iBook G4 Mods

Posted by: flippy10

iBook G4 Mods - 09/05/07 11:38 AM

Hey Guys, I'm a bit new here. But I just got my hands on my first real powerful Mac. (though I've been using them since Apple II/si)

Anyway, I've got a couple things I wanted to give a try with my iBook G4.
Specs:
1.2Ghz G4 + 1.25GB DDR + 120GB Scorpio HDD + Superdrive

Now, I really am not quite sure what to do with it. I did the various hardware upgrades, but I was looking for a fun Mod project to really get this thing moving.

I was thinking of possibly modding the top cover, painting it black (Although it's not like the G3s where I can paint it on the inside of the case sadly..) cutting a window in it.. Possibly lighting modifications.

If anybody has any projects they know about, or anything at all. I'm more than intrested. Otherwise, I'm just going to wing it.

I also just got my hands on 2 Pismos that are in severe need of some upgrade and modification. 550Mhz G4 Upgrade Here We come! Smiley
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re: iBook G4 Mods - 09/05/07 02:34 PM

Painting is always popular with these models.  Be original, think of something wild and have fun with it.  Thats the point of modding.  If someone else comes up with the idea, where is the fun in that? 

Re: iBook G4 Mods - 09/05/07 04:11 PM

See, I already have a unique paint design ready. But I think my biggest issue is that I'm weary to paint atop the hardcover. I really don't want to end up having paint chip off/scratch easily.

Heres the plan so far:

I was thinking a Plastic Primer - Black Flat Top Coat - Polyurethane finish.

My Apple will be turned red using a Red Spotlight Gel.

My middle layer (where the lid hook/sleep light is:
Plastic Primer - Flat Grey Top Coat - Polyurethane finish

And the bottom is going to be stock white.

I was also thinking about adding dual white LEDs to light up the keyboard in darker areas.
Does anybody know if the translucent key iBook G3 keyboards are compatible with iBook G4s? Because solid white keys really don't do too well when it comes to lighting. (iBook G3 12' - iBook G4 12')

I'm having trouble coming across some information on painting the iBook G4's plastic white case... I just want to make sure I'm using the right combination of paint/finish. I don't want to have it start to chip. smirk

http://www.applefritter.com/hacks/tronbook
(This makes me sooooo jealous of iBook G3s.)

Re: iBook G4 Mods - 09/07/07 11:32 PM

Ok, a bit of a change of technique/idea. But same stuff basically.
I painted both the top cover panel and the bottom panel. I used a black metallic paint and engine clear coat (resistant up to 500F smile ) I took both panels, and sanded them with 1200k grit sand paper. I cleaned them afterward throughly with rubbing alcohol and then the fun starts. Since the black metallic I got was made for toolboxes, it's basically already pretty gouge-proof (tested or I wouldn't beleive it.) but the engine clear coat is there to seal the deal. I put the first coat of black on. waited 5 hours, second coat of black. Waited 6 hours. 3rd coat of black. (in between-- wet sanding each time.) and finally I just put the last coat of black on. Tomorrow when I awaken I will finish clear coating (3 coats) thing should look way sexy when it's finished though. I left the inner parts white (inner screen bezel and hand rest/keyboard.) I'm now looking for a fully intact iBook G3 15' keyboard or a 12' one would work too.
I need to find someplace to tap 3-5v from that only is powered when the computer is on. If anybody knows of a good spot.. Please note. Or it's to the multimeter I go! 
Posted by: soundmann18

Re: iBook G4 Mods - 09/08/07 06:52 AM

you could possible get that from usb, although I don't know much about that.  I would try to add some type of switch so you can turn off the lights, like if you're trying to watch a movie on it or are taking it out and want to conserve battery life

Re: iBook G4 Mods - 09/08/07 12:47 PM

Wow, I'm retarded I completely forgot USB uses straight 5v.
It'll have a small toggle that I'm painting white and integrating so that it doesn't protrude out of the case.
Sorry I don't have a mod guide.. I tried to take pictures but my camera is the ultimate crap.
I'm sure this has been done and overdone anyway. smirk

Aside from that though, it's only two white LEDs which won't shave too much off the battery time. But regardless, it's really just for show.

Re: iBook G4 Mods - 09/08/07 11:35 PM

iBook just died. High five for me being a complete ass.
Won't respond to power button, tried removing the battery for 5 minutes and trying again. No dice.