Nylon Composite iBook

Posted by: qwertyuiop

Nylon Composite iBook - 04/02/08 06:31 PM

I have doing research on composite materials such as carbon fiber composite and Kevlar composite, and decided I was going to make a new iBook lid out of carbon fiber (for the great mod challenge), but it has drawbacks, one crack and it's useless, and really expensive. I decided to try to use nylon instead of Carbon fiber and make my own composite material I settled on nylon, it should be more flexible than carbon fiber and much cheaper. After a trip to lowes I had epoxy resin and hardener, then to walmart for nylon. I tried to create a new case for my portable hard drive and failed the first time, it's sides were wrinkled and it was ugly, probably because I was not prepared, I'd never done anything like this before. My messed up piece seemed pretty flexible, so I made a new case with more layers of nylon, its drying now. I'll post pics of it tomorrow.
Posted by: 987687

Re: Nylon Composite iBook - 04/02/08 07:14 PM

I am interested in this because I have mused over casting a computer case in carbon fiber for a while. The cost always stops me short though. I am interested in seeing how this goes though. Maybe my laptop will get a new case... smile
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re: Nylon Composite iBook - 04/02/08 09:32 PM

cool mod! I wanna see pics!
Posted by: qwertyuiop

Re: Nylon Composite iBook - 04/03/08 01:22 PM

Ha Ha, I have done it! It's cured, but not dry. You can see the original metal case next to it it says "VAIO"