My first custom laptop

Posted by: Evil_Macs

My first custom laptop - 05/29/07 09:47 PM

Hi everyone,
            So I decided to build my first custom machine and I came up with this rugged laptop.

I just have a couple minor things to tweak on it but it's pretty much done. Any feedbacks or comments would be appreciated.

Here are a couple of pictures of the process:

Posted by: Kisin

Re: My first custom laptop - 05/29/07 10:15 PM

nice, look like you could launch some nukes with that thing! wink
Posted by: manhackman

Re: My first custom laptop - 05/29/07 10:16 PM

looks amazing!!! what are the specs on the machine?

Re: My first custom laptop - 05/30/07 06:19 AM

Thanks for the comments guys. Well for this puter I used a PowerBook G4 with 800Mgz and 500 gigs or ram. I picked it up on craigslist for $350. I just could not see myself tearing apart a brand new Mac Book Pro for my initial build. This particular laptop made this project a challenge to complete. Since all the ports are in the back and the LVDS cable being so short, it was hard to position the monitor where I wanted.
        Also finding where to tap into on the logic board to provide power for the LED on the power button was also a challenge. I found a few places that would be powered all the time even if the laptop was off. After searching for a while I found this spot that provided 5V only when the laptop was powered. So I was able to solder right to it:

Here is a shot of an early comp:

I want to build a whole line of "Evil" macs so I just recently came up with this new one:

This one is still on its very very early stages. I'm going to be chopping up a G4 Quicksilver for this one.
I'm having too much fun these days.

-Chris
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: My first custom laptop - 05/30/07 01:51 PM

I use to slap Evil Inside on the intel macs on my old job for fun.
Posted by: macDeviant

Re: My first custom laptop - 05/30/07 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: "Evil_Macs "

...a PowerBook G4 with 800Mgz and 500 gigs or ram.

and i thought the 4 gigs on my QUAD was alot... :P laugh

Re: My first custom laptop - 05/30/07 04:22 PM

okay that was the wrong smiley to use.... and what's the deal with not being able to edit ones own post after a certain amount of time?
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: My first custom laptop - 05/30/07 05:33 PM

I think he meant Meg not Gig. I hear that slip uo 10 times a day.

Re: My first custom laptop - 05/30/07 05:47 PM

Ooops yeah I meant Megs......  :-[

Re: My first custom laptop - 05/30/07 06:36 PM

yeah i know he meant megs... just playing around.

I like how clean your mod is. under the hood can't always be helped, but the outside looks quite good. nice little touch with the power button too.

Re: My first custom laptop - 05/30/07 06:58 PM

Thanks  ;) yeah under the hood was a pain, I tried to keep everything as clean and "dark" as possible. The red power button was inspired by the Terminator's eye  >:D
Posted by: zenstate

Re: My first custom laptop - 05/30/07 08:14 PM

well done and a cool idea