Battery Life Extension Mod?

Posted by: mherrman

Battery Life Extension Mod? - 06/04/04 06:34 PM

Once again, greetings all:

Not being a PB owner yet, Im not sure if there would be a way to add more battery life to a PB. MY ideal PB would be the new 1.5Ghz 15inch PB, but cash is a little tight for a bit, so sometime in 04 or 05 hopefully.

Currently Im using an Ibm laptop which is slowly dying, but I like the fact I can put another battery in the ultrabay for more time. Do any 3rd party companies offer one of those "attach on the bottom" batteries which I remember seeing for certain non-apple models? Maybe just one which attached into the power connector in the back. 1/4inch thickness would probably allow one to get another hour or so of battery life.

Once I have a new PB, Ill check into it, I do video editing with FCP and DVDS2, so Id need it in certain cases, airport, train, etc...

mherrman
Posted by: krusher117

Battery Life Extension Mod? -FOUND IT - 06/04/04 06:51 PM

I knew I had seen this at a store before.
http://www.1800mobiles.com/ncharge.html
It'll power just about any laptop, apple included, and at the same time provide power for your cell phone!
Posted by: mherrman

Re:Battery Life Extension Mod? -FOUND IT - 06/04/04 07:26 PM

Cool! Well, for $190, thats a doozy. I think I'd probably rig something up, maybe with a slew of rechargable 1.25v AA batteries. Ill have to look into Vah's to see what kind of times Id need, but looks cool!

mherrman

Re:Battery Life Extension Mod? -FOUND IT - 06/04/04 07:29 PM

That would be an amazing mod. Take 200 AAs and string them together to power your G4 powerbook laugh. If you managed that I guarantee you front page mod of the week !!!!!!
Posted by: karl

Re:Battery Life Extension Mod? -FOUND IT - 06/04/04 09:09 PM

The nCharge sounds like a great product, I went to my local BestBuy and looked at one after hearing about them and would love to get one, just need the $$$. Odd things is though is that they do not recommend sitting your Laptop on top of them, but everyone does. smile
Posted by: chris2x

Re:Battery Life Extension Mod? - 06/04/04 09:17 PM

Does anyone have any experience with using a fuel cell based power supply with a PowerBook?

Those exist? - 06/04/04 10:08 PM

Posted by: scottk

Re:Battery Life Extension Mod? - 06/05/04 05:51 PM

I don't think the technology is quite there yet to make this work. Fuel cell or otherwise. It's in prototype stage. And all the other mods make the powerbooks too big to be practical. Someday, I can only imagine. Like Doc Brown putting garbage in the Delorean smile

Re:Battery Life Extension Mod? - 06/05/04 05:52 PM

Well here's a question .. how many hours of battery life are you thinking would be sufficient? Obviously, forever is a good answer, but I can still get 5 hours and that makes me very happy.

Re:Battery Life Extension Mod? - 06/05/04 08:09 PM

My old toilet seat iBook (Had a blueberry and then had to get the Indigo in the fall) had amazing battery life. I prolly didn't charge more than 2x a week!

Re:Battery Life Extension Mod? - 06/05/04 09:10 PM

Well, sad but true Krusher. More advanced the technology .. something in the end loses out and in this case it's battery life. I try to use a plug, but that's not always practical. 6 hours is really a neccessity.
Posted by: mark

Re:Battery Life Extension Mod? -FOUND IT - 06/06/04 12:49 AM

mherrman wrote:
Quote:
I think I'd probably rig something up, maybe with a slew of rechargable 1.25v AA batteries.

A hint from someone that's killed an old 'book that way - watch the current and take the time to add a fuse and some resistors. The minute you ignore ohms law on this type of mod is the minute you're 'book dies.

