PowerBook G4 Wood Cover

Posted by: juanski

PowerBook G4 Wood Cover - 02/24/08 09:23 PM

This is actually an old mod of mine, but since I just sold it I thought that I would post a picture of it.

It was pretty easy to do. I went down to the local ACE hardware store and bought a thin piece of Birch Veener. I used a CAD drawing that someone had made of the Powerbook G4 TI and used that as a template for cutting out the Apple logo and rounding the corners. I used some Gorilla glue to attach it. Here is a picture of the finished results.

- Juan
[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->Mactop.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]
Posted by: BigO

Re: PowerBook G4 Wood Cover - 02/25/08 07:58 AM

Nice! So you just glued it right on top of the metal on top?
Posted by: juanski

Re: PowerBook G4 Wood Cover - 02/25/08 12:41 PM

Yep. Glue on metal. There were a couple of air bubles that formed but since the glue took 24 hours to cure.... and the fact that I am impatient. I was able to smooth them out.
You can see inthe corner where the cover got nicked and broke off.

I am getting ready to do another one but this time in leather. I am making a scouting trip to the Goodwill store to find a donor jacket to provide a piece of leather that will work.
I'll post my results when I get there.

- juanski
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re: PowerBook G4 Wood Cover - 02/25/08 02:34 PM

Nice, sounds really cool. Why not make a mod guide for it. We would love to feature that.
Posted by: BigO

Re: PowerBook G4 Wood Cover - 02/25/08 02:40 PM

Originally Posted By: "juanski"
I am getting ready to do another one but this time in leather.

Are you planning on putting leather on just the top or on the top and bottom? I would worry about heat issues if you cover the bottom.