iBook G3 - broken hinge

Posted by: nilobject

iBook G3 - broken hinge - 08/15/07 09:20 AM

edit: sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

my g3's hinge broke. i don't want to keep using it, in case i sever the cable to the lcd.
i don't particularly want to buy a new hinge for it, but i have no problem in taking the book apart and modding:)

if i remove the lcd, is there anything i have to keep in mind while using or storing the machine? is it relatively easy to extend the cables to the lcd, so that i can have the machine near my dvd player, and the lcd hanging on the wall above the tv? i'll have the rgb/av out going into the dvd player to easily view on the tv. but if i'm watching tv, i'll want to see the mac os on the lcd.

i was thinking of writing a media app like front row, that also accessed my local tv channel guides, youtube and other things i'd like to view on a tv..../cough emulation /cough. even just to check my torrents without getting off the couch smile

that's basically what i'm thinking, unless someone can persuade me it'd be put to better use in my car, or a server or dev help box, whatever. inspire me:)

thanks guys
Posted by: maestro

Re: iBook G3 - broken hinge - 08/15/07 09:54 AM

I may have a set of hinges around here somewhere.  Ill take a look.

Re: iBook G3 - broken hinge - 08/15/07 08:15 PM

hey. that'd be awesome. no wonder you're a hero:)
Posted by: zenstate

Re: iBook G3 - broken hinge - 08/19/07 07:22 AM

Apple has a bit of a history with hinge issues on their laptops.  The worst ever was the Powerbook 500 series.  I had a 540c in the late 90's and I had major hinge issues.

How hard can it be to make a good hinge?  Shame on Apple!

Re: iBook G3 - broken hinge - 08/20/07 11:19 PM

lol
i think apple users are a little more adventurous than our w/intel counterparts. my g3 and g4 have both had a life far more exciting than my dad's dell could ever imagine. i think the dell would stop booting if i got my hands on it.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: iBook G3 - broken hinge - 08/20/07 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: "zenstate "

Apple has a bit of a history with hinge issues on their laptops.  The worst ever was the Powerbook 500 series.  I had a 540c in the late 90's and I had major hinge issues.

How hard can it be to make a good hinge?  Shame on Apple!

I would have said the TiBook hinges were the worst. Probably the flimsiest hinges in history.