On the journey to an "epic" macbook!

Posted by: Adam The ~Geek~

On the journey to an "epic" macbook! - 09/01/08 05:04 PM

so, i have had this idea for a while now and i have thought everything through all the way. I have looked at every possible thing, and it is ready to go! So here is my idea.....

I am going to start out by making all of the external parts carbon fiber. No not real carbon fiber, carbon fiber sheets.(and no not the apple logo, you will see what i will do with that later. i am also going to do the palm rest area carbon fiber and the screen bezel. so basically everything except the keyboard, apple logo, screen, and trackpad.

Now for the keyboard, i want to dye the keys a red color so that you can still see the factory printed letters. If this does not work than i am going to make all of the keys with actual letters on them (a-z) white, and the rest black. (white and black both from stock macbooks, not painting the original ones.

last but not least, i am going to do 1 of 2 things to the logo, i will see later into the project. I am either going to make it straight red, or the old colored logo with all of the colors.

Now i would like to hear input from everyone that reads this. Tell me what you like/dislike. What ideas you have and such. And PLEASE, if you have any parts (case or anything) to a macbook, please help me out and donate them. i will pay the shipping, i would buy them, but i have NO extra cash, barely enough for the material itself.

adam
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re: On the journey to an "epic" macbook! - 09/02/08 11:38 AM

Adam, this sounds awesome. Take your time with it as it will be hard to get things looking right around the edges and such. I like the older apple look over just solid red personally. The solid red is too dark for my taste. I would probably just leave the logo white if it were me. I like the idea of the blackout keyboard. Again, not so keen on the red.

Can't wait to see some pics. Keep us updated!
Posted by: Adam The ~Geek~

Re: On the journey to an "epic" macbook! - 09/02/08 01:15 PM

Thanks for your input! once again, i will see as i go. i am still having trouble with the funds for this project. but i think i am going to do the outside carbon fiber parts normal carbon fiber (lets abbreviate it CF from now on) and the inside CF a red carbon fiber. make the keyboard all black. we will see as it goes on. and about the corners, i have experimented with this material before, and with a heatgun, you can bend around the corners... shouldnt be a problem! **Thumbs up**