If you want to travel with a battery like this, individual cells can look bad in an x-ray machine. I occasionally read wearable computing forums and there's always a story or two about a guy being pulled aside and asked about battery packs. In those cases a pre made pack like a larger cell phone battery or some camcorder batteries are a lot easier to explain than a box load of AA's Plus those tend to be Lith-Ion, which should give you a higher Ah rating for the size than NiCd or NiMH
Posted by: DaleCo2k

Re:Battery Life Extension Mod? -FOUND IT - 06/06/04 05:41 AM

I agree with Mark. I was just completed my senior design project and we started using rechargable AAs and they died continuously but we finnaly chose some JVC camcorder batteries that lasted alot longer and had a much more stable voltage.
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:Battery Life Extension Mod? - 06/06/04 05:54 AM

Yea, that will be the day, when you can go without having to find a plug to charge your laptop. What if you are on a pack trip on a trail for a couple of months and wanted to watch movies at night. There should be some sort of fuel cell adapter for this kind of need. I know that I have seen solar panels for this type thing, but who is going to take the time to sit that out to get a charge? There has to be something out there!

Re:Battery Life Extension Mod? - 06/06/04 01:28 PM

I think the future of laptop power is solar panels. Charges from the sun, stores the energy. Instant power.

Re:Battery Life Extension Mod? - 06/06/04 04:36 PM

I have a group of friends that are working on thier senior design project and are creating a generator that can charge batteries while hiking. It kindof works like the forever watches that get powered by the kinetic energy of you walking. Now that is a cool idea for powering a wearable computer.

Re:Battery Life Extension Mod? - 06/06/04 04:54 PM

Now that would be awesome. I think if they were able to invent that they would be millionaires overnight.
Posted by: elakazal

Re:Battery Life Extension Mod? -FOUND IT - 06/06/04 09:13 PM

"That would be an amazing mod. Take 200 AAs and string them together to power your G4 powerbook . If you managed that I guarantee you front page mod of the week !!!!!!"

(I apparently am an idiot...I can't figure out how to use the 'quote' function... May be because I'm using an ancient browser)

Actually, the AA battery idea isn't so far fetched. I haven't opened up an recent laptop batteries, but I can attest that at least the PowerBook 5300 and the Newton MP 2000 all use standard rechargeable AA cells in the batteries. I know this is the case for many PC laptop batteries as well. Replacing the cells in my Newton battery gave it life again, albeit an unimpressive amount of life, in part because I used really cheap rechargeables.

Anybody here open up an iBook battery? If it's readily done, I'd like to re-cell my dead one.

Re:Battery Life Extension Mod? -FOUND IT - 06/06/04 10:34 PM

elakazal wrote:
Quote:
"I haven't opened up an recent laptop batteries, but I can attest that at least the PowerBook 5300 and the Newton MP 2000 all use standard rechargeable AA cells in the batteries.

They may look like they are standard AA cells but that is only because they are the same size. The internal structure is most likely quite different.

Re:Battery Life Extension Mod? -FOUND IT - 06/07/04 12:56 AM

I could not figure out how to open up one of the ibook batteries for the clamshell. I ended up spending $90 and getting a new one.

And now the darn thing has a motherboard problem and it won't charge.

It just never ends.
Posted by: elakazal

Re:Battery Life Extension Mod? -FOUND IT - 06/07/04 04:38 AM

Quote:
They may look like they are standard AA cells but that is only because they are the same size. The
internal structure is most likely quite different.

Nah, I'm pretty sure they're basically just rechargeable AA's when it comes right down to it. I've successfully replaced the stock cells with actual rechargeable AA's, and I've seen websites illustrating the same for various laptop batteries. There may be some obscure difference, but if AA's work, then they're the same by me. If it quacks like a duck, then it probably is.

Re:Battery Life Extension Mod? -FOUND IT - 06/09/04 08:16 AM

elakazal wrote:
Quote:

Actually, the AA battery idea isn't so far fetched. I haven't opened up an recent laptop batteries, but I can attest that at least the PowerBook 5300 and the Newton MP 2000 all use standard rechargeable AA cells in the batteries. I know this is the case for many PC laptop batteries as well. Replacing the cells in my Newton battery gave it life again, albeit an unimpressive amount of life, in part because I used really cheap rechargeables.

