Keyboard Upgrade

Posted by: michYankeeFan

Keyboard Upgrade - 06/07/04 10:22 AM

I noticed that there is a mod out there to put a backlit keyboard on an iBook. Is there a way for me to change my keyboard on a 15" G4 PowerBook? I know that the most recent 15" PowerBooks have a backlit keyboard.
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:Keyboard Upgrade - 06/07/04 10:38 AM

Hmmm, I haven't heard anything about that, but it you wanted to do something similar to the ibook I am sure that its possible. Not too sure that the light would shine through as well, but who knows, it may loook better. In order to get the same look as the backlit keyboards, you would have to seriously mod the keyboard. I am not sure that its really worth it, or can even be done to look good. But we would love to see the results. Maybe you can buy a keyboard like the new one and replace it? Not too sure. I will keep and eye out and be sure to post a mod guide if I see anything.
Posted by: krusher117

Re:Keyboard Upgrade - 06/07/04 01:40 PM

I believe the answer to your question is YES if you have the aluminum powerbook and it should look better than the ibook. The iBook keys are translucent with screen printed letters. The Powerbook keys are opaque plastic with laser cut translucent letters. If you were to add fiber optic lighting by following the iBook mod then you would have a backlit keyboard where only the letters show [just like stock]. Also i believe in the top right corner of the casing, there should be a small area of space to hold our fiber optic light source. I'll update this post later with a link to a disassembly of the alum pb.
Posted by: scottk

Re:Keyboard Upgrade - 06/08/04 10:19 PM

But, the "real" backlit keyboards have ambient sensors that change depending on light. I would assume that could not be done as a mod, or could it? I'm just saying that a keyboard that lights up all the time might be overkill.
Posted by: michYankeeFan

Re:Keyboard Upgrade - 06/09/04 02:00 AM

I wonder if I can mod in an on & off switch? Still, it might not be that bad. This is the one mod I really wanted for my PowerBook.
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:Keyboard Upgrade - 06/09/04 02:09 AM

An on/off switch would be killer. That would change everything. I would surly love to see this mod done! Be sure to document and post a mod guide if you do.

Cheers.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re:Keyboard Upgrade - 03/04/05 12:43 PM

I would imagine the process would be the same for a 12", and the only reason I say this is I would gladly trade my 15" PB for a 12" w/ a backlit keyboard. In fact, the backlight was the only reason I went w/ the 15 was because of the keyboard.