEN FROM THE FRONT...) and put a small peice of tape over the little thing with the marker cercle over it. then close. like i said get a small peice of gaffers tape... and press the button down hard after repair... enjoy.

-Knife

Re:Need to kill Caps Lock light - 07/28/04 10:53 PM

Knifelord do you have a pic showing where to pry from?

Re:Need to kill Caps Lock light - 07/28/04 10:56 PM

no, but i will make one, except my digi cam is at my sisters. if you know how i can take a snap shot that will be big enough with my iSight, i would be glad to take a few.

-Knife

Re:Need to kill Caps Lock light - 07/28/04 11:40 PM

ok i took some snapshots w/ my iSight in iChat AV, and found the file where they are stored... so here they are... (given each indavigally...)

First, The front view of the caps lock key...

Post edited by: KnifeLord, at: 2004/07/28 23:46

Re:Need to kill Caps Lock light - 07/28/04 11:48 PM

This is the caps lock key from the front, it is in PNG format cause this website doesnt let me use jpg... idk if it will work...

Re:Need to kill Caps Lock light - 07/28/04 11:49 PM

This is the caps lock key from the front, it is in PNG format cause this website doesnt let me use jpg... idk if it will work...

Re:Need to kill Caps Lock light - 07/28/04 11:50 PM

It wont let me upload the pics so if you want them you can email me at, KnifeLordV@netscape.net, i can send them to you via email...

-Knife

Re:Need to kill Caps Lock light - 07/29/04 12:48 AM

does it give you a 'picture over 499 pixels' error? If you edit your post and try again and it gives you the error again, its won't even display the attach image option for the 3rd and subsequent tries. Solution is make your image smaller, delete the post and start over. Sorry but thats how it works :dry:

Post edited by: krusher117, at: 2004/07/29 00:48

Re:Need to kill Caps Lock light - 07/29/04 12:53 AM

I think it is cause i am useing safari... but i could be wrong...

-Knife

Re:Need to kill Caps Lock light - 07/29/04 12:56 AM

only the wsywig editor on news and guide submission is incompat with safari. Send me the pics if and I'll post em up for you.

anthony @ macmod.com

Re:Need to kill Caps Lock light - 07/29/04 01:12 AM

Caps lock key on
By KnifeLord

Post edited by: krusher117, at: 2004/07/29 01:12

Post edited by: krusher117, at: 2004/07/29 01:13

Re:Need to kill Caps Lock light - 07/29/04 01:13 AM

Caps lock key off
by KnifeLord

Re:Need to kill Caps Lock light - 07/29/04 01:14 AM

the name of the file can not contain symbols or spaces. I think thats the prob

Re:Need to kill Caps Lock light - 07/29/04 01:15 AM

yeah, that was the prob, but what is it talking about? the name maybe?

Post edited by: KnifeLord, at: 2004/07/29 01:17

Re:Need to kill Caps Lock light - 07/29/04 01:18 AM

This is the first step, listed last of corse lmao...

-knife
Posted by: whitlock

Re:Need to kill Caps Lock light - 07/29/04 01:39 AM

now you break the light out manually with a pen knife

JOKING! Good work B)

Re:Need to kill Caps Lock light - 07/29/04 06:03 PM

nvr mind, i am just going to use the mod info...

Post edited by: KnifeLord, at: 2004/07/29 18:05

Re:Need to kill Caps Lock light - 08/03/04 02:27 PM

Ok, Just wanted everyone to know, I added pics to the "Disabling the light on the Caps Lock Key..." mod. I cheated, but they are still there.

-Knife