Case mod for aluminum G4 12 inch powerbook

Posted by: tamtam

Case mod for aluminum G4 12 inch powerbook - 07/17/07 12:34 PM

Hey all...

I'm very new to this and curious how easy it would be to replace just the bottom casing on my laptop.  Would it be possible to modify a 12-inch iBook bottom casing to fit on the Powerbook?  Of course it'd probably be more interesting to build my own...Any tips?  I like the idea of a plastic or plexiglass bottom case...transparent would be awesome.

Thanks!
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Case mod for aluminum G4 12 inch powerbook - 07/17/07 02:39 PM

Thats much trickier than it sounds my friend. Apple parts are not often standard sizes or shapes (with the exception of drives), and nowhere is this more pronounced than in their laptops. As luck would have it, the iBook and PowerBook 12" logic boards are similar in size and shape but the PowerBook has an extra board to attach to it. Even with the similarities, the other ancillary parts have to connect in certain places and building the necessary extension cables would be a ludicrous job. Not to mention remodelling the case to accomadate the wrong board with good mounts and mylar or EMI shielding, plus heat sinks would probably need to be custom made too.
Also, the PB uses its metal case to dissipate heat. A PB board in an iBook case may be too hot.
Posted by: tamtam

Re: Case mod for aluminum G4 12 inch powerbook - 07/17/07 08:22 PM

Thanks for the response!  I figured it wouldn't be simple, if even possible.

Any suggestions/ideas for crafting your own case for a 12 inch aluminum Powerbook?

Thanks.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Case mod for aluminum G4 12 inch powerbook - 07/18/07 06:55 AM

If you are skilled at panel beating, You could make one out of copper or some other interesting metal. I always liked that rainbow effect you can get on copper with a blowtorch......
Posted by: modyourmac

Re: Case mod for aluminum G4 12 inch powerbook - 07/18/07 09:23 AM

It'd definitely be a challenge. The 12" Powerbook is, of the aluminum machines, the largest pain to work on. Everything is contained within the bottom case, which means you would have to strip the entire machine. Beyond that, you'd have to craft or have manufactured, a new bottom case that was to spec. By that I mean that it would have to fit everything, and have all of the screw mounts in place so that everything could be held into place.

If you've got some serious metal-working skills, possibly. If you have a bottom case you can give to a manufacturer in order to have a duplicate made from a secondary metal, sure. By hand, I dunno.

In regard to the whole ibook bottom case on a powerbook, the short answer is no. they're 100% different.