1ghz G4 12" iBook in a G3 case?

Posted by: TonimusMaximus

1ghz G4 12" iBook in a G3 case? - 01/08/08 12:45 AM

Greetings everyone. My problem: I want my 12" iBook G4 to have a color scheme like the transparent G3's which are painted on the inside. Possible Solution: I ordered both the LCD top cover and the main logic botttom cover from a transparent G3 iBook. From all the literature I've found, I have deduced 2 things which may or may not be accurate. First, that no one KNOWS if a bottom cover from a G3 will bolt up to the bottom of a G4. Second, that the only visual difference I can see from photos is the opening for the optical drive. I could easily be wrong on the first, but this is a mod, so maybe I can make it work anyway. I've already ordered the new covers, and we'll see what happens. I'm posting this because I'm curious if anyone else has attempted this or would like to see it done? confused
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: 1ghz G4 12" iBook in a G3 case? - 01/08/08 12:54 AM

I reckon it'll go. Maybe a little work but I reckon it'll go.
Posted by: modyourmac

Re: 1ghz G4 12" iBook in a G3 case? - 01/08/08 09:28 AM

They're slightly different. Specifically, the bottom case is different around the optical drive bay on the G3 and G4 systems. They're also slightly different in the battery well. you may have to file or sand some edges to get the bottom case on. The top case, it ought to fit without too much trouble.
Posted by: 987687

Re: 1ghz G4 12" iBook in a G3 case? - 01/08/08 01:39 PM

Go for it, I have wanted to do this for a long time with my G4 iBook. Along with some crazy other ideas too...
Posted by: anil8tor

Re: 1ghz G4 12" iBook in a G3 case? - 01/08/08 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: "modyourmac"
you may have to file or sand some edges to get the bottom case on. The top case, it ought to fit without too much trouble.

File? Sand? No no no no.....

Dremel!

Always use power tools when possible!
Posted by: reLAXER564

Re: 1ghz G4 12" iBook in a G3 case? - 01/08/08 06:32 PM

Before they G4's were released they started making G3's with the Opaque cases. I wanted to do a similar thing were I had a transparent case from an older G3 that I was hoping to paint and then put onto my newer iBook G3. I found out that the transparent casing had a cushion lining type thing on the inside of the bezel. When I went to try and fit the transparent case on the newer G3, the bezel did not fit because of this cushioning. Like War said, it may be a little work to get it off but I think the colored look is definitely worth the effort.

After writing that I went to take a picture and realized that it's more of a glue material on the inside of the bezel (which I am pretty sure can be easily removed). It was a combination of this and that the inside of the newer iBook was larger so there was an obvious gap around the sides. But hey, I say go for it!
Posted by: gthicjohn

Re: 1ghz G4 12" iBook in a G3 case? - 01/08/08 06:39 PM

This will be a great mod when your done!
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re: 1ghz G4 12" iBook in a G3 case? - 01/08/08 09:51 PM

another option would be to dye the cases you have that DO fit. You can put them in boiling water so they get really hot and then add the dye color of your choice, let it soak for a while and walah, colored ibook.

P.S. - this works for the opaque cases. *not sure about the black ones on the macbooks.
Posted by: modyourmac

Re: 1ghz G4 12" iBook in a G3 case? - 01/09/08 09:24 AM

Originally Posted By: "anil8tor"

Dremel!

Always use power tools when possible!

There was a time when I believed that to be true. However, a dremel generates one thing that sandpaper doesnt. Excessive, plastic melting heat.

So, while I try to subscribe to the wisdom of power tools, I also am a firm believer in the "right tool for the right job" which (prepare for blasphemy) isnt always a dremel.

Re: 1ghz G4 12" iBook in a G3 case? - 01/11/08 03:09 AM

I just got my Superdrive in, which I plan to toss in when I open the case up. However, I am still waiting on the new case itself. I'm thinking I may dye the keys on my keyboard as well. I'm thinking a nice shade of red would be kinda sweet.
Posted by: reLAXER564

Re: 1ghz G4 12" iBook in a G3 case? - 01/11/08 07:11 AM

If you are planning on upgrading, I would highly recommend upgrading the HD before putting the case back on. With the operating system and a decent music collection, a 30gb HD fills up pretty quickly.

Re: 1ghz G4 12" iBook in a G3 case? - 01/12/08 02:31 AM

Good news! I got my new covers in today and they look good. More good news, the battery well appears to me the same. The mod begins on Tuesday, so wish me luck. Here's some pics.

Re: 1ghz G4 12" iBook in a G3 case? - 01/13/08 07:50 PM

I've got the top cover clean, but now I'm working on the bottom cover. The glue/padding that reLAXER wrote of is a bear to get out. I finally got it out by sacrificing my grocery store discount card to scrape it off, let it sit in alcohol, then scrape some more. 2 hours later, I have a clean top and bottom. 8)

95% COMPLETE AND OPERATIONAL!!! - 01/19/08 12:39 PM

I'm done with everything except fitting a piece of acrylic to cover the optical bay hole. These are the pictures of the cleaned G3 cases.

Here's the painted bottom.

In this photo, if you look closely, you can see I had to enlarge the holes that secure the cover. It was easily done with an exacto. Don't worry that the space between them looks different. The grill on the top cover is the same size as the G3 cover. The elargement on the G4 doesn't increase any airflow.

In this one, you can see the posts that the large hex screws for the bottom cover are. Those need to be shaved down to the same level as the G4 cover.

Here's a picture of the optical bay. This almost fit with no modification. You have to shave about 1.5mm of plastic off of the left bottom corner of the slot bezel.

Here are two picts of the nearly completed modification. I used a Nasa picture of the Horsehead and Flame nebulas for the top cover.

If you have any questions, please ask!
Posted by: 987687

Re: 1ghz G4 12" iBook in a G3 case? - 01/19/08 12:43 PM

Sweetness!! I like it. But what are you doing about the battery? There has to be some way to colour that too.

Re: 1ghz G4 12" iBook in a G3 case? - 01/20/08 01:37 AM

If anyone has a clear G3 battery plastic, I'd love to procure it. But it looks like I'm going to have to research the batteries and see if they are cross compatible and then just buy one. confused
Posted by: flippy10

Re: 1ghz G4 12" iBook in a G3 case? - 02/12/08 07:44 PM

Woo! Score man. It looks boss.
I did this mod to my iBook G4 a couple months back.
I put a small piece of cut/bent aluminum over the gap in the optical bay.
And I was brainstorming.. You know how MCE has the Superdrive thats designed for the tray loader slot in the G3?
I wonder if that would fit correctly, and fill the gap nicely. I'm not sure the mount points would be the same, but most optical drives follow a slim-line standard. It would be worth a try, I think.
I left mine clear though, and LED'd the bottom (off the 5v from the Firewire :D)

Re: 1ghz G4 12" iBook in a G3 case? - 04/01/09 06:38 AM

Just an update. The G3 iBook battery cover is the same size as the G4. I was able to get my hands on a clear one, and got it painted to match. Looks sweet now. I still haven't covered the whole below the optical drive, but oh well.