Most battery packs use standard cells, its just some are more standard than others. best thing to have for a recelling is a good ruler and a copy of the Digi-Key catalog.

Quote:
Anybody here open up an iBook battery? If it's readily done, I'd like to re-cell my dead one.

I think it has but I don't know where I've seen it. Get a good sharp xacto knife and run it around any seams you find. With luck that should break the ultrasonic welds and give you access to the cells. At least thats always been the general rule of thumb for recelling.
Posted by: Woodpecker

Re:Battery Life Extension Mod? -FOUND IT - 06/14/04 06:47 AM

I'd love to "re-cell" one of my Pismo batteries, but I will most likely by an aftermarket "extended Life" batt. Two actually that is one of the cool things about the "Pismo" you can remove the drive bay and install a second Batt. I will run that "Pismo" until it melts great machine, I have a DVD drive, a Zip drive, and a floppy drive for it. Here is the cool thing I found a web page that talks about moding a Dell combo drive to fit in the Apple removable bay, if I go down that road I will keep you posted.

The Pecker

Post edited by: woodpecker, at: 2004/06/14 19:42
Posted by: whitlock

Re:Battery Life Extension Mod? -FOUND IT - 06/14/04 11:18 AM

the pismos were completely different. they are your more modern design. they are much too light to be like the 5300 and other older batteries. the pismo is just too nice. i'd go down to the local battery store and see if they have the appropraite cells there.

Re:Battery Life Extension Mod? -FOUND IT - 06/15/04 08:49 AM

You need to be sure to get exactly the same cells if you're recelling a lith-ion battery. There's some electronics in there that won't play nice with cells that aren't exactly the same as the stock ones. Tho' if you want your system to melt...

Re:Battery Life Extension Mod? -FOUND IT - 06/15/04 04:33 PM

yes. if you use the wrong ANYTHING, it will just fry either the power management unit, or the battery itself. luckly the pmu can be had from a scrap pismo to just above $100. you have to remove all of the plastics on it to acheive that one. i've replaced about 7 of them. can't remember exactly, but that's about right. when playing with non-approved equipment, always match, like anything electronic.

as for ibooks, havn't seen a recell on that, but it doesn't mean someone hasn't tried it. i'll look around.

Re:Battery Life Extension Mod? -FOUND IT - 06/15/04 04:38 PM

well, here are the cells:
http://www.techfreakz.org/pcgabp52/?slide=21

unfortunatly, i am at work and the firewall blocked it (BLAST!)

for any other info, try :
http://www.dragonsoftware.co.uk/sleepcentre/threads/f915b46da6c77fa39cb7d7b665f2f260.html
Posted by: karl

Re:Battery Life Extension Mod? -FOUND IT - 06/23/04 09:31 AM

Fuel Cells on a Laptop. This could be interesting.
[url]http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,116591,00.asp[/url}

Post edited by: Karl, at: 2004/06/23 12:33
Posted by: ubergeek89

Re:Battery Life Extension Mod? -FOUND IT - 02/28/05 03:05 PM

scottk wrote:
Quote:
I could not figure out how to open up one of the ibook batteries for the clamshell. I ended up spending $90 and getting a new one.

And now the darn thing has a motherboard problem and it won't charge.

It just never ends.

What you have is a dead PMU/Charge board (a small board located on the front left of the iBook that controls charging) a simple fix (may not work but its worth a shot) to this could be a PMU reset on the clamshell, above the power button where it slands down by the display hinge, there is a small button. remove your battery and power supple, wait a few seconds, press this button with a paperclip, wait 5 seconds till you re install your battery and power supply and it should work, if not start hitting ebay.
Posted by: dead13

Re:Battery Life Extension Mod? -FOUND IT - 04/03/05 02:47 PM

i just opened up my old ibook battery from the top and the cells look like 2 aa batteries wrapped together there are 6 of them if youu want a pic or part # on the cells i'd be happy to send